The repeating

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Hi, I'm really struggling to deal with mum repeating herself over and over saying the same things and asking me the same questions. I've just spent an hour with her before I'd had enough and I left feeling mentally exhausted. Other than walking away are there any tips because I get so frustrated. One example which I get everyday is she says there's no dog meat so I'll show her there is a cupboard full of it. A while later she'll say the same again and this goes on the whole time I'm with her. It's so frustrating.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi, I'm really struggling to deal with mum repeating herself over and over saying the same things and asking me the same questions. I've just spent an hour with her before I'd had enough and I left feeling mentally exhausted. Other than walking away are there any tips because I get so frustrated. One example which I get everyday is she says there's no dog meat so I'll show her there is a cupboard full of it. A while later she'll say the same again and this goes on the whole time I'm with her. It's so frustrating.
is it worth just saying perhaps we need to get some?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@ian01 If only there was an easy answer to this issue, so many of us have to deal with it on a daily basis and it is just to tiring and hard to deal with. Sometimes you just have to do what you did and walk away for a while.

You can try distraction techniques - for example - yes mum we must get more dog food but not today. Now would you like a cup of tea and a biscuit. It might just work.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
@ian01 If only there was an easy answer to this issue, so many of us have to deal with it on a daily basis and it is just to tiring and hard to deal with. Sometimes you just have to do what you did and walk away for a while.

You can try distraction techniques - for example - yes mum we must get more dog food but not today. Now would you like a cup of tea and a biscuit. It might just work.
I always make sure there is plenty of dog food, it's just so tiring having to keep telling her there is plenty of it.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I always make sure there is plenty of dog food, it's just so tiring having to keep telling her there is plenty of it.
Yes it is hard, but try to distract her with a cup of tea or watching something on TV or anything else that you can think of. I do know that you are going through and it is difficult and tiring.

phill

Aug 8, 2007
Depending on the layout of her home, it might not be practical, but have you considered moving the dog food to somewhere where it’s visible without having to open a cupboard door (eg in the open, or in a cupboard with a glass door)? For people with dementia, out of sight is sometimes out of mind, because they can’t visualise where something is when they can’t immediately see it.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Depending on the layout of her home, it might not be practical, but have you considered moving the dog food to somewhere where it’s visible without having to open a cupboard door (eg in the open, or in a cupboard with a glass door)? For people with dementia, out of sight is sometimes out of mind, because they can’t visualise where something is when they can’t immediately see it.
I've just started doing that, leaving it in the kitchen where she can see it.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
It's a case of out of sight, put of mind, I'm afraid. OH obsessed with soup, Ratatouille and.... Dishwasher tablets. I keep cans of soup and Ratatouille on the worktop. Dishwasher tablets in small box in drawer, heavily labelled "There are more in the bag under the table". I bought 90.00 worth a year ago to allay his obsession. He'd been buying at random, then deciding they were the wrong type. I gave those away.
Living in Dementia World is hard for everybody.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think @phill and @Alisongs suggestions of keeping the dog food out are probably the best way to go. My mother obsessed about her car. "Where's my car?" was the dreaded question, said in the most suspicious voice ever. Her car was in British Columbia and we were in Ontario. I heard that question every day for at least 6 months. it drove me mad at first, but eventually I learned to roll with it (usually).

Try to think of the constant repetition as another symptom of the disease, which it is. Some days I was successful in not getting upset and annoyed, other days not. We're human.

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
It’s exhausting isn’t it? my mum keeps asking the same questions over and over, particularly if she’s stressed, then it becomes literally every few seconds. It’s so hard. I wholly sympathise. I’m so sorry you’re in this situation.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The one I remember with mum was, 'So did you have a nice Christmas?' For more than 6 months, every time I visited her in the CH she would ask this, then repeat it throughout my visit ad infinitum.

I must admit, I got so fed up with it that I started getting inventive with my answers because I knew she wasn't taking in whatever I said even though she could 'go through the motions' of conversation. I recall telling her (and I know I shouldn't have!) that we'd been to the moon for Christmas that year. She simply replied, 'Oh, did you? There was nothing here - I didn't get any presents or even a card!' (Her usual complaint.

There were times I left the CH after visiting when my brain just felt fried by her endless confabulations.

It is what it is, sadly. I wish you patience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @ian01

Can I just point out that just because you say something, it doesnt mean you have to do it. You can happily say "OK mum, we'll do it tomorrow", but then the next day she will have forgotten and you can say "OK, we'll do it tomorrow" all over again

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
It’s exhausting isn’t it? my mum keeps asking the same questions over and over, particularly if she’s stressed, then it becomes literally every few seconds. It’s so hard. I wholly sympathise. I’m so sorry you’re in this situation.
Yep it's not easy to deal with. I'm a very patient person but struggling with the repeating.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
The one I remember with mum was, 'So did you have a nice Christmas?' For more than 6 months, every time I visited her in the CH she would ask this, then repeat it throughout my visit ad infinitum.

I must admit, I got so fed up with it that I started getting inventive with my answers because I knew she wasn't taking in whatever I said even though she could 'go through the motions' of conversation. I recall telling her (and I know I shouldn't have!) that we'd been to the moon for Christmas that year. She simply replied, 'Oh, did you? There was nothing here - I didn't get any presents or even a card!' (Her usual complaint.

There were times I left the CH after visiting when my brain just felt fried by her endless confabulations.

It is what it is, sadly. I wish you patience.
I am a very patient person but this is particular difficult to deal with. I answer her questions before she's finished asking them as I know what she's going to ask.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@ian01 I'd take the tins out of the cupboard and put them on the side so she could see them . Might work?
It might lead to repetition of another question but distraction is the key.

GeorgieW

Mar 9, 2024
in the last 9 months since I took my mother into my home it is only in the last couple of months that I have managed to go down the yes, no , oh really, ok, response to all the repetition

as others have said it is distraction that is the key.