POA are you due a refund?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm still waiting for that phone call as well although I am going to chase them next week. Don't see why we should have to wait longer than anyone else! The way I understand it they'll go through the online claim with you while you're on the phone with them or something. Sounds mad.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I'm still waiting for that phone call as well although I am going to chase them next week. Don't see why we should have to wait longer than anyone else! The way I understand it they'll go through the online claim with you while you're on the phone with them or something. Sounds mad.
Thanks Beate and I agree with you. I was 24 in line to wait before I finally got through but on the radio recently I heard someone say they were told they were 84th!:eek: however like you will chase them

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Don't bother chasing them. I've tried them on the phone for nearly an hour now. It's not the queue that's the problem but that they cut off every call when you're at the front of the queue! I'm on my fifth attempt and steam is coming out of my ears. They claim that my call is important to them but they completely let everyone down who has no option but to call them! How can I complain about this? :mad:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Don't bother chasing them. I've tried them on the phone for nearly an hour now. It's not the queue that's the problem but that they cut off every call when you're at the front of the queue! I'm on my fifth attempt and steam is coming out of my ears. They claim that my call is important to them but they completely let everyone down who has no option but to call them! How can I complain about this? :mad:
That is so frustrating but thanks for sharing Beate. Any refund is going to be reduced by the cost of the calls :mad: I still don't understand why we couldn't do it online like everyone else and then just send supporting documents in.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I applied online and got an email within a week saying refund would be in bank within 10 days.

Weird thing is the amount is different for me than my wife (4 lots of LPAs)?

It’s only about £5 but all the original forms were submitted at the same time and registered within the same week (August 2014).

I was going to query but noticed on the website that the lower figure seems to be the correct one so maybe I’ll keep quiet.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know! It's a 0300 number which should be included in the free minutes of my call plan but it's frustrating nevertheless. I gave up after the fifth attempt after I was yet again cut off while having made it to first in the queue. Then I called back, randomly choosing another number option and complained to the person who answered there. Because you can get through to any other department! She couldn't help me of course but I just needed to complain. She said she's heard it from a lot of other people too, but I'll just have to wait until they call me back. Ludicrous.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
It happened to me too. I was first in the queue and was cut off. I also rang another department to be told that if you are in the queue for longer than ten minutes you automatically get cut off where ever you are in the queue. I claimed on line and it states you only have to submit one claim even though you have both health and welfare and property and finance and they will search the records for any that are eligible. We took out both together but have only received a refund for one and I was trying to report this. Please check when you get your refunds that they have refunded the right amount.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I know! It's a 0300 number which should be included in the free minutes of my call plan but it's frustrating nevertheless. I gave up after the fifth attempt after I was yet again cut off while having made it to first in the queue. Then I called back, randomly choosing another number option and complained to the person who answered there. Because you can get through to any other department! She couldn't help me of course but I just needed to complain. She said she's heard it from a lot of other people too, but I'll just have to wait until they call me back. Ludicrous.
Let us hope we are both at home when they decide to phone!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've given them my mobile phone number but if I'm out and about I sometimes don't hear it plus would not have access to the data or the Internet. It's an incredibly stupid system. They had to create the online form from scratch so why couldn't they include a section for special cases and an upload facility for documents? And who thinks it's a good idea to cap every waiting call at 10 minutes?

Alison, if you're not waiting for a callback and can't get through, try to email them at poarefunds@justice.gov.uk. You might get an answer that way.

Vix321

Mar 24, 2015
Apologies if this has been shared already, but I've just been made aware that you can apply for a partial refund of your applications fees if you applied for POA between April 2013 and March 2017. Something about the Office of Public Guardianship overcharging people. (You can still apply even if someone has passed away)

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund

I've just applied to have Mum's fees refunded, it was very easy to do.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Applied online 1/02/18, acknowledgement email saying will be in my account by 26/0418 at latest.

Just got (16/02/18) email saying refund approved, if not paid into my account within 10 working days contact them.

Cash from 'Ministry of Justice' arrived in my account this morning (26/02/18).

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
had an email today to say Mum would be getting a refund of £90.60 paid into her bank account within next ten days.