Am I too young? Embarrassed to see GP.

JenMcAll

Sep 18, 2016
Hi, I thought I would research a little into this before I went to a GP in fear they may not take me seriously.
I attempted to read a little but found it all a bit overwhelming and confusing.
I am 33 years old and feel like maybe I have symptoms or I'm just losing my marbles unsure!
I struggle to remember things lately, like passwords and PIN numbers, what I'm doing or supposed to do. I find concentrating difficult and even reading can be a chore, it's really frustrating when I don't understand what people are telling me and they have to explain it over and over again. I noticed something that does stand out and that's not being able to join in with conversation, Losing trail of thought and completely forgetting what I was talking about. Then I will tell someone he same thing when I see them again even though I have already told them the same thing last time. I think I may even be waffling now.
I have thought about going to the GP, but I'm really afraid of them not taking me seriously because I always thought it was something related when your in your 60s plus?
Two of my grandparents had it and we have heart disease in the family too.

Is it really that rare at my age? Some feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks .

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
It sounds like you are experiencing lots of things which are giving you cause for concern and it might be an idea to go and see the GP.

There are a number of different things that can cause the symptoms you are describing which are not necessarily dementia related, for example stress. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that it is dementia, particularly when you've seen it in the family but the GP will hopefully be able to do some tests to look for the cause

You might find it helpful to write down your concerns before going to the GP as it is easy to forget something important

Good luck

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Please go and see your GP.

Lots of things can cause the memory problems you're experiencing and it doesn't have to be dementia related. For example, a lack of vitamin B12, thyroid problems and stress all cause similar issues with concentration and memory.

I think it's a great idea to write down what you want to say (like SammyJo suggests), and provide several examples for the GP. They will probably do some blood tests to rule out some of these things.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Hello Jen,
I can't imagine how worried and stressed you feel by this - and of course, that in itself is a self perpetuating cycle... the more worried and stressed we feel the worse the side effects (including all the things you describe)

I agree with Sammyjo and Soobee, please make an appointment to see your GP and definitely make a few notes about your concerns to take with you.

best wishes...

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Jen, welcome to TP
Get yourself to the doctors ASAP is my advice. Whilst there is a very small possibility it is early onset AZ it's much more likely it's something else and may well be something easily treatable like a thyroid condition.
There are any number of things that could be causing this and it needs to be investigated properly, tests, scans and all the rest.
If (and it's a very big IF) it is AZ then you need to get medication started as soon as possible, I would describe the symptoms to the doctor and mention the family history of AZ as a possibility and see what they say.
It was quite difficult to get my wife diagnosed (early 50's at the time) as doctors don't really think about it, they were more inclined to put it down to the menopause as she was at that age or depression as the last of the children leaving home.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'd say your chances of getting dementia at 33 are really quite slim. When people say early onset, they usually mean in their fifties. It's most likely to be a vitamin deficiency or something else that can be found with a blood test and is easily treatable. So get yourself to a GP.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
As others have said, you need to see your GP and there are other things which could be ruled out, but don't be embarrassed.

It would be incredibly rare to have a dementia so young but there was a woman diagnosed at 32 and I was diagnosed earlier this year at 39 so it does happen.

All the best.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Probably stress at age 33

Could be vitamin deficiency
Could be low sodium
Could be thyroid
Could be what Dr google suggests
Could be anything
Could be what you assume it is

You won't know until....

You Go and see a GP and have any tests GP puts you through

And breathe

Then listen to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJk02XI_sRA

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chairman56

Nov 21, 2016
Your GP will spend a lot of time dealing with people who really aren't unwell at all.

He/she will therefore welcome somebody (i.e. yourself) who has a genuine concern for their health so please don't feel embarrassed about going along.

I'm no expert but 33 seems far too young for dementia and there may be many other causes. It may be something simple and easily cured - or something more serious but treatable.

Don't feel foolish - please go and make that appointment.

oldman1952

Apr 4, 2014
Too young to get dementia.

As others have said, you need to see your GP and there are other things which could be ruled out, but don't be embarrassed.

It would be incredibly rare to have a dementia so young but there was a woman diagnosed at 32 and I was diagnosed earlier this year at 39 so it does happen.

All the best.

Hi danonwheels, there are sub-types of dementia. Frontal temporal lobe is one such illness, not uncommon with the younger generation. Pre 40's even younger. Usually called Pick's disease after the psychiatrist/psychologist who noticed it in much younger patients in the 1800's. Google Pick's or FTL dementia. It has some quite similar symptoms to what the Poster of the symptoms had. Regards Peter.