A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh goodness Sylvia. I hope you're ok. Yes you really should have had assistance in the station. I hope your injuries are minor. I agree it might be an idea to tell Paul but probably not Martin.

Poor Martin. He must be in such turmoil. No wonder he was emotional as you left.

My heart goes out to him and to Helen and Mandy. You too of course. I hope you have a settled evening.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh! Sylvia, what a palaver. I hope there is no lasting damage but what a shock for you.

I hope that you have a peaceful evening.

Love

Lyn T XX

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank goodness, at least you're home again, your own bed, your own chair, you can please yourself. Now it's time to pamper yourself.....

So sorry about the fall, a hard way to find out again how kind strangers can be. You'll probably feel shaken up, but now you can rest and recover.

Of course you'll be wanting to know how Helen is....and I'm sure Mandy and Martin will keep you in the picture. You were such a support for Helen when she needed it the most....

Poor Martin, how cruel is fate to give him so much to deal with at the same time?

I'd make you up a hot water bottle for tonight if I was with you..just for comfort.....Sleep peacefully, you must be worn out.......

Sending a gentle hug....xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh Sylvia, falling is so scary - I have had a couple of very nasty falls recently, but never on an escalator. Poor you. I hope you haven't hurt yourself too much.

I'm sure it was very sad leaving Helen, Martin and Mandy and I hope Helen makes it home. Martin must feel drained with everything that is going on.

I hope you enjoy a relaxed evening. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone again.

A couple of station assistants, men in hi vis tabards came to check I was all right. If I'd seen them I would have asked for help but the station was so busy, some floor areas cordoned off where the roof was leaking, anxious people queuing for delayed trains, I took a chance. I had a feeling it was risky so can only blame myself.

When I fell in India , I fell on my right side. I've evened it out today by falling on my left side. The only difference , there is no lovely Ayurvedic practitioner available so a hot bath and hot water bottle will have to do.

Paul would go nuts, especially with Bratislava ahead. :eek: I don't want him worrying about me.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I've got Arnica...but I am not volunteering to rub it in:rolleyes:
Oh Sylvia, what a shame. Please tell Paul, just in case there's any problems.
I hope that Helen can manage to calm herself, getting agitated about getting home, won't help her chances of actually achieving her goal.

Thank you for all your updates.....enjoy being home again.x.x.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Oh Sylvia, only just catching up and am so sorry to read about your fall. That must have shaken you dreadfully, especially on the escalator. Even a trip up gives me a nasty jolt these days. I hate tackling the London stations so would have ended up a jibbering wreck in your place.
Then all the rain, it has been dreadful hasn't it though we had the worst of it overnight.
It was like trying to sleep in Picadilly Circus what with all the noise and the flashing lights. I've never seen so many flashes, nor so frequent, and it lasted for ages.

I suspect you will have some and bruising to show for your suffering tomorrow. I hope it's not too painful.

Poor Martin, this is taking its toll on him I'm sure. I do hope he will cope if Helen comes home. At least in the hospice he has someone to take some of the responsibility off him though I'm sure he will want to do what Helen wants. Such a sad time and with his added bereavement too.

Thank you again Sylvia for being our eyes and ears where Helen is concerned. It's been hard to take on board at times but I'm grateful for being included at this time.
Love. x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia, I've been offline for the last week so have just caught up with the last week's news. I am so sorry to hear of Helen's state of mind and Martin's bereavement. We've both been thinking of you and Helen and Martin. My heart goes out to Linda, who is having so many problems taking it in.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Well you are home albeit a bit battered, home the aches soon fade.

I'm sure Helen wants things put in place now, oh that things could move at that speed.
Hope you have a reasonable nights sleep xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I have been unable to get here today and too late last night to write although did read, and today I have been longing to hear about you also Helen, Martin.

Dismayed about your fall Sylvia, horrible experience and as long as you feel no serious damage, there’s little you can do but try to rest and recover. Especially tomorrow as you will probably then feel the full impact. At least now home you can pace yourself with, I hope, no pressures to do this and that.

I well understand not telling Paul and especially as you are soon travelling abroad alone. We do try to avoid saying how it is and causing worry, although he will be worried as it is. But I’m sure you will be sensible and say to him if you need any help rather than struggle alone. Be kind to yourself.

I feel deeply for Martin, poor man, and hope he will somehow manage… Also hope Helen maintains her improvement and can be patient re arrangements for her going home.. Care packages don’t happen overnight - and it’s a weekend - but take time to organise and put in place. We can but wish for one which meets Helen’s needs, and Marin’s as well. He will be very vulnerable.

Also the marvellous help you have been to all of us keeping us updated about Helen. It has been hard reading about it all but at the same time precious -and a privilege - that you have shared with us. Deeply appreciated; thank you.

I hope Mandy can put you more in the picture concerning Helen, what is happening as you will be concerned. It must be hard for you.

Lovely that you are back in your ‘nest’ and do please take care of yourself dear Sylvia. Sleep well tonight in your own bed and I hope it is not too long before you feel better.

As always thinking of you as well as Helen, Martin and family.

Much love
Loo xxx

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Sylvia, I am pleased to read you are home. I followed your posts. You are an amazing friend to Helen and I am 100% positive she knows this. The best you could possibly do = awesome 100%. So sorry about the fall. You of all people did not need that. Hoping the bruise heals quickly and you feel some calm in realising you have done all you can xxxxx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Ouch! I'm glad at least that people came to your aid rather than just stepping over you ... :eek:

I hope there's no long term effects.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think I'll live. A bit battered and bruised but no serious damage.

I was going to go shopping tomorrow to fill my empty cupboards but instead I've done an on line shop and will stay at home all day and rest.

It won't be difficult. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think I'll live. A bit battered and bruised but no serious damage.

I was going to go shopping tomorrow to fill my empty cupboards but instead I've done an on line shop and will stay at home all day and rest.

It won't be difficult. :)

That sounds like a plan! Thank goodness for online shopping. I hope you sleep well. x

Last edited:

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
oh Sylvia, escalator injuries can be very serious and I am relieved that you were helped up straight away. But you should certainly have told Paul, he would want to be sure you were ok - and the station should record that it happened in their accident book because it only happened due to the lift being out of order.

Please get checked over by a medic if the pain gets worse or the damage is worse than you thought originally when you have a look. Don't be too stoical when you don't need to be xxx

I hope being home is comforting for you, despite getting fewer updates. x

Hello Sylvia, I'm so glad you are home and surrounded by your own comforts. Really sorry to hear about your fall. :( That's not what you needed, even if it did 'even things up'.:eek: Great advice from Soobee, above. I don't know how imminent your trip to Bratislava is, but if for some stupid reason there ARE repercussions from your fall, it might be better for Paul to be aware sooner rather than later? He might be cross now (or not, I don't know Paul), but he might be hugely stressed if he found out later.

Oh, what do I know? I can only think Paul himself might rather be in the picture.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hope you're no worse for your misadventure Sylvia. Wishing you a quiet day.

Of course still thinking of Helen, Martin and their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.