advice please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im wondering about my husbands prostate. he has all the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, slow to urinate then dribbling when he thinks hes finished. he doesnt want the rectal exam. could he still be treated even if he doesnt want the rectal exam. he doesnt mind blood tests or anything else but the exam is one step too far. its getting more of a problem as he is now anxious about it

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
im wondering about my husbands prostate. he has all the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, slow to urinate then dribbling when he thinks hes finished. he doesnt want the rectal exam. could he still be treated even if he doesnt want the rectal exam. he doesnt mind blood tests or anything else but the exam is one step too far. its getting more of a problem as he is now anxious about it
If you're okay it might be worth mentioning this to your GP. I'm just thinking that you need a rest from this morning.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
If you're okay it might be worth mentioning this to your GP. I'm just thinking that you need a rest from this morning.

MaNaAk
yes i will phone them. i think im up to my limit this week and he can manage until next week. he didnt know if there was something they could give him to stop it. he was talking about it and i have no experience of prostate problems. mentally im drained.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It wouldnt surprise me if the doctor just did a telephone consultation and prescribed the medication from the symptoms without a rectal examination.

OH had these symptoms and the GP prescribed tamsulosin, but he didnt have an enlarged prostrate, in his case he had a paralysed bladder!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My brother had a PSA blood test which gave a reassuring result. If he doesn't mind blood tests this could be the way to go.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
It wouldnt surprise me if the doctor just did a telephone consultation and prescribed the medication from the symptoms without a rectal examination.

OH had these symptoms and the GP prescribed tamsulosin, but he didnt have an enlarged prostrate, in his case he had a paralysed bladder!
thank you. i told him that he can refuse the exam and yes probably thats all that will happen. that was what was stopping him from talking to the doctor although ive been aware of changes.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My brother had a PSA blood test which gave a reassuring result. If he doesn't mind blood tests this could be the way to go.
hes fine with blood tests so they may do. hes got a blood test friday. milks it for the sympathy, you would think hed lost all his blood through it and they say ladies are the weaker sex!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
The PSA test is actually to detect prostate cancer but the symptoms can be confused for enlarged prostate so best to check and rule it out. All men over a certain age should really have this test. And then if all clear the doctor may just prescribe the medication as happened in @canary 's husband's case.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
The PSA test is actually to detect prostate cancer but the symptoms can be confused for enlarged prostate so best to check and rule it out. All men over a certain age should really have this test. And then if all clear the doctor may just prescribe the medication as happened in @canary 's husband's case.
right ok either way i need to phone the doctors up and suggest it. it looks like it could be done in the first instance and can indicate enlarged prostate as well. there is no screening of men done but at least i know what i need to say

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My husband had prostate cancer which was treated by injections which even with his dementia he coped with so yes get in touch with your GP

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Before testing think carefully about what you would do if his PSA was elevated

'A raised PSA level can be a sign of prostate cancer. But around three quarters of men (76 per cent) with a raised PSA level don’t have prostate cancer. And some men with a normal PSA level do have prostate cancer.'
https://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/National/Prostate Cancer UK/assets/UnderstandingthePSAtest.pdf

My brother had prostate cancer 25 years ago and I added PSA to my annual blood tests.
In 2016 I started with the usual symptoms , the PSA was not raised, the GP did a DRE and said prostate was a bit lumpy and started a 14 day investigation, the consultant agreed with the GP and said a biopsy would probably cause a UTI so I had an MRI instead.
Consultant's report declared my prostate to be unremarkable and recommended Tamsulosin which stopped the symptoms.

Tamsulosin is an alpha blocker and carries some risk of hypotension, my GP advised taking it at night instead of in the morning as stated on the PIL
'The authors suggest that patients should be warned about the alpha blocker “first-dose phenomenon” with tamsulosin.'
https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles/134374-tamsulosin-and-hypotension-risk .

It also can cause intraoperative floppy iris syndrome which means if you have to have a cataract removed you should tell them before the procedure so they can take preventative measures.

My annual blood test remains at just under 2ng/ml and I don't have any symptoms.

As a result of a sigmoidectomy in 2018 I'm having annual surveillance CT scans which would have shown any large prostate growth, rules keep changing and I don't know whether this Autumn is my last or penultimate scan.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i got his clothes ironed and ready with spares. son briefed, sister oked it yesterday with negative covid test. i have done all the dusting etc so i can laze around tomorrow and not feel guilty. i was awake at 5-30am as some little midgey/gnat has had a proper feast of my arms and they itch. had antihistamine and savlon has reduced it. shouldnt be so tasty i suppose. hes going for a blood test this afternoon so he can milk it with his sister tomorrow.

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Following a Prostate Cancer diagnosis Gleason Score (3+4) =7 on the 1st August, I underwent
TURP surgery on the 17th August. I had a spinal anesthesia with some sedation (a sleep)…the whole procedure took 1 hour and I felt great immediately afterward. After the catheter removed next day, passing urine does bring tears to your eyes …48hours later urination is much easier and less painful.
I myself had the TURP operation…..to follow on with hormone manipulation therapy and radiotherapy.
I am 74years old with multiple health issues, but anyone worried about Prostate Cancer…do contact
prostatecanceruk.org and they will supply you with all the information you need plus contact telephone numbers.

The operation….after effects…..no pain at all..just passing urine at the beginning….

Today I walked a mile and no “leaks”….I do wear a pad!!!
I hope this post has been helpful?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Following a Prostate Cancer diagnosis Gleason Score (3+4) =7 on the 1st August, I underwent
TURP surgery on the 17th August. I had a spinal anesthesia with some sedation (a sleep)…the whole procedure took 1 hour and I felt great immediately afterward. After the catheter removed next day, passing urine does bring tears to your eyes …48hours later urination is much easier and less painful.
I myself had the TURP operation…..to follow on with hormone manipulation therapy and radiotherapy.
I am 74years old with multiple health issues, but anyone worried about Prostate Cancer…do contact
prostatecanceruk.org and they will supply you with all the information you need plus contact telephone numbers.

The operation….after effects…..no pain at all..just passing urine at the beginning….

Today I walked a mile and no “leaks”….I do wear a pad!!!
I hope this post has been helpful?
thank you yes very helpful. im leaving it until after the bank holiday but will be in touch with the gp. hes not in pain with it but it is getting worse so will phone.

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Not everyone has the operation due to (age and general health)

I would be inclined to contact Prostate UK get the information pack
and read. (Soonest) = today

Contact Prostate UK and outline his health issues to them and then contact your GP.
Doctors are not always well informed on cancer…so will refer you to a consultant,
unfortunately it all takes time.

Time stands still for no one, quicker seen quicker treated.

Due to this virus issue…it took me 3 years to get my problem seen to.

I do sincerely hope your waiting time will be speedier