A need to vent and advice please?

ianr2108

Jan 1, 2023
My sister and I care for our 91 year old mother who was diagnosed with vascular dementia last year after suffering a TIA. Mum is fiercely independent lives at home and in addition to us is supported by a good network of family and neighbours. She has a weekly befriender call and following her long standing cleaner leaving we have arranged weekly domestic help from a care agency. Despite advice Mum cuts the grass (she has a gardener), insists on going shopping where she invariably buys stuff she doesnt need but forgets the item she went for, does the laundry. In recent days as we changed cleaner Mum has become more tearful, now telling grandchildren she has lived too long and wishes there was a tablet. We dont think she ever would but do we treat it seriously and flag it to adult services, or GP? Neither of whom she would welcome a conversation with. She is more curmudgeonly, more abrupt in her talking to us. It is becoming more difficult to help when help seems to be unwelcome. Thanks

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would have a word with the gp as it might be that she is a little depressed or anxious with the coming and going of the cleaner. maybe your mum is a person who cleans up so the cleaner thinks shes clean. the gardener the same. could they involve her with a little task so she feels useful still? my husband has vascular dementia

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Re medication.
Check the effect of an overdose, if needed restrict the amount of medication that is in the house at any one time.
"Dr's instructions, only so many days can now be prescribed at a time"

Bod

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazlin