Air travel with dimentia

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
My husband has early stage Alzheimer's and is still ok from day to day. But we plan one last long-haul journey in the autumn. Who knows what changes might happen before then, but THEN, how does one cope with airplane travel? Is it possible? What are the pitfalls? Add in slight incontinence and does it become a nightmare? Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband and I travelled while he was in the early stages of dementia. In fact we travelled even as his dementia advanced. Having said that we never did long haul.

It would be wise to like the airline know about your husband’s diagnosis. I did this and always found cabin crew very supportive. I also used airport assistance. I’m not sure how your husband would feel about this as he is in the early stages of dementia and may not want the help. You could always say that it’s an extra included in the cost of your tickets I suppose. It was massively helpful when going through security etc. Eventually we used a wheelchair and he was taken to the plane in that. I think most airports have hidden disability lanyards available - may it would make it more acceptable to your husband if you wore one as well. This is an example -

Incontinence is a big issue on planes. As I say we never did long haul so normal continence pads/pants were enough. If the cabin crew are aware of his diagnosis I’m sure they would help regarding making sure you were able to go into the toilet with him ( not easy on a plane!) if necessary.

I have to say it wasn’t always easy but we managed it. Perhaps other members will have more experience of long haul flights.

I hope this factsheet is of some help -

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We had two long haul flights @gleeb One a year before diagnosis and one a year after diagnosis.

There were no worries about incontinence at the time.

You know your husband and what he is able to manage but Autum is six months ahead and I`d worry about booking so far in advance.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
We booked a long haul holiday to Canada and USA last November and are due to go in early June. My husband has always wanted to do this trip (whales, glaciers on a cruise then a week near his daughter) and the family put a lot of pressure on me to do it. I suppose it was now or never so I agreed, tho in my mind I couldn’t see us really going. I got good health insurance cover right at the beginning (£1000) which would get our money back if he wasn’t well enough and I think I kinda hoped that’s what would happen.
Flash forward to now and oh no! We are off in less than a month! I have tried to plan everything ahead, British airways have been great. They got us seats together, early boarding, help in the airport etc. the other airlines (AA, UA, CA) less so, but did allow us to pre book seats together for free.
I have had nightmares about the whole thing - he gets so unsettled and panicky away from home - but am becoming resigned to whatever. He is still in complete denial that anything is wrong, well this will certainly stress test that!
Who knows it might even be okay 😹😹😹

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @gleeb, I travelled to USA with my wife in 2016, just after her Alzheimer's Disease was diagnosed. She didn't have any issues with incontinence but I can see how difficult it would be on a plane, not least that there are times when toilet facilities are unavailable. It never occurred to me to identify as needing assistance or pre-boarding. I needed to be extra vigilant going through security and passport control, checking her progress and ensuring that she left nothing behind. Newcastle is a relatively small airport. It might be more difficult at a bigger terminal. I did have to stand guard when she went to the departure lounge toilet in case she turned the wrong way on coming out. But I had to do that for years before dementia was in the mix.

I had booked aisle and centre seats to make it easier if either or both of us needed to get up during the flight. Once on board she spent most of the next 7 hours talking to the chap in the window seat and ignoring me. I was grateful for his patience. On landing at Newark she asked him if he had been to Newcastle before, almost as if the flight had gone unnoticed. It was only as we got off the plane that I noticed that she was wearing knickers over her trousers, a foretaste of later difficulties in sequencing and dressing appropriately.

Our apartment had a rooftop view of the Empire State Building but she insisted that we were in Gateshead. She did say that she was leaving to walk home one night but intervention by her son dissuaded her. We would not have gone so far if it wasn't for the fact that he was working there and was keen for us to visit.

How much of our daily activities she appreciated is debatable. Ellis Island seemed to interest her but she had forgotten about it by the evening. Yet. despite some bad temper and small crises, I enjoyed the holiday. At least there was no repeat of losing her in the middle of the night when she got locked out of our hotel bedroom, as had happened before. By the time we were home, though, I had resolved not to fly with her again. We did have some good holidays in the UK for the next 2 years before it all became too confusing for her.

All of which is by way of saying that what might happen on your flight and holiday may include any or none of the above. It rather depends upon your husband's capability, your patience and ability to deal with the unexpected.

Last edited:

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
As you know, aircraft toilets are very cramped and it will be difficult to change and clean your husband. I would not take him on a long-haul flight unless he reliably wears Tena pants and is not faecally incontinent.

As has been said above, a lot can change before the autumn.

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
My husband and I travelled while he was in the early stages of dementia. In fact we travelled even as his dementia advanced. Having said that we never did long haul.

It would be wise to like the airline know about your husband’s diagnosis. I did this and always found cabin crew very supportive. I also used airport assistance. I’m not sure how your husband would feel about this as he is in the early stages of dementia and may not want the help. You could always say that it’s an extra included in the cost of your tickets I suppose. It was massively helpful when going through security etc. Eventually we used a wheelchair and he was taken to the plane in that. I think most airports have hidden disability lanyards available - may it would make it more acceptable to your husband if you wore one as well. This is an example -

Incontinence is a big issue on planes. As I say we never did long haul so normal continence pads/pants were enough. If the cabin crew are aware of his diagnosis I’m sure they would help regarding making sure you were able to go into the toilet with him ( not easy on a plane!) if necessary.

I have to say it wasn’t always easy but we managed it. Perhaps other members will have more experience of long haul flights.

I hope this factsheet is of some help -

Thank you, Izzy, for your insights and links! They will be very helpful. I am glad to hear of your experiences and solutions – they will make it easier planning to go forward.

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
We had two long haul flights @gleeb One a year before diagnosis and one a year after diagnosis.

There were no worries about incontinence at the time.

You know your husband and what he is able to manage but Autum is six months ahead and I`d worry about booking so far in advance.
Yes, Sylvia, I'm with you there. Hard to plan so far in advance, but I guess one must try! Thank you for your reply.

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
We booked a long haul holiday to Canada and USA last November and are due to go in early June. My husband has always wanted to do this trip (whales, glaciers on a cruise then a week near his daughter) and the family put a lot of pressure on me to do it. I suppose it was now or never so I agreed, tho in my mind I couldn’t see us really going. I got good health insurance cover right at the beginning (£1000) which would get our money back if he wasn’t well enough and I think I kinda hoped that’s what would happen.
Flash forward to now and oh no! We are off in less than a month! I have tried to plan everything ahead, British airways have been great. They got us seats together, early boarding, help in the airport etc. the other airlines (AA, UA, CA) less so, but did allow us to pre book seats together for free.
I have had nightmares about the whole thing - he gets so unsettled and panicky away from home - but am becoming resigned to whatever. He is still in complete denial that anything is wrong, well this will certainly stress test that!
Who knows it might even be okay 😹😹😹
Saphire, it sounds like you have done all you can to make this a great trip. So it's now time to relax and take things as they come. I hope you can enjoy the best parts and plough through the rest. Bon voyage!

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
Hi @gleeb, I travelled to USA with my wife in 2016, just after her Alzheimer's Disease was diagnosed. She didn't have any issues with incontinence but I can see how difficult it would be on a plane, not least that there are times when toilet facilities are unavailable. It never occurred to me to identify as needing assistance or pre-boarding. I needed to be extra vigilant going through security and passport control, checking her progress and ensuring that she left nothing behind. Newcastle is a relatively small airport. It might be more difficult at a bigger terminal. I did have to stand guard when she went to the departure lounge toilet in case she turned the wrong way on coming out. But I had to do that for years before dementia was in the mix.

I had booked aisle and centre seats to make it easier if either or both of us needed to get up during the flight. Once on board she spent most of the next 7 hours talking to the chap in the window seat and ignoring me. I was grateful for his patience. On landing at Newark she asked him if he had been to Newcastle before, almost as if the flight had gone unnoticed. It was only as we got off the plane that I noticed that she was wearing knickers over her trousers, a foretaste of later difficulties in sequencing and dressing appropriately.

Our apartment had a rooftop view of the Empire State Building but she insisted that we were in Gateshead. She did say that she was leaving to walk home one night but intervention by her son dissuaded her. We would not have gone so far if it wasn't for the fact that he was working there and was keen for us to visit.

How much of our daily activities she appreciated is debatable. Ellis Island seemed to interest her but she had forgotten about it by the evening. Yet. despite some bad temper and small crises, I enjoyed the holiday. At least there was no repeat of losing her in the middle of the night when she got locked out of our hotel bedroom, as had happened before. By the time we were home, though, I had resolved not to fly with her again. We did have some good holidays in the UK for the next 2 years before it all became too confusing for her.

All of which is by way of saying that what might happen on your flight and holiday may include any or none of the above. It rather depends upon your husband's capability, your patience and ability to deal with the unexpected.
Thank you, Northumbrian_k. You had a lot to deal with on your trip to NY. By specifying what kind of problems there were, you have opened my mind to the possibilities. Always good to think ahead and be prepared (like a good girl scout). Thank you for your personalized story – a great help.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Saphire, it sounds like you have done all you can to make this a great trip. So it's now time to relax and take things as they come. I hope you can enjoy the best parts and plough through the rest. Bon voyage!
❤️❤️❤️xx