A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
The same here. Reading has gone out of the window for now, but I still keep buying books that are recommended to me, to read sometime in the future..

As for the tears, a Joan Armatrading song comes to mind (...but if you're feeling sad, let the tears roll down..."

Big hug - Kathy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Tina.
Please post about your venture into U3A and how you get on. I heard about it from Hazel, you heard about it from me and others will hear about it from you, and that`s what makes the world go round. :)

I too have started reading again, thanks to Joanne`s TP Bookclub. I`m reading `The Lovely Bones` and have two more books waiting to be read. I stopped reading years ago when I was still working and didn`t have time to read during daylight hours. Now I have and it`s a renewed pleasure.

Pam, a one finger typist would be accepted. I type with only two fingers and no one has made any comments.

Thank you Tarika.
My mother was also given a crash mattress after suffering carpet burns. I`ll see whats on offer for Dhiren and post about it.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
It upsets me to see the change in Dhiren and I`m still very vulnerable. I cry at the drop of a hat.
This morning I couldn`t remember the sequence for my computer course and when I realized what a silly mistake I had made, my eyes filled. When I got to the home and the manager asked how I was , the tears fell, and they are falling now as I type.
I comfort myself by telling myself they are a safety valve.

Hello Sylvia, Someone described this vulnerability as 'living close to the water'. I hope today brings fewer upsets for you and that you are looking after yourself. I don't think however that you should be crying over computers. They are a much overrated invention IMHO and can reduce anyone to tears at the drop of a hat. :cool: Sending hugs and kind thoughts. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have hurt my knee. :(
It`s a long standing arthritic knee which I have managed to keep on an even keel by taking Glucosamine and Turmeric for years.
I have been doing more walking just recently to try to get fit and yesterday as the Podiatrist was attending to my foot, something in the knee began to hurt.
I now have a sore left foot and a sore right knee. I`m hobbling, and thankful for Dhiren`s `Grab Rails` and walking stick. :eek:
Blow!!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I have hurt my knee. :(
It`s a long standing arthritic knee which I have managed to keep on an even keel by taking Glucosamine and Turmeric for years.
I have been doing more walking just recently to try to get fit and yesterday as the Podiatrist was attending to my foot, something in the knee began to hurt.
I now have a sore left foot and a sore right knee. I`m hobbling, and thankful for Dhiren`s `Grab Rails` and walking stick. :eek:
Blow!!

Oh rats, Sylvia. That's too bad.:mad: Have a restful day until things calm down.
x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sylvia,

Try rubbing some of that Aloe Vera heat treatment on and around your knee;) I found that when I'd done something to mine, one of those pressure bandages you can get from the chemist was really helpful because it stops you bending it in the usual way.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry you're in pain, Sylvia. And of course it's bank holiday weekend. Why do these things always happen then?

As it went suddenly, when you weren't even weight-bearing, it could be a twisted ligament, or something like that. If it's not better by Tuesday, please see a doctor. In the meantime, rest!:)

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel.
I`ll go and buy some knee support and pick up my computer while I`m out, as I`ve had Windows 7 installed. I know you have it so might be picking your brains. :)
It will be a good sitting down job, working my way through getting to grips with it.
Love xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Morning Sylvia,
Sorry you are not feeling too good this morning. I suffer from osteoarthritis in my bag, leg, knees, feet and hands, I have had physio and hydro physio several times. Physio suggested I purchase a tens machine to use when it was at its worst so I did. They are a pain in the backside to wear and take on and off, but they help. I often forget to use mine, but when I am in agony I do use it. I wonder whether this is something that might heltp you.

Personally I feel my arthritis is worse if I keep still for too long, gently movements to me is better, unless of course it is a sprain, which needs resting. The damp weather does not help either.

Hope you have a peaceful day.

Love x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I have a TENS machine too, Winnie, for my neck, and it does help. I bought one with a setting for relaxation, and that's good too, when I'm really stressed and can't sleep.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry, missed your post, Sylvia.

I like Windows7 now I've got used to it. My problem is that I've still got XP on my PC, and the two systems don't seem to network well together. I don't want to upgrade my PC, because I should be thinking of a new one. But not till I've got the house move sorted!:eek: Isn't life complicated!:eek:

My Sky+ box wouldn't work this morning. I tried the usual switch off, switch on, but still nothing. And I'm one month out of warranty, and I turned down a maintenance contract!:eek:

Anyway, I rang the helpline, and a very nice lady talked me through what to do. She said it would be better if I had someone to help me, as it was tricky for one person to do, but I managed, and I'm ridiculously proud of myself!:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
:eek::eek: I thought Window 7 was compatible with HP, which I have on my main computer. :eek::eek:
Blow.!!
But it must be better than Vista.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It is compatible, Sylvia, sorry to worry you.

It's just that when both my computers had XP, I could sent doculments from one to the other, and to the printer upstairs from my laptop downstairs. I can't seem to do that now. Windows7 has its own home networking system, and gets very confused if you try to network in a different way.

But it's not a major problem, I just use flash drives to transfer. I'm sure an expert could set it up for me, but it's really just as easy with a flash drive.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such a sad visit

When I arrived at the home Dhiren was in his room being changed, so I waited in the sitting room for him.

As he was being wheeled in he called my name, `Sylvia!` As the hoist was being moved to enable him to sit in his chair, he lost sight of me but kept calling my name. I reassured him I was still there.

As soon as he was in his chair I moved my chair closer to him. He asked for his mother. I told him I would try to find her.

His lunch came but he refused to eat. He slapped my hand away when I tried to persuade him and shouted , `I don`t want it. I want my mother.`
I went for assistance and as is my way, was upset.

The carer thought I was upset because he wanted his mother instead of me. I had to assure her it wasn`t so. I was upset because I was unable to provide what he wanted and he wouldn`t take my responses or his food.

We returned to Dhiren to find he had grabbed his pudding, had eaten it with his fingers and it was all over the place. The carer cleaned him up, talking to him all the time, trying to calm him, saying I would find his mother after I`d had a drink.
Dhiren said `Go now and bring her here.`

I prepared myself to go. The carer gestured to me to stay, still trying to persuade Dhiren he wanted to see me, saying I`d come a long way to see him.
He said I must find his mother.
I told the carer there was no way he would be persuaded from this train of thought. If he was at home, I would have distanced myself to another room for an hour or so. If he was mobile, he would have been out of the door searching.

And so I left [to find his mother] . He offered his cheek for a kiss but still wanted me to go. I had been there less than half an hour.

I hope this is not a permanent or long term stage. Not because I will feel rejected, but because my visits will be short and of little or no benefit to either of us.

And even though I was really upset all the way home I was grateful to have been able to walk away from it.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Really sorry that your visit was so gut wrenching Sylvia. It must have been terrible to watch the confusion and not feel your responses were meeting his needs.

However, it's touching that Dhiren still knows your name and he still offered his cheek to you.

I trust and pray that this is a one-off. It probably is. Wish I was closer and could make you a cup of tea and share a cupcake. Sending you hugs anyway. Love Deborah

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Oh, Sylvia, how distressing for you. It is the helplessness that gets to you, isn't it. The being unable to provide what he wanted. It may be that to-day was a one-off occasion and that your next visit will be as sunny as some of your previous ones. I hope that the sadness and upset does not linger with you for too long and that you find something this afternoon to take your mind off things. Hope you have had a cup of tea and a cup-cake already.:):)

Love, Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Sylvia, what a distressing visit for you. Dhiren had periods like that at home, when he rejected you, but you knew if you left him for a while he would eventually come looking for you. He can't do that now. That's the negative.

The positive is that you know that he is being well cared for, food will be provided when he is ready to eat, and you don't have to worry about him.

Still you must be feeling pretty desolate. I hope it's a one-off, and that he'll welcome you properly on your next visit.

Love,

Status
Not open for further replies.