A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
4 a.m.
D `Are you all right?`
S `I`m fine. Are you?`
D `I`m all right. Never better. No aches and pains, a clear head, fine and dandy.`
S `Good. Go back to sleep now.`
D `What happened to my daughter?`
S `You haven`t got a daughter.`
D `I have. Her name is Sita. She must be 25 or 26 by now.`
S `You have been with me for 48 years.How could you have a daughter who`s 25 or 26?`
D `I have. her name is Sita Ram.`
S ` Is there something you haven`t told me? Is there a dark secret from your past?`
D `No. There are no secrets. I know I`ve got a daughter. I feel guilty now, but I lost my mind 30 or 40 years ago. I get very mixed up.`
S `You have lost your memory, but only recently. You were fine till then.`
D `I thought I had a daughter.`
S `Perhaps you have, but I don`t know of her.`

6 a.m.
D `We are in B**********, aren`t we?`
S `Yes.`
D `We live here permanently?`
S `That`s right.`
D `How long have we lived here?`
S `5 years.`
D `I remember now. I keep asking you.`
S `You do.`
D `Have I got any children?`
S `You`ve got Paul.`
D `How could I forget? He has three children, Grace, Lucy and Harry.`
S `That`s right.`
D `They must be at university now.`
S `They are still at school. They are too young for university, they are only 13, 11 and 9.`
D `Do they live with us?`
S `No, they have thier own house just a few minutes walk away.`
D `Why did we come here?`
S `To live near Paul.`
D `It`s better here. Quiet and peaceful. We have a good life.`

Then..........
D `I am getting old.`
S `I know.`
D `I will die soon.`
S `I don`t think so. You have a lot of living to do yet.`
D `I hope so.`
.......and he listed all the people we know, those still alive and those who had died.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday a new number puzzle was published in the Daily Express.
I have been given permission to reproduce it as I thought it might be of interest.

There are three levels. Dhiren completed all three correctly, as mental arithmetic exercises.

Beginner
Half of it
Add 2
Divide by 3
Times by 6
+1
Double it
Take away 1
Divide by 7
Times 3
Answer?

Intermediate
Nine
x7
Deduct 3
1/4 of this
2/3 of this
x4
+2
+7
+9
Double it
Answer?

Advanced
Fifty Six
1/7 of this
nsquared
+16
15% of this
x9
Half of it
1/6 of this
+17
This is 33 1/3% of the answer
Answer?

Compiled by Norman Lock. ebooks available.

Who can understand the working of the brain. :confused:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Dhiren completed all three correctly, as mental arithmetic exercises.

Who can understand the working of the brain. :confused:

I went straight to the advanced one, had to do it twice, checked on the calculator and realised I had added 9 to 17 and got 25 :eek::eek:

As you say, how is it that some parts of the brain are so affected and others left apparently unscathed?

As to Dhiren saying he has a daughter, my Dad told the consultant he had 5 children. When the consultant relayed this to my Mum she said rather tartly "Really? Well he only has three with me"

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sylvia, I am sure you praised Dhiren for his prowess. He must have been really pleased with himself.

Sue, I have a friend who had a similar experience. She was not amused either.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
There are three levels. Dhiren completed all three correctly, as mental arithmetic exercises.
:eek: His good

Just looking at those
Fifty Six
1/7 of this
nsquared
+16
15% of this
x9
Half of it
1/6 of this
+17

:confused:me make me want to do running , was never good at maths

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That`s why I posted it Margarita.

He was always good at mental calculations and it`s a skill that seems unaffected by Alzheimers. But he cannot understand a bank statement, still opens every cupboard to find a cup, and confuses Manchester with India. :confused:

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Wow Sylvia - once I was past the first one I was searching for my calculator!

It is so odd how some areas of the brain remain intact. It astonishes me that my mum can't speak but can sing familiar hymns all the way through.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just now.
D `When did I come from Manchester?`
S `Five years ago, with me.`
D `I can`t believe it. Where is my mother?`
S `Your mother was in India. She will have died by now.`
D [shaking his head in disagreement] `You don`t know.`
S `You are 75, your mother would probably be over 100 if she were still alive.`
D `My grandmother lived to 120.`
S `Well you haven`t heard anything for years.`
D `I have to find them. How much is a ticket to Manchester?`
S `About £75, but your family isn`t in Manchester. They are in India.`
D [tut tutting with impatience] `I`m sure my family is in Manchester. I have to go.`
S `I know you do. But I don`t want you to be disappointed.`
D `If no-one`s there, I`ll come back.`
S `All right. We`ll book a ticket tomorrow.`
D `I can`t sleep. Every night I wonder what`s happened to them.`
S `Don`t worry. We`ll go and see if we can find them.`
D `Will you come with me?`
S `Of course I will.`
D `Thank you.`

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This afternoon I had a sleep. Unusual for me, but a few restless nights have left me tired.

I woke a bit groggy, Dhiren offered to make dinner. I was happy to agree and off he went into the kitchen.

I came on TP and he was back and forth chatting to me. I asked if everything was all right in the kitchen.
` Fine` he said, `it`s what I know.`

Then he became a bit worried.
`Will you come and taste it, I think I`ve put too much salt in.`

It was inedible. It was a curried Dhal [lentils and cauliflower]. I was for throwing it out, but he could`t bear to throw good food away, so he drained off the liquid, added more water and more spices.

`I`ll be fine now,` he said. `Go back to the computer and I`ll call you when it`s ready.`

No call came.....

So I went into the kitchen and it was spotless. He`d eaten all the food, washed up and put everything away.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Sylvia

Didn't he do well? Your kitchen was spotless.

I suppose you just had to raid the freezer for convenience meals.

Or maybe Dhiren is just trying to help you, diet:D

Keep smiling:)
Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We`ve had such a sad evening. He cried when he realized he`d eaten all the food and forgotten me. He cried because he didn`t know what he`d done.
He couldn`t even remember he`d cooked, never mind eaten.

And throughout the evening he was having lapses every half hour or so. One minute we were having what seemed like a normal conversation, the next minute he didn`t know where he was.

Each time I left the room he wanted to know where I was going.

So I had fish and chips from the freezer and sticky toffee pudding with custard. :eek:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Sylvia,
He did do well with cleaning the kitchen. On reflection, I would have been horrified to have eaten what he had originally prepared. What you had sounded lovely. As my 7 year old is sleeping over to-morrow and I have not been well enough to go out for shopping, my daughter is bring in my favourite M & S food. Now why do you think I don't mind the sleep overs !!!!
Best wishes. Christine

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Slyvia

I am so sorry for making light of Dhiren's cooking, meals skills?

Sorry you had such a sad evening and Dhiren felt a failure. I don't know if he did, but I can imagine that he meant to cook a nice meal for you, but forgot and ate it all instead. Never mind the thought was there and that is what counts.

Hope you have got over, forgiven, forgotten, the confused meal!!

T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s fine Alfjess, don`t worry.

The trouble with incidents like these is sometimes they are very funny and other times they border on being tragic. It all depends on the mood at the time, and how it affects the time following. It isn`t easily conveyed on paper.

The kitchen may have been spotless, but the cupboards weren`t. Least said. :)

He was subdued all evening but woke this morning in a much better frame of mind, having forgotten yesterday. So today has been better.

I know you are having a very hard time now. I do hope life gets a bit less worrying for you.

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Sylvia,

Have been a bit busy these last couple of weeks but have just come back to TP and am reading your thread to start.

Your life seems not to have changed but it raises a point that gets to me quite lot.

Dee occaisionally stands beside me when preparing a meal and says "what can I do ? ". I have no real answer. I am a very bad organiser of my time and end up trying to prepare a meal in too short a time. Handling a knife is fraught, peeling anything takes too long .... and so on, So it usually ends up with Dee arranging the table - which I have to redo as soon as she loses interest.,

From your wealth of experience, any suggestions please ?

It's good to be back on TP.

With love to you both.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
When Peter was at home, I got him to help lay the table with me. "Could he help peel potatoes, ys that would be a great help as I have rheumtoid arthritas throughout my body,those thing are very difficult. Potatoes done. Then enden up like golf balls!. Never mind I thought, I will go without.
Since Peter has been in the E.M.I. Unit and in latter stage, oh how I would love him here to keep asking the same questions over and over again.
I once gave him a bag with 3 pairs of leather gloves, two warm scarfs, and 3 warm hats. Now I asked him to take them to the bedroom. when he needed them, lo and behold he had put them in the rubbish and the dustmas had called to cellect it all. They were all brand new. There is nothng I could say to him other than they will turn up sometime but will get you some more. Just another day in the life of a Carer. Best wishes everyone. christine

Status
Not open for further replies.