A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I'm so pleased I booked. You've all convinced me I've done the right thing.

Mind you I didn't know it was a weepie. I cry over Coronation Street. Dhiren and Paul used to nudge each other and raise their eyebrows. 'She's at it again.' How on earth will I be , sitting by myself with tears falling into my tissues. :eek: :D

There are some funny bits in it too, and I have been to see it with friends who haven't cried at all. I think I first saw it about 30 years ago! I've seen all the Nolan Sisters play the part of Mrs Johnstone, the Mum, and I've got an idea I saw Petula Clark too.

LadyA, John and I were in an amateur production of "Carousel" about 50 years ago. Our favourite song, which you never hear, except in the show, was "This was a Real Nice Clambake"!

This has one of the most often-sung tunes at the end, "You'll Never Walk Alone", and I was lucky enough to see Lesley Garrett in a production in London, about 10 years ago. Boy, what a set of pipes she has! I hope you get to see many more shows. Shame we've got an ocean between us, else we could go together. :)

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I've seen it twice, both times on my own. I was so impressed the first time I went, I bought the soundtrack but I haven't really listened to it since.

It made me laugh, cry, jump and think.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Sylvia: 'Respect' ... as they say these days. You are amazing with your 'can do' attitude. I am sure you will enjoy the show. You lead, we will follow!

Nellbelles, I went to the live filming of the Rocky Horror show last week. It was hilarious. We all thought the tap dancer was particularly brilliant throughout her performance. She was Columbia, wasn't she?

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Whilst you're weeping, or not, over Blood Brothers, I shall be doing the same at our local theatre, where they have a matinee of Crooners - a selection of the songs made famous by such names as Johnie Ray, Dickie Valentine, Matt Monro etc. I saw it was on this Saturday, with a matinee, so have booked my ticket.

I have decided to throw caution to the winds, and have a coffee there, before it starts, too! :eek: :eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wish I could come with you Scarlett Johnny Ray was my pop idol. I have a CD of his even now and saw the film ' No business like show business ' over and over again. I also loved Dickie Valentine and Matt Munro but not as much as Johnny Ray. Poor man, he died an alcoholic because he was gay and in those days no one could admit it.

I do hope you have a wonderful time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I loved Johnny Ray, preferred David Whitfield to Dickie Valentine and used to argue with my sister who liked the latter.
Matt Munroe - oh dear, I think I'd need the tissues there. :eek:

Hope you enjoy it Scarlett.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I loved Johnny Ray, preferred David Whitfield to Dickie Valentine and used to argue with my sister who liked the latter.
Matt Munroe - oh dear, I think I'd need the tissues there. :eek:

Hope you enjoy it Scarlett.

I have a Dickie Valentine long playing record, nothing to play it on but who cares:)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Just found a great little 10minute video with 50's music and pictures while looking for Mr. Valentine.
Sorry, can't do the link, but there was even a song for Scarlett!
Just scrolled down the page Sylvia put the link for.

We're all showing our ages now! I have a 50s CD with David Whitfield singing "Cara Mia", and I was scrolling down, trying to find a 50s "crooner" who was still alive. Anyone? I love the music they play on "Call The Midwife" - lovely memories. :)

I reckon I'm the one who'll be needing the box of tissues on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MinaBina