advice please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My local AgeUK has a handyman service. They are vetted people who will come and do small jobs. One fitted an outdoor light for me.

I had to pay but they are reliable and will come for the smallest jobs regular tradesmen are unlikely to want to do.

Is there anything like this for you @jennifer1967 ?
Thankyou I've looked at their website and have a phone number to call a d find out what they offer in my area. Things to follow up on. Thankyou. I think that if a look things up and then explain he's going to have to back down. The bank k on Tuesday. This would save a lot of work

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I've woke u up in a better frame of mind as well as a blast of bon Jovi. I think my depression anxiety was raised. My son is taking husband shopping. I need help and he's just going to have to accept it. My son is taking us to the bank. Daughter is away for 4 days. Son is staying in London. I started going down to a dark place Saturday but not told anyone. Frightened me a bit so I know I have to do something. Not felt that for a long while.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've woke u up in a better frame of mind as well as a blast of bon Jovi. I think my depression anxiety was raised. My son is taking husband shopping. I need help and he's just going to have to accept it. My son is taking us to the bank. Daughter is away for 4 days. Son is staying in London. I started going down to a dark place Saturday but not told anyone. Frightened me a bit so I know I have to do something. Not felt that for a long while.
Dear @jennifer1967,

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Have you spoken to your children about how your feeling?

MaNaAk

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes @jennifer1967 your husband will have to accept your reality. Maybe if he thinks you are the one who needs help rather than him, he might find it easier to access.

That was the tactic I used with my husband. It was never for him, always for me.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Yes @jennifer1967 your husband will have to accept your reality. Maybe if he thinks you are the one who needs help rather than him, he might find it easier to access.

That was the tactic I used with my husband. It was never for him, always for me.
We've had a talk and he has agreed a gardener and to pay to clear the garden alongside a cleaner. I've said it hurts and too much for me on my own. He said he can see it in my eyes how much its affecting me. I now need to find out what I need to do. I'm going to have a break tomorrow while he's up the shed, sort the bank and sort out some help. Thank you for the advice and support. I'm trying so hard and sometimes I need some help to work out what needs to be done.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
My FIL was very reluctant to have any help in - MIL had Alz and was always VERY resistant to having any stranger in her home, always had been - he didn't want to upset her as he knew the flack he would get. However, it did eventually get to be too much for him so I told MIL she was having a cleaner - that way FIL didn't get the earache and couldn't be blamed - do you think that is something your children could do - saying it is for your benefit? I used a local care agency who provided a cleaner but this, once MIL had accepted it, progressed to them doing more actual care. It worked best when they sent the same person each time. Good luck - you definitely need some help with the "heavy" stuff if nothing else.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sometimes life becomes so overwhelming it`s hard to stand back and look at it objectively.

This would have been me 15 years ago xx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Sometimes life becomes so overwhelming it`s hard to stand back and look at it objectively.

This would have been me 15 years ago xx
Finally after 4 yrs, the man says yes. I have said that I have life to live as well which is being spent running around the house and him. In the last few days, he's noticed im always on the go doing some job or other.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
It was getting to the point that I forgot to havebthe 2nd insulin and blood sugar test.i set an alarm on my phone to remember them. My husband heard the alarms and remembers to tell me what time it is.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Finally after 4 yrs, the man says yes. I have said that I have life to live as well which is being spent running around the house and him. In the last few days, he's noticed im always on the go doing some job or other.

Believe me I will remember and he knows
I said if he doesn't want a carer in then he has to get me some help so I can do it. I also taken over most of the cooking so have to have help
Good on you @jennifer1967.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So much for the respite. Since he's been home help had caused havoc and twice as much work. He went to sainsbury on the way home and bought home more food. My son did shopping with him yesterday. So I've had to try and put it in the freezer. Then the door didn't close so had to sort that out. Done that. By now my back and leg are killing
He's gone in and got me a second hand laptop. It's going back tomorrow with my son. Why doesn't he just wait. He doesn't know a thing about them and hasn't checked condition. So all this has negated the 2 hours I got this morning. He's gone upstairs to give us breathing space. I'm in tears, I can't talk to him unless I do on repeat. He thinks he's useless so I'm protecting his feelings and im crying as well. I won't have my insulin as I haven't eaten lunch and it was a bit low this morning. I thought we had sorted it out but it just rolls on. My back andcleg are throbbing with standing so long and for the stress.