A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I think these delusions are to do with intimidation, and Dhiren`s low self esteem . When he was trialing Aricept and Reminyl he dreamt Princess Anne and Prince Charles came with `big booming voices` and he was terrified.

It`s quite sad really. A cause for anxiety.

Totally unlike his family`s connections with the moon mission. ;)
Sylvia I'm mortified to think that I may have caused offence. Sorry! But interpreting behaviour and thoughts, let alone dreams is tough sometimes even with people unaffected by AD. I always go for the obvious first off, hence my comment about something D might have eaten. Medication probably also plays a part too, as Margarita says.
Sending love, hugs and apologies.
Deborah

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Hazel and Deborah

No apologies necessary. :)

Please don`t be over sensitive on my part. I hope you know me well enough by now , virtually anyway.
Sometimes we must smile otherwise we`d all go under, and there was nothing remotely offensive in either of your comments.

I wondered whether it could be to do with Dhiren feeling like he is not important and the above, and his family connections to the moon mission, might be about wanting to feel important and valued again. We all do need to feel valued and we gain that from TP but those we care for cannot access value in the same way.

Helen, I think you are right. There is no way Dhiren can access value, even from me. If I praise him, which I try to do whenever possible, he doesn`t hold the praise for more than a few seconds, so it`s of little benefit.
He still responds to touch and closeness, but even that doesn`t stay with him.

His night must have been quite disturbed, it is midday and he is still asleep.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

It is unusual.

Dhiren has been sleeping later, perhaps till 9.30am., which is one of he reasons I make afternoon appointments when possible and why the day care transport came too early for him at 10am., even if he had wanted to go.

When Terry came on Friday at 11am. Dhiren had just finished dressing.

When he woke today, he then slept a further 45 minutes in the chair. He has just had some soup and is more alert. He is still in pyjamas and dressing gown.

I am logging unusual sleepiness.

Thank you.

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I am logging unusual sleepiness.

Good idea especially with the questionable area around the diabetes at the moment. Not that I know anything about diabetes but I do know that you have made some (slight) changes to his diet and/or medication.

It must be so exhausting having a dementia. When Alan is agitated I am sure he uses excessive amounts of energy. He is either worried about something (energy), trying to work something out (energy), restless (energy), frightened (energy), getting used to changed circumstances (energy).

I slept well last night for the first time in ages and that is only because I was completely exhausted myself.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

He is either worried about something (energy), trying to work something out (energy), restless (energy), frightened (energy), getting used to changed circumstances (energy).

Another valid point I hadn`t thought of. Thank you.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you

Life is much calmer for the present, I`m still giving Dhiren the additional diabetic med as it might be the cause of calmness but could possibly be a coincidence.

I have written to the GP to tell him what I have done as we haven`t had the test results back yet.

Last night he was very upset about his confusion, afraid I would think him stupid.

This morning he is quiet, almost subdued.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sylvia

I am glad that things are calmer at the moment. Does this mean that you have a little space for your book;) Or are you sewing your knitted blanket together?

I seem to be spending spare moments laminating pictures for Alan. When we went to our friends round the corner, Alan didn't know who I meant just mentioning Norman's name. So I've taken a photograph of Norman and his wife and they are just about to be laminated:D

Love

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Increased sleeping

Sylvia,
I was thinking about Dhiren's increased sleeping. My mother went through several phases of increased sleeping. One was due to medication but others were not. Since Dhiren isn't on a lot of medication, that's probably nto the issue.

Increased sleeping seems to be a fairly common occurence in AD. I personally wonder if AD patients sleep more because it's a way for them to hide from the more and more confusing world.

My mother also started turning day into night at one point. She would sleep very late (noon) and then be up wandering around past midnight. You can imagine how the staff at the NH felt.

These phases appear and disappear. There's not much we can do.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen and Joanne

Helen,
I haven`t done much with my book.
The computer in the bedroom is easier to use for the book as the lap top in the living room is so sensitive, I keep making irreversible errors and it drives me to distraction. [I`m just a bit heavy handed]:eek:
Also, there are parts of my life I am undecided about disclosing, especially if my grandchildren would be reading it, so am in a bit of a dilemma.
And my pictures are still uncovered as I haven`t access to a laminator and do not want to buy a full roll of `sticky backed plastic`.

Joanne,
I don`t think Dhiren sleeps to escape. Some of his sleep might be boredom, but I doubt even that, as he seldom sleeps during the day. When he sleeps a lot he says he feels weak and exhausted.

He was counting his money today. I know he counts it a lot, but as soon as he finishes counting, he forgets how much he has, and it is his security.
He was puzzled and asked why the numbers on the notes begin with 5. He wanted to know where were 1,2,3,4. :(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother was like Joanne's mother - she would sleep to escape I think. Even when well, her mantra was "when the going gets tough, the tough go to bed". I have to believe, though, that the stress that Dhiren is under is enough to exhaust him.

How come you haven't got the test results back yet - isn't this taking rather a long time?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jennifer

How come you haven't got the test results back yet - isn't this taking rather a long time?

I was told if they want to grow a culture it might take a few days. But I might phone tomorrow as it`s a week now.

Something tells me something is wrong.

I bought a specimen bottle from the pharmacy. When I took it to the surgery the receptionist told me it was the wrong type of bottle so gave me the right type and asked me to transfer the contents. Then the diet nurse did a dip test, and then it was supposed to be sent to the lab.

I phoned the following day as instructed but the receptionist I spoke to sounded as if she was not sure what I was talking about. So I`ll wait and see.

Last edited:

Georgina N

Nov 1, 2008
Shropshire
Dear Sylvia,

Hope you have a result of the test soon, and that the surgery hasn't messed up. It's so frustrating waiting for these things,

Much love,

xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:
Just keeping up to date with your thread. I hope you have chased the test results this morning:eek:

Sleepiness seems such a regular symptom of Alz. and I found it came in patches with David. Also we have fairly gloomy weather which makes me feel like hibernating too.

Hope you have a reasonable day.
Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I will phone the GP this afternoon. I doubt Dhiren has a UTI as he is so much calmer although more puzzled.

I don`t know about sleepiness and AD as far as Dhiren is concerned, but we BOTH slept till 11.15am. today and I`m still waking with a cup of tea and TP while Dhiren has a shave.

I think it`s probably tiring being on continual alert, just in case. But I`m lucky in at least being able to make up lost sleep or sleeping according to my needs as well as Dhiren`s , so will not complain.

We watched the film Brick Lane last night.
It`s about a Bangladeshi woman living in the East End of London. There was a lot in the film about wanting to `go home` and I tensed every time I heard those words.
Dhiren picked up his planet book during every commercial, seemingly thinking the film was over, showing how little he was able to take in.
He said it was a good film. I must have watched it with tension, although unaware of it at the time.
And this is probably a cause of tiredness.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have the book Brick Lane - it really is very good.

I must have watched it with tension, although unaware of it at the time.
And this is probably a cause of tiredness.

I'm sure it is the cause - tension really is exhausting. You must have been on pins and needles the whole movie, in addition to the usual (!) stress you're under.

At least you can sleep in, as Dhiren is sleeping well, or at least he's sleeping a great deal.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sylvia

There was a lot in the film about wanting to `go home` and I tensed every time I heard those words.

I can well imagine you tensing at hearing those words. I bet we've all forgotten what complete relaxation is. We get times of extreme agitation, tension, worry and stress and then things ease off for a while. However, I am coming to the conclusion that when things ease off for a while we are not completely care free and completely relaxed. I suppose the calmness provides a small space for our batteries to be re-charged.

I don't know the film but now you've got me curious and I'll look to see if there is a dvd:)

Love

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Ooh claim to fame! I was in the same year at school as Monica Ali the author of Brick Lane. I didn't enjoy the book (probably not allowed to as Monica pinched my friend's boyfriend when we were 16 :D) but thought the film was better.

I can understand why you watched with tension as the husband is planning to 'go home' throughout the film.

Just a thought about the sleepiness and please don't think I'm scaremongering, but as it affecting both of you have you checked for gas leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C