A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

It sounds like, all in all, it was a very good morning in that there were small steps towards what might be beneficial in the future. Dhiren is coping with the little steps (which are massive really) in that he copes with C and I coming into his home. Hopefully, bit by bit Dhiren will get used to the changes that are taking place and you will get some benefit from the changes.

Hope you get time to put your feet up now and watch our mens relay team get disqualified!!

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Helen.

It was a good morning for me but i doubt it was a particularly good morning for Dhiren.

I think he felt his home was being invaded, and we all know how important the privacy of our own homes are.

Love xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
It is so hard when the person we care for has needs that conflict with our own needs, needs that due to their illness they cannot see...but that cause us the carers so many problems.

Two steps forward and one step back, but hopefully by shifting the process to small goals rather than a larger one you may get what you need without confrontation. It does not make it any easier in that sometimes there is understanding and then it is forgotten.

(((hugs))) May your grains of sands become mountains over time

Mameeskye

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

and we all know how important the privacy of our own homes are.
Yes even I am not particularly looking forward to having to get used to someone else having such a large role in our home and lives. If I feel that this, then goodness knows what Dhiren and Alan must feel:eek: On Tuesday evening, the attic clearing episode, Alan told his grandson "you should go home to your missus". Alan kept saying it and his poor grandson felt quite unwanted I'm sure. Alan definitely felt invaded and they were all family! However, needs must.

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
He wants to try part time attendance at the day centre, thinking a full day of activities is too much. Also there is a quiet time after lunch which is unstructured and where Dhiren becomes restless and anxious. Part time attendance would avoid it.

I asked if `I` thought it would help if I went too. I would have the cup of tea at the beginning of the session and `fade into the background` gradually, finishing up in the reception area, where I would wait for Dhiren.
And hopefully I would reduce my time there until I was no longer needed.
`I` will discuss it at the next meeting but was very positive about at least giving it a trial.

at least giving it a trial.

Does sound more positive for Dhiren doing it that way and at the end of the day that all we can do really, Give it a try. If it does not work at lest you can look back & say we tried & it did not work. I being an optimistic person am inclined to say. You may also look back saying it work :)

Wishing both of you, all the best.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Maggie

Dhiren made dinner tonight with no help from me. A delicious vegetable curry.

One of the spices he uses is turmeric. It has one disadvantage, it stains. It stains bright yellow.

He has turmeric stains on his shirt, our white washing up bowl looks tie dyed turmeric, we have a turmeric coloured tea towel and turmeric drips down the cupboard fronts.

But the curry was delicious. He was so pleased he hasn`t lost the knack.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sylvia:

How wonderful to have a curry made for you. How I wish :(!

There is a well known product for all stains. I hope it works for you too. At least the bright yellow is a reminder of a dinner well made.

Love Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia!

Glad you enjoyed the curry....:D

Tell Dhiren if he ever ventures up this way again...he is officially appointed as Head Chef......

And my older brother tells me that Turmeric is very good for you..

Not sure in what capacity..but I'll google it and find out...:cool:

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Jan.
The well known product for stains is not 100% effective on turmeric. I`ve tried it before and it needs a couple of washes. The stain is very strong.
But I`ll try again.

Gigi.
I take a turmeric capsule every morning, with Glucosamine, for arthritis and joint pain. It works for me.

But he`s tired now and has just gone to bed with NO sundowning.:)
Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
One of the spices he uses is Dhiren . It has one disadvantage, it stains. It stains bright yellow

My mother away used to use turmeric in her rice, that when I started caring for mum , Mum would not eat white rice , she wanted it yellow .

We get it in a power in Gibraltar, so Just sprinkle it into the rice. does Dhiren use the powered one or the little left ones you get in UK?
I take a turmeric capsule every morning, with Glucosamine, for arthritis and joint pain. It works for me.

I never new turmeric had any nutrients in it . I just thought it was a food coloring . I can't remember but I did read something about what people eat in the India culture , keep AZ away .

Was it turmeric ?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Maggie

Dhiren uses Turmeric powder. We have a great big jar of it, buy it in 250gr packets.

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=93912

Sadly although Dhiren has taken turmeric in food all his life it has not protected him from Alzheimers.

But it does help my arthritis as it acts as an anti inflamatory.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I've only just caught up on your thread and it sounds like you had a real good day. A busy Dhiren, a wonderful meal and an excuse to go out and buy new everything:D

Last, but certainly not least, no sundowning.

Glorious!

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Helen

But what a difference a day makes.

Thirty minutes ago;
His face was like thunder.
He is starving.
I am starving him
He has had no food all day.
I don`t love him
I treat him like a slave.

So I showed him the dinner I`d prepared and he said it was just for show.

I heated a tin of soup and while it was heating he was telling me how badly I treat him. I`ve given him the soup and left him to it.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Oh dear

I just hope you aren't in for the long haul tonight Sylvia. I don't suppose Dhiren is the sort of person who would be happy having healthy titbits every 10 minutes or so if he's not getting the internal message that he's eaten?

It is so disheartening not to get the normal thankfulness that we all need.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
He has had no food all day.
I don`t love him
I treat him like a slave.
Gosh Sylvia - after yesterday you would think he would be into making another curry! Poor you. Not sure how to comfort but 'tomorrow is another day'. I hope this evening is ok for you.

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He`s full of remorse now but however hard I try I cannot stop being affected and it has changed my mood.

I`ll get over it.

Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
and it has changed my mood.

Helen has quoted part of your post and here I am quoting another :eek:

Surely even 'normal folk' are affected by those they live with. When living with Alz. it doubles up the affect.

My mood seems to change hourly - I no longer recognise myself :eek:

Love Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallieAnne