A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My big problem is all the ones I`ve looked at have a high sugar content, as as Dhiren is diabetic I don`t really know what to do.

A normal apple has natural sugar in it anyway, also a whole orange .

mum was told she can only have one whole large Orange a day, because , Even to much natural sugar in fruit is not good for people who are diabetic.

My mother really into fresh Orange Juice , whole Oranges, because a diabetic nurse told her that she was allowed One orange a day. So mum ether get One whole orange one day , the next day I small bottle of orange Juice that says No artificial sugar in it, Which is like a large whole orange .

So you can give " D " One small glass of no artificial sugar Apple juice,

So you should look out for " No artificial sugar Apple juice, you can get them in little bottle in M&S also in Large supermarkets .Or One small glass of no artificial sugar Apple juice,in large cartons .

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Maggie

I`ve never been told about natural sugar in oranges. Dhiren has far too many. He should have one a day but forgets and has another and another.......he then sees the orange peel in the waste bin so throws it in the garden, in the bushes.

It`s a standing joke with the man who does the garden. We are the only garden with orange peel weeds.

Dhiren has forgotten all about the apple juice now so I will forget it too. If it is of any benefit it`s too late now and something else he will obsess about. He has always eaten an above average quantity of fresh fruit and vegetables, being brought up as a vegetarian, and a fat lot of good they`ve done him.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I`ve never been told about natural sugar in oranges. Dhiren has far too many. He should have one a day but forgets and has another and another

That what my mother use to do :) soon as my back turn. I am not in Kitchen , mum would be peeling an orange . she lost the skill now, so when she in Kitchen now with Zimmer frame she have one in her hand, hands it to me . I tell her she had one already .

I can not peel them as good as mum use to , so I have to cut them in 4 for her .

Dhiren has forgotten all about the apple juice now so I will forget it too. If it is of any benefit it`s too late now and something else he will obsess about.

My mother use to be like that with fruit, food , what she can eat not eat with being diabetic, but like with all mum obsession they all pass, all mum worry about now is that the day centre changing location, they keep telling the day . Then it all changes the date of the move & mum worry about it none stop .

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm sorry to use your thread Sylvia but I want to reply to a post by Barb.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm sorry I have to post this to Barb (something I've felt I wanted to post for months now but never had the courage to do so as I would not wish to upset or hurt her or cause yet another 'bad rift' type of tit for tat postings). xxTinaT

Sorry Barb,

But you can only talk about your experiences and I can only talk about mine - which are at the opposite ends of the pole completely!!! What you do with Ron is up to you, you know him best. I've never met him, except through your posts of course.

You have every right, in your case, with your husband, to say....he sleeps enough, he is not suffering.... therefore pills are not appropriate in my husband's case. You can also say, no care home for my Ron ....he sleeps a lot, he needs a lot of physical looking after but I can cope with the physical side. It damn near kills me at times but I can cope. This illness makes me lonely even though he is by my side (most of us are, like you very, very lonely)

The only peace my husband gets from the mental torment he is in is because of medication. His life, and mine, is unbearably painful without medication. He suffers from extremes of obsessive behaviour all his waking hours, he suffers from extremes of fear and anxiety almost all his waking hours. He also is incontinent. I can deal with the incontinece on my own. I am aged 63 and although do have some health problems, I am a youngish woman and can cope with the physical side of caring for incontinence. Other people may have to let their husbands go into a home because they are ill themselves or physically incapacitated.

My poor husband goes through extreme mental torment and I in turn, go through it with him. My husband needs medication. Yours from what you say and I'm sure you are right, does not. My husband needs 24/7 care from more than one person. Yours does not.

Dementia is not the same for every sufferer - we all know that. I just wish sometimes, once in a while, you would take a little pity when you post and understand how much it hurts me when you triumphantly proclaim - no pills - no care home. Every time you proclaim this, I feel like sh***t because I'm NOT in your position. My position is pills AND care home.

I love your spirit, Barb, you know this. I admire the way you look after your Ron. But please realise that I'm not in your position and I suspect, some of your posts also are very hard for others who are not in your position to read.

You can shout from the hilltops whatever you want of course. But I know that you care about all of us, whatever our position is, just wish you would say so once in a while.

xxTinaT

xxTinaT

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear All, once again I am in the poop

I shall reply to tina via Pm.
If she wishes to publish it, that is up to her. I give my permission.

Barb X

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Silvia

I'm sorry to use your thread Sylvia but I want to reply to a post by Barb.

Sorry Silvia
I and T will sort it out, nothing to do with you.
Appologies X
Barb X

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
This is the last word I will say - then whatever you reply I will not answer. Your pm's to me tonight were offensive and I said that I did not want you to pm me again and I would not reply to your pms - End of story

TinaT

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Sylvia,

Please post on your wonderful thread. I am so worried that I have ruined it. Please let's get back to normal a.s.a.p. Our daily lives are so 'not normal' and I know how valuable so many of us find your thread.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Tina

Please do not worry. You have done nothing wrong. And never hesitate to post on this thread, your knowledge and experiences are invaluable.

Everyone knows how you fought for only the best for Ken and how heartbroken you are to be unable to have him at home full time with you.

Your post on points to look for when searching for a good care home have been bookmarked by many of us for future reference, for which we are grateful.

Dhiren slept from 7.30pm yesterday until 10.30pm today. He woke with no recollection of yesterday.

Thankfully, his face has regained the relaxed and peaceful expression of the last two weeks and he has been calm.

He noticed the furniture is looking a bit dingy...[I chose not to tell him it`s because he will wipe his sticky fingers along the side of his chair]...and wanted to clean it. I gave him a sponge soaked with upholstery cleaner and he set to work.

He is very pleased with himself.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Sylvia, that's good news.:)

It must be so good for Dhiren's morale to feel he is doing something useful.

Hopefully back to the good days?

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Wow what a difference.

He noticed the furniture is looking a bit dingy...[I chose not to tell him it`s because he will wipe his sticky fingers along the side of his chair]...and wanted to clean it. I gave him a sponge soaked with upholstery cleaner and he set to work

Treasure each and everyone of these good moments Sylvia. Dhiren must have been at peace with himself for a short time today.
He would not have been aware of anything before the new pills, however long they may work. Everything has to be a bonus.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Glad you've had a better day.

When Dhiren's cleaned your furniture, feel free to send him round to me. I could keep him busy cleaning for days. ;)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:

Catching up on posts ;);)

I am so pleased to know that Dhiren was more relaxed today - again, long may it continue.

Love Jan

Sandye

Oct 22, 2008
KS, USA
Thankfully, his face has regained the relaxed and peaceful expression of the last two weeks and he has been calm.

He noticed the furniture is looking a bit dingy...[I chose not to tell him it`s because he will wipe his sticky fingers along the side of his chair]...and wanted to clean it. I gave him a sponge soaked with upholstery cleaner and he set to work.

He is very pleased with himself.

That's very good news, Sylvia! I'm so happy for you and for Dhiren that he is feeling more relaxed. :D

Well, at least now you know that there might be a few bad days in with the good days. May the good days outnumber the bad for a long time. ;)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And now he is hallucinating

There is a man sitting on one of the chairs in the living room. If Dhiren looks at him he goes away but if he stares straight ahead and ignores him, he stays.

Dhiren thinks he owns the house and I am working here. He has seen this man before many times but is suddenly able to be clearer about him.

He is not frightened of him.

Funny, because when Terry or anyone else visits and Dhiren has had enough, he avoids looking at the visitor and stares straight ahead. He seems to be confusing real visitors and imaginary visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.