Alzheimers 7+ years in

Hugh76

Jan 25, 2024
Hello all. I am joining the forum in the expectation that I can get advice and possibly impart some of the same to fellow members. My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers a little over 5 years ago and after caring for her at home she first spent some time in a hospital mental health unit and was then discharged into a nursing home.
Wednesdays is dementia cafe day which to everyone who attends is the highlight of the week. I know it can be difficult to get people to attend but I find that for both carer and sufferer being able to talk and laugh with understanding people helps you get through the week

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Hugh76 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum, it's good that you've found us as this is a supportive, friendly place with a lot of shared experience. I haven't attended a dementia cafe myself as there were none local when my mum was living at home, but others on here have attended them, and similar groups, and found them really beneficial and a good place to meet others in the same position. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Hugh76.

Thank you for sharing with us. I know how important dementia cafes are - both for the person with dementia and for the carer. My husband and I attend one right up until the week before he died - almost 8 years ago. I made many friends at these cafes and now a few us have lost our husbands we still meet up to chat - and even go on holiday together.

For me the dementia cafes were a silver lining.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.