POA are you due a refund?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
See the link below from the DM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-4730098/Thousands-refund-power-attorney-fees.html
Basically charges for an LAP which should be revenue neutral have made a surplus of £89 million pounds and this should be refunded to those who took out an LAP between 2013 and April this year when the fee went down from £110 to £82.
If you took out both types of LPA then I guess you double that to a £56 refund, they have said "The Ministry of Justice has said a refund process will be announced 'in due course'." so they seem to be saying that there will be a refund process.
One worth watching if you took out an LPA in 21013 and before April 2017, possibly.
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Scottish refund on funeral plans

Thanks Kevin I will watch for that too. We took ours out in 2012 but it wasn't registered until the start of 2013.

On the funeral plans from Age UK I got a refund recently of around £150 because a second doctors signature is no longer needed for a cremation. This amount was factored into the plan and now returned. I don't know if at applies elsewhere in the UK.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The cost for one LPA was £110 when we did it, now it's £82, but when I look at their table, they seem to actually reimburse more than the difference - interesting.

Yes, definitely 'interesting' as they're including 0.5% interest ;) Thanks for posting up the link for claiming the refund - Mum will be due a refund for 2 POA's.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
2 POAs here too but we only paid the 50% discount. Still - £37 id not to be sneezed at. They say you have to phone them if the donor has died so that's what I'll do tomorrow.

I'm a bit surprised though at the different reimbursement amounts - as far as I know the fees haven't differentiated that much in that period?

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Thank you. I don’t have all the documents here I need to claim, but I will get it this weekend. It looks very straight forward.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I have no documents here but managed to complete the form and sent it. It has been accepted.
Oh! I stopped when it asked for the reference number on the document. It’s at the other house, so I can do it tomorrow. There was an option to carry on without the number, but then I thought it might ask for other stuff I don’t have here.