A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren seemed very sad today, not weepy or cross, just sad and subdued.
I asked if anything had happened but apparently not.

He ate the food I took but without the usual pleasure.

I got his book out. He took one look at it and said `Rubbish`, so I took it away quickly.

I sat with him for 3 hours, just holding his hand and stroking his arm. There was no point trying to jolly him along, I let him be.

I`m pleased I didn`t take it to heart as I have done in the past. He is allowed his off days.

amicalia

Jul 9, 2011
Sussex
Dhiren seemed very sad today, not weepy or cross, just sad and subdued.
I asked if anything had happened but apparently not.

He ate the food I took but without the usual pleasure.

I got his book out. He took one look at it and said `Rubbish`, so I took it away quickly.

I sat with him for 3 hours, just holding his hand and stroking his arm. There was no point trying to jolly him along, I let him be.

I`m pleased I didn`t take it to heart as I have done in the past. He is allowed his off days.

Bit of a hard visit for you but glad that you didn't take it personally, you are right, there are always going to be off days x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
[QUOTEI`m pleased I didn`t take it to heart as I have done in the past. He is allowed his off days. ][/QUOTE]

Marvellous Sylvia. I agree, we should all be allowed off days as we are all human beings with or without dementia.

It is such a blessing that Dhiren's off days are few.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t know if it helped or not but it was all I could do.

I can`t go tomorrow. KCC is coming to sort the pager for my smoke alarm. There is no smoke alarm I can hear. They will come between 9am and 3pm.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That was a long time to sit there Sylvia. I hope it helped Dhiren.X

While I was sitting I had time to think.

I remembered the time when I went shopping and Dhiren stayed at home.

While I was out , unexpectedly, the heavens opened. As I hurried home, I turned the corner to see Dhiren coming to meet me carrying an umbrella. He had remembered I didn`t have one with me and he had come to help me . In his haste and full of anxiety he had forgotten his coat and was soaking.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland

I'm pleased for you that you didn't take it to heart, Sylvia. It is a learning curve, isn't it. Knowing when to "let him be". But being there. I am gradually learning....

As I hurried home, I turned the corner to see Dhiren coming to meet me carrying an umbrella. He had remembered I didn`t have one with me and he had come to help me . In his haste and full of anxiety he had forgotten his coat and was soaking.
Sad, and moving.

Loo x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Paul went to visit today. He was upset because Dhiren really wanted to tell him something but didn`t have the language.

It is very difficult for Dhiren to initiate conversation. He has something to say but is unable to find the words. When I go, I can sometimes guess correctly but Paul finds it impossible.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if you visit together, occasionally.

No we don`t Butter.

When Dhiren first went into the home we agreed we would visit separately because when we were three, Dhiren switched off and relied on Paul and I keeping the conversation going.

At least he is still trying and Paul can cope, even though it upsets him.

We visit together for birthdays.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am sorry to hear that Paul was upset following the visit to his Dad. How frustrating for both of them - Dhiren trying to express something and Paul just not able to understand.
I wonder if Dhiren will still remember and be able to convey whatever it was to you on your next visit.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had the same experience as Paul today.

Dhiren wanted to tell me something, started to tell me something, but was unable to articulate what he wanted to say.
So I interrupted him and said `You mustn`t worry about anything. Leave the worrying to me and I will sort everything out. Your job is to get well and build up your strength.`
And he replied, `I know.`
And I realised it is what I always say and I`ll tell Paul so it will make it easier for him next time.

We looked through his book today and he enjoyed it.

And then he said `I think I`ll sleep here tonight.`, as clear as could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.