Left to fight on my own

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
SS will try to 'guilt trip' you so you will need to be strong and keep saying no and remind them that they have the duty of care not you. I hope that all goes well for you.

tryingtobesuperwoman

May 9, 2023
You said in your original piece that :-

So was your husband in hospital from June 2020 until June 2023? I think I’ve not read that correctly.
Having a DOLS and being sectioned are two different things. With a DOLS in place , there would be no need for a section 3 to have happened. So I am assuming that he was under the DOLS when he was admitted in 2020 , he was then discharged home but due to behavioural issues he was admitted again but this time under section 2 and then section 3 ? Section 3 automatically triggers section 117 aftercare either at home or in residential care. If at home it means that care put in place could be :-
  • healthcare
  • social care and employment services
  • supported accommodation
  • services to meet your social, cultural and spiritual needs – as long as they meet a need that arises from or is related to your mental condition and help reduce the risk of your mental condition getting worse.
Given that every time he has been discharged home his condition has gone from stable to being readmitted, I.e. got worse, I don’t think the sw has a leg to stand on. If you refuse point blank to provide any care whatsoever, how can he possible come home. No one can “make” you care for him and without care for a significant portion of the day he will have to be readmitted …..again.
Say you will out of the house most of the day and that you may not sleep there some nights. Like @Bod says stick to your guns.
I've read it back and, you're right, the dates make no sense, hard to concentrate at the moment.

After the June 2020 stroke he was placed on DOLS as he kept trying to leave the hospital. Following a time at a rehabilitation centre (also under DOLS) he came home in September 2020.

He had a further stroke in September 2022, where the consultant referred him to the memory clinic as his memory had significantly worsened. We met his first CPN in the new year 2023.

Forward to April 2023 when I came home from walking the dog. He said he had taken an overdose and 'want to be dead'. Some words just stick with you.

Ambulance came and took him to A&E. He was discharged home in the early hours followed by a visit from mental health workers. They said he should be admitted due to his presentation but a Social Worker on the phone believed he had capacity after a 2 minute call. I was advised by the mental health worker to take him myself and a bed would be waiting when we arrived. She would be discussing it with her manager as she wasn't in agreement with the Social Worker. It seems a common thread, in a very short space of time all involved Social Workers, so far, deem him to have capacity. He was high functioning though.

He was admitted to the psychiatric hospital, where, after 28 days, he was subject to Section 3, triggering S117. His allocated CPN, at the discharge meeting, said there wasn't enough support put in place. OH then started to receive 6 hours support a week with a personal assistant. Looking back, I was so naive, I also gave up my job to care for him 24/7. There was very little help. Thankfully, I have been offered my old job back and am waiting for a start date.

This is the 2nd emergency respite since Christmas. Now I've had some time to reflect at home I've realised how hard it's been. I do not want to go back to that. His behaviour in our small 1 bedroom bungalow has meant I've walked on eggshells not to upset him. He hasn't been physically abusive but he slams doors, shouts and takes himself to bed for days, not eating or taking his medication. I sleep on the sofa, but then that angers him too.

Now the new Social Worker says, as he says he wants to go home, they can't legally stop him as we own the home jointly. I'm waiting for my GP and his consultant to ring tomorrow to get their views. I need to be prepared for this meeting as all hell will break loose, especially if I have the responsibility to tell him he's not coming home.

I really think I have done enough and am prepared to go to court if needed. It's just so upsetting, not being able to eat properly, I've lost 7 stones since last November. I don't want to live this way, I need a life.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
All on side batting for you, just chuck the house keys in the middle and tell them to sort it out. They have a duty of care, we do it for love. Never play patient poker with me. K

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't try, just do it, it's ugly and it shouldn't come to this but they have a duty of care, I don't, don't let them exploit the love. K

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Well if he is on 117 aftercare then the assumption is that he is not better or now more capable of looking after himself. Therefore he needs specific care from professionals ,you are not the professional and do not have the necessary training or back up support. When it came to choosing a home for my mum using 117 aftercare funding, I told the sw to crack on with it because it was not my area of expertise and I did not have known of what homes could provide the care needed. I then stopped answering my phone! They soon found her a home and she is being very well cared for.
Well done! @SAP

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
Apologies in advance, this will be a long post.

Brief background:

Husband was admitted to a mental health hospital last Spring due to an overdose where he was diagnosed with vascular dementia - due to a major stroke in June 2020, and behavioural problems since then. A DOLS order was in place whilst he was in hospital in 2020.

Discharged home June 2023 under Section 117 aftercare. Emergency respite needed December 2023 for 2 weeks.

Due to behavioural issues emergency respite started April 2024 where he remains today.

CPN visited the care home a few weeks ago to tell him that he wouldn't be coming home and supported accommodation would be best. Husband didn't deal with this well and rang me constantly very upset. He has since forgotten the conversation believing he will come home.

Fast forward to last Tuesday where the Social Workers carried out an assessment at the home. This is the first time they have met him. The CPN and care home nurse were present. Care Home stated he would find it difficult to cope at home and the set routines were good for him.

Social Worker asked husbands wishes, he said he wants to come home. That was taken as a clear intention so legal advice to be sought as I said I couldn't cope and wouldn't agree to a trial period at home. CPN stated that would set us up to fail and could last possibly for just a few hours.

Spoke to CPN on the telephone this morning. Next date for the meeting tbc but possibly next Wednesday. He advised that the Social is seeking legal advice and that it would be up to me to tell my husband that he can't come home. He saw my husband in the home yesterday and said he was fine.

I questioned why he told my husband he couldn't come home previously and that it's at odds with what's happening now. His reply was that was then and husband is presenting differently now.

I'm sat here in tears, fearful of what will happen next week. Their support has been withdrawn and it's now all on my shoulders.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi sorry for your experience and sorry I can’t give you advice I’ve been diagnosed with vascular dementia and to be honest I’m getting really scared with all the stuff I read sorry again I can’t give you any advice x

tryingtobesuperwoman

May 9, 2023
Hi sorry for your experience and sorry I can’t give you advice I’ve been diagnosed with vascular dementia and to be honest I’m getting really scared with all the stuff I read sorry again I can’t give you any advice x
Hello @Johnmc65. I'm sorry you've been diagnosed. From my understanding ithe condition affects people in different ways. What affects one person may not occur in another. I hope you have support. There are many people in the forum that have lots of experience, it can help to post and seek advice when you need it. Take care.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Thanks for your kind advice and hope you get all help you deserve
Hi @Johnmc65 My step daughter’s stepfather developed vascular dementia following a quite severe stroke. He still managed (despite almost complete left side paralysis) to have 12 good years, when he continued to regularly visit a son in Canada and another in the UK, go on other holidays, continue singing in a make voice choir and doing other things he enjoyed. One person’s experience is not another’s. Do not under estimate the power of positive thinking and the desire to just get on and make the best of the life you have. Wishing you the very very best.

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
Hi @Johnmc65 My step daughter’s stepfather developed vascular dementia following a quite severe stroke. He still managed (despite almost complete left side paralysis) to have 12 good years, when he continued to regularly visit a son in Canada and another in the UK, go on other holidays, continue singing in a make voice choir and doing other things he enjoyed. One person’s experience is not another’s. Do not under estimate the power of positive thinking and the desire to just get on and make the best of the life you have. Wishing you the very very best.
My god I know I’ve got a lot ahead of me I’ve been waiting to hear that for a long time positive thinking and liv life to the full thank you for your positive words