A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I love Musical Theatre . We both loved Musical Theatre.

We did manage to see quite a few shows before illness struck, however, once dementia set in and we had to rely on public transport it became more difficult. We went to London to see a show and Dhiren was in tears of exhaustion by the end of the day.

I`ve always wanted to see Blood Brothers. By the time a friend and I decided to go to see it in London , it was too late, the show was closing.

I happened to see it was being performed in Canterbury and so for the first time ever, next Saturday, I`m going alone to a matinee performance.

It might not be a big step to many who are used to going alone but it is for me and I know most people in long term relationships will understand.

I can`t wait. :)

That's fab Sylvia. I think you're very brave & I admire you.:)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm so pleased to hear you're going to the theatre Sylvia. I know what you mean about feeling settled socially. We have lived around here for 25 years now but have never lived in any one town or village for more than 13 years.

Anyway I hope you have a brilliant time :D

Lindy xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Have a wonderful time Sylvia. Better late than never to see the show so I hope you really enjoy it.
Do come on here and tell us about it later.
It's nice to share and not as easy to do so nowadays I know. x:)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
It might not be a big step to many who are used to going alone but it is for me and I know most people in long term relationships will understand.

Sylvia, I'm glad to read that you have made the brave decision to go to the theatre on your own. I haven't been to the cinema or theatre on my own since Pete passed-I've no idea why as when Pete and I used to go together we used to regularly see people on their own. I hope you enjoy the production.

Love

Lyn T XX

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Well done Sylvia, that is a great step. I haven't been to the theatre on my own, although a friend of mine in similar circumstances goes regularly.

Anyway, I hope you have a brilliant time x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone. :)

When we went together, there was the shared anticipation, the shared enjoyment, the odd shared criticism, and the journey home, chatting about a show or a meal or anything. The whole event was enhanced by sharing.

Sharing with TP is wonderful, especially when I always get so much support. Even so, it`s sharing my experience rather than sharing our experience.

And that is how it has to be. :)

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When we went together, there was the shared anticipation, the shared enjoyment, the odd shared criticism, and the journey home, chatting about a show or a meal or anything. The whole event was enhanced by sharing.

Sharing with TP is wonderful, especially when I always get so much support. Even so, it`s sharing my experience rather than sharing our experience.

And that is how it has to be. :)

I totally understand that feeling Sylvia; Dhiren would be pleased that you are going though. x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done Sylvia. Good for you. I realise it can't be easy but it is such a positive step. I know you will be sharing it with Dhiren in your heart. x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Well done Sylvia, a hard thing to do.

My husband has been in care for 3 years and I have not ventured anywhere special on my own. I did go to a coffee shop where we used to go together and had coffee. The owner came to ask me how my husband was and sat with me for a while which made it easier.

I have holidayed with two dementia wives and been away with family. I have been to Liverpool for the Three Queens anniversary with an old friend this year as our Son said I should be doing something. He was right.

I have travelled to London on my own on the train, that was difficult the first time, sitting with no one to talk to. Luckily there was someone there to meet me.

I have a friend who for 35 years has travelled the world and the whole bus network of England alone. I thought her very brave and she said if she had waited for someone to travel with her She would have been waiting an awful long time.

Come the spring I will give it a go, see I am putting it off, the sooner I do it the easier it will be. There must be many TPers doing just the same, I can't be alone.

Again well done Sylvia, look forward to hearing all about it.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Well done, Sylvia. The first time may be daunting, but I'm sure the show will lift you and carry you along.
My husband and I have walked the fells and mountains for nearly forty years, always together. Now he can no longer do this, and the first time I walked alone it was an emotional time for me, but as you will find with the musical, the enjoyment you gain will make up for that eventually. The second hill walk was easier, and I hope you will go on to visit the theatre more yourself now you have taken the first step.
Have a lovely time, Sylvia.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It is a huge thing Sylvia and well done for the determination to do it. I used to frequent the theatre very much too. I hope its a good performance and you enjoy it, Dhiren would want you to. Canterbury is a lovely place too.:)xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sylvia, I do admire you for taking this step, it is a big one. I hope it turns out to be the first of more.

Yes it's not only the doing something alone for the first time but that deep loss of sharing the experience together, just as you describe.

Lovely that the show has come within reaching distance when you so much wanted to see it. I hope it uplifts you and you come away enriched from the experience. Have a lovely time.

Hope you will share it with us. It is as Saffie says good to share here on TP.

Love
Loo xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Once again thank you TP ers for all your support and encouragement.

I do hope others in similar situations will join me and venture into the 'out of comfort zone'.

I've no wish to become a Merry Widow but I considered myself independent when Dhiren was with me , he always encouraged my independence and I wouldn't want to let myself or his memory down.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I love Musical Theatre . We both loved Musical Theatre.

We did manage to see quite a few shows before illness struck, however, once dementia set in and we had to rely on public transport it became more difficult. We went to London to see a show and Dhiren was in tears of exhaustion by the end of the day.

I`ve always wanted to see Blood Brothers. By the time a friend and I decided to go to see it in London , it was too late, the show was closing.

I happened to see it was being performed in Canterbury and so for the first time ever, next Saturday, I`m going alone to a matinee performance.

Please take a box of tissues! I've seen this many times, and it "got" me, every time. Mind you, I had a good bawl during Call The Midwife, this afternoon, on its fourth repeat (where Chummy has her baby). I was apprehensive on my 2 train trips this year, the first to Devon, and last week to Yorkshire but I wanted so much to see my friends.

It's hard sweetie, but the first step is definitely the hardest. Have a wonderful time. xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, I hope you enjoy the show, GrannieG! I find it's quite difficult to take up some things again. Especially on your own.

I've always loved musicals, and going to the Theatre. But I haven't been often. When William was in the nursing home, I took my mum to see "Carousel" in our local Theatre. She enjoyed it so much, I got tickets for a local Theatre Group's performance of West Side Story on Thursday night last - but mum was too ill to go. However, I have a 14 year old niece, who is obsessed with theatre, and musicals in particular! She is a member of a couple of theatre groups, and is very talented. So I gave her the tickets, as her parents couldn't afford for her to go (the tickets were 19euro each). She was ecstatic -and her mum too, who went with her. They said the show was "amazing", and they loved it. And I will go to something else soon. I suppose I could have just gone by myself - but I haven't been that brave yet - so well done!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm so pleased I booked. You've all convinced me I've done the right thing.

Mind you I didn't know it was a weepie. I cry over Coronation Street. Dhiren and Paul used to nudge each other and raise their eyebrows. 'She's at it again.' How on earth will I be , sitting by myself with tears falling into my tissues. :eek: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.