Agreed to see the doctor again.

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
How long do you have to wait for the Memory Clinic - we were 3 months from our first trip to it before the diagnosis - but although they did a memory scan they really based it on his behaviour and his test results. I had typed out a lot of info for them as well as completing all the forms they sent me
sorry brain scan

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
How long do you have to wait for the Memory Clinic - we were 3 months from our first trip to it before the diagnosis - but although they did a memory scan they really based it on his behaviour and his test results. I had typed out a lot of info for them as well as completing all the forms they sent me
Hi @BeeBeeDee. It was 3 weeks for the scan and the memory clinic is next week (on Tuesday) and that will have been about 5-6 weeks. So very quick to the wait many people have.
I must admit that I/we, would have no way of explaining the noticeable changes - planning, problem solving, following steps of processes, real lack of empathy - these are the main problem areas and changes.
Bizarrely, I received a message with carer info from the GP surgery a few days ago. This is good but also felt strange at this stage.
I have not received anything from the memory clinic to fill in, just a confirmation letter.
Thank you for messaging. Rachel x

Jess2023

May 4, 2023
Hi @BeeBeeDee. It was 3 weeks for the scan and the memory clinic is next week (on Tuesday) and that will have been about 5-6 weeks. So very quick to the wait many people have.
I must admit that I/we, would have no way of explaining the noticeable changes - planning, problem solving, following steps of processes, real lack of empathy - these are the main problem areas and changes.
Bizarrely, I received a message with carer info from the GP surgery a few days ago. This is good but also felt strange at this stage.
I have not received anything from the memory clinic to fill in, just a confirmation letter.
Thank you for messaging. Rachel x
Hello, that’s good news about your husbands CT scan. My husband was seen very quickly by the memory service too I think that’s because your husband is young isn’t he ? I sat in on my husbands assessment , there are so many components that can highlight the areas of concern you have listed, the neuropsychological testing aspects particularly revealed my husbands issues. It was after this my husband was referred for his PET scan. Just keep your chin up in the meantime as I appreciate its like walking on a tightrope with these worries.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hello, that’s good news about your husbands CT scan. My husband was seen very quickly by the memory service too I think that’s because your husband is young isn’t he ? I sat in on my husbands assessment , there are so many components that can highlight the areas of concern you have listed, the neuropsychological testing aspects particularly revealed my husbands issues. It was after this my husband was referred for his PET scan. Just keep your chin up in the meantime as I appreciate its like walking on a tightrope with these worries.
Hi @Jess2023. Thank you for messaging and letting me know what happened for you and when (it’s helpful to know). You are right re the age. My husband is 59 and the GP did say that it would be a short wait due to age.
I think it’s probably difficult because often we are the ones pushing the testing and therefore suggesting a potential problem, it feels like quite a lot on our shoulders as well. Next Tuesday can’t come soon enough and really try and understand what is going on.
Thank you again and I hope all is well with you, Rachel x

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @RM3 - I'm glad things are being dealt with relatively quickly.
My OH was diagnosed some years ago, in a different time zone, when waiting lists were fairly rare or short.
However, recently. a friend living on the Isle of Wight, from when she first made enquiries of her GP about her husband, now just over 80, and got a referral to the Memory Clinic, was told to get the Memory Clinic appointment would be a wait of at least 9 months!

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hi @RM3 - I'm glad things are being dealt with relatively quickly.
My OH was diagnosed some years ago, in a different time zone, when waiting lists were fairly rare or short.
However, recently. a friend living on the Isle of Wight, from when she first made enquiries of her GP about her husband, now just over 80, and got a referral to the Memory Clinic, was told to get the Memory Clinic appointment would be a wait of at least 9 months!
Evening @Chizz - oh to have no waiting lists for healthcare (of any kind). How lovely would that be!
That is such a long wait for your friend. I really do feel for people that I see on the forum having such long waits.
I really can’t complain with our wait and even this has felt so hard and torn from one line of thinking, to another. It is such limbo.
I hope your friends wait, is less than expected. Thank you x

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Urgh - I’m hoping this is not another sleepless night (I will suffer at work tomorrow).
I think it will be better once the memory clinic is out of the way on Tuesday - whichever way it goes (I don’t know what I hope the outcome will be).
I have noticed over the past week, that my husband has lost his train of thought a lot mid sentence. He has found this frustrating.
Today/Yesterday at the self serve checkout, we were obviously in close proximity to the person next to us. I was scanning our shopping and my husband leant in to me and asked me to look at the man’s basket next to us. I glanced and I could see he had about 30 freddo frogs. I didn’t comment and kept scanning and my husband continued to comment somewhat discreetly to me but it was really uncomfortable.
In normal times I would have given him ‘the look’ and that would have been it but it’s not normal times (I don’t think). Not that he would have been so preoccupied with it before.
Anyway, I’ve offloaded that, maybe I’ll sleep now. Thank you x

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Urgh - I’m hoping this is not another sleepless night (I will suffer at work tomorrow).
I think it will be better once the memory clinic is out of the way on Tuesday - whichever way it goes (I don’t know what I hope the outcome will be).
I have noticed over the past week, that my husband has lost his train of thought a lot mid sentence. He has found this frustrating.
Today/Yesterday at the self serve checkout, we were obviously in close proximity to the person next to us. I was scanning our shopping and my husband leant in to me and asked me to look at the man’s basket next to us. I glanced and I could see he had about 30 freddo frogs. I didn’t comment and kept scanning and my husband continued to comment somewhat discreetly to me but it was really uncomfortable.
In normal times I would have given him ‘the look’ and that would have been it but it’s not normal times (I don’t think). Not that he would have been so preoccupied with it before.
thats a lot of freddos, i expect your husband was surprised at the quantity and with lost inhibitions he came out with it. i think its similar to children, out of the mouths of babes. my husband didnt have many inhibitions to start with so going round a shop, he would pick things up, usually underwear, and hold it up above his head and ask if it would fit. he would always get a laugh and that was why he did it along with my red face. i just thought, maybe your husband wanted some.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats a lot of freddos, i expect your husband was surprised at the quantity and with lost inhibitions he came out with it. i think its similar to children, out of the mouths of babes. my husband didnt have many inhibitions to start with so going round a shop, he would pick things up, usually underwear, and hold it up above his head and ask if it would fit. he would always get a laugh and that was why he did it along with my red face. i just thought, maybe your husband wanted some.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Thanks @jennifer1967. It was a lot and it was all he had bought ha. My husband was saying look, they won’t scan now and no wonder he’s on the big side just eating those. I was just having palpitations and scanning as fast as I could.
I’m not walking down the underwear aisle with him then - thanks for the tip off X

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks @jennifer1967. It was a lot and it was all he had bought ha. My husband was saying look, they won’t scan now and no wonder he’s on the big side just eating those. I was just having palpitations and scanning as fast as I could.
I’m not walking down the underwear aisle with him then - thanks for the tip off X
Oh dear I feel for you. My OH is always commenting on the size of people. " They're a big fat lump" or " look at the size of that belly" . I squirm and tell him to be quiet but it doesn't stop him. He doesn't understand it's rude or my my request to be quite.
I think one day someone will thump him !

Sorry ,@RM3 ,you didn't sleep ,too well again. I note the time you were playing the 'change a letter game' x

Last edited:

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Oh dear I feel for you. My OH is always commenting on the size of people. " They're a big fat lump" or " look at the size of that belly" . I squirm and tell him to be quiet but it doesn't stop him. He doesn't understood it's rude or my my request to be quite.
I think one day someone will thump him !
Morning @maggie6445. It is quite an awkward symptom isn’t it (if that is what it is) - I might find out tomorrow, that he was just being rude and then it might be me that thumps him!
Thank you x

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Will be thinking of you tomorrow I’m sure once you know one way or the other you will feel better. I’m finding it quite difficult with me hand in plaster Once we can get out again I’m sure things will be better Hope your week is good love Bev xxx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm always amazed at what some people buy in supermarkets. I think it might be a good TV programme to find out why someone's brought what they have. However talking about it out loud could be a worry, unless your husband is like my sister in law who will talk to someone at the drop of a hat and would have found out why 30 freddo frogs were needed in short order.
Good luck with the clinic tomorrow btw.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @RM3 - you said " In normal times I would have given him ‘the look’ and that would have been it but it’s not normal times ..."
I'm sorry to say "the look" might have lost its power, as it likely your OH won't notice it or remember its significance.
Welcome to the odd crazy world of having to deal with it as it is - whatever that is!

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Will be thinking of you tomorrow I’m sure once you know one way or the other you will feel better. I’m finding it quite difficult with me hand in plaster Once we can get out again I’m sure things will be better Hope your week is good love Bev xxx
Hi Bev. Thank you for this. I will be glad to get through tomorrow and know where we are.
I hope hope that you pain has eased - I can understand how frustrating it must be to be so restricted with your hand in plaster. Hopefully not too much longer for you with that on.
I hope you have a good week too and thanks again. Love Rachel x

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
I'm always amazed at what some people buy in supermarkets. I think it might be a good TV programme to find out why someone's brought what they have. However talking about it out loud could be a worry, unless your husband is like my sister in law who will talk to someone at the drop of a hat and would have found out why 30 freddo frogs were needed in short order.
Good luck with the clinic tomorrow btw.
Hi @Sarasa - ha, yes I do think that quite a few people would have been curious about that.
It’s not like either of us to go out of our way to chat to strangers - we’ve always joked about how unsociable we are ha.
Thank you for your well wishes for tomorrow. Take care x

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hi @RM3 - you said " In normal times I would have given him ‘the look’ and that would have been it but it’s not normal times ..."
I'm sorry to say "the look" might have lost its power, as it likely your OH won't notice it or remember its significance.
Welcome to the odd crazy world of having to deal with it as it is - whatever that is!
Hi @Chizz - yes I fear that ‘the look’ that has stood me in good stead with my husband for 35 years, may have lost its relevance!
I think I may have to swap it for a humble, apologetic look (to keep us out of trouble). Thanks x

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Hi Bev. Thank you for this. I will be glad to get through tomorrow and know where we are.
I hope hope that you pain has eased - I can understand how frustrating it must be to be so restricted with your hand in plaster. Hopefully not too much longer for you with that on.
I hope you have a good week too and thanks again. Love Rachel x
We got a link car to our monday group
It was lovely to get out Let me know how things go Everyone on the forum here for you Love Bev xx