Always cold and wanting fire on!!

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
It is 24 degrees in our house at the moment - without a fire - and my husband (91 with vascular dementia) always wants the fire on because he's cold even though he has a blanket round his legs,. The probability is, it's because he doesn't blankety blank move. I also put one round his body, but he decided to keep blowing his nose on it instead of the hankies in front of him. I've had to give into him after a few choice words. I really don't know what else to do, apart from scream

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hot water bottle (with a cover!) on his lap? A heating pad?

I feel the cold a lot, even when others are hot! But I've learned the best thing is to warm me, not the room. Extra layers, furry slipper-boots, blankets, etc.

Ask your husband which bit of him is cold and wrap it up! And go for several smaller fleece blankets - they wash and dry easily...

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
OH 67, Diabetes 1, Parkinsons and dementia. We used to joke he was a polar bear as he was always too hot in the coldest of weathers while
I needed a jumper under 25C. He hated hot weather Now he says he's too cold, even while red faced and hot to the touch and sweating. With thick socks, long sleeve shirt and a pullover. Parkinsons and dementia both upset your inner thermostat so a Parkinsons or dementia victim may not know if they are really hot or cold, they just think so. I'm in t shirt today and it's a heat wave....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was the same. He had diabetes type 2 and dementia.

He wasn’t always a cold person but as his dementia progressed he felt the cold more than ever.

It was as if his body thermostat was faulty.

In hot weather, he needed the fire on while I had to sit in the garden for some air.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother was the same. She's now been in a care home for several years and one very hot summer day (it must have been about 30 degrees) I visited and she was sitting under a blanket! The care home do not put the heating on in those temperatures on needless to say, residents are given warmer clothing and blankets if they are cold.

Last edited:

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
My mum is the same. Hyper sensitive to cold since dementia has progressed. She can grt very upset by it which leads me to believe she is feeling a totally different temperature to those withiut brain impairment.

Maybe a little halogen/blow heater that blows directly on to him? It will still heat the room but maybe less intense than a full fire? Unfortunately likely to be very sore on electric bill

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Feeling too cold or too hot is miserable. Please take care that your loved one does not overheat in hot weather, or suffer hypothermia in cold weather. The problem could be the brain thermostat stuck at the wrong end of the heat range, not the current temperature of the body. OH has warmed up properly this evening in the heatwave. Yesterday he was well wrapped up, red faced, sweating and hot to the touch, saying he was cold. He wasn't.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
My Mum’s the same and has been saying she’s cold all this week, when we’ve had the hottest days so far this year in the 20s. She always wears thin clothes and refuses to add more layers or have a lap blanket, so my poor Dad’s been having to sit in the lounge with all the windows closed and the fire on. Thankfully she sits with her back to the lounge door so it can be opened for a bit of ventilation. She never notices a difference. It’s definitely her internal heat regulation which is faulty.

Channelite2004

Jun 3, 2024
It is 24 degrees in our house at the moment - without a fire - and my husband (91 with vascular dementia) always wants the fire on because he's cold even though he has a blanket round his legs,. The probability is, it's because he doesn't blankety blank move. I also put one round his body, but he decided to keep blowing his nose on it instead of the hankies in front of him. I've had to give into him after a few choice words. I really don't know what else to do, apart from scream
My husband has Vascular dementia which has been caused from his coronary artery disease, the heart will try to get blood to the brain and other organs before their feet and hands, therefore they are often cold in those areas

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Thanks for sharing this, my oh with alzheimers is the same, yesterday it was lovely outside, very warm....he had the heating turned up to 24 degrees.....he sits with fleece on and gloves...when he's sleeping , I have 2 summer duvets on his bed, he wraps them around him, just his face peeping out, duvets are always damp every morning, pillow slip and bottom sheet too, I cant use a heavier duvet, as I'd never get it in the washing machine...and he keeps his socks on in bed...

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi, yes my oh is part of the" I'm cold club"🤣 Yesterday I played bowls, he sat and watched,thermal vest long sleeved shirt and cardigan. And... His hands were cold although he didn't say he felt cold, but the temp was 29°c.

I bought him a small fleece blanket that has wires in that has a power pack pocket and is usb rechargeable. I put that over him if he says he's cold . To be fair to him his hands and feet are like ice and very rarely warm even in summer. He has heart failure and dementia .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Story