POA are you due a refund?

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Thanks @Kevinl I remember you highlighting this a while ago and bookmarked it then.
Thanks @Beate for the link. I will find relevant info and claim this weekend.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
No nothing else, they say on my receipt of application that everything will be done using my name and address and that it will also pick up my other one too.

I will ring next week regarding my husband’s two LPAs. @Amethyst59

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh brilliant. You can't even get through on the phone! They tell you your call is very important to them, they put you on hold for a while then they cut you off! I can't do it online, the donor is dead, so why aren't they answering my call? Trying again now.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh brilliant. You can't even get through on the phone! They tell you your call is very important to them, they put you on hold for a while then they cut you off! I can't do it online, the donor is dead, so why aren't they answering my call? Trying again now.
I have tried as well Beate.. same

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Haven't given up hope yet - third in the queue. Maybe they'll let me through this time!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I finally got through! She took some details then said she'd send an email with instructions on what to do next. I'll have to email the death certificate and the grant of probate or will, but if neither exists to explain why not, and then they will phone me and do an online application with me. I forgot to ask whether that phone call would be today or in eight weeks! She also had no idea why the refund fees differ that much. What a palaver.

Don't phone them until you absolutely have to! Go online!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I finally got through! She took some details then said she'd send an email with instructions on what to do next. I'll have to email the death certificate and the grant of probate or will, but if neither exists to explain why not, and then they will phone me and do an online application with me. I forgot to ask whether that phone call would be today or in eight weeks! She also had no idea why the refund fees differ that much. What a palaver.

Don't phone them until you absolutely have to! Go online!
Thanks Beate...like you am claiming after dad's death so will have to phone....won't make any difference to anything but as a matter of principle that they are sitting on so much!

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Did the claim online today for myself and my wife (PWD). Quick and easy to work your way through and got an immediate text message with claim ref number etc.

Many thanks for alerting us to this facility.

Phil

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks for letting us all know.
I was position 7 but it went fairly quick. Not to sure how much back pay it is so hope it’s worth the time and effort.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I will have to do phone for mum. Beate when you say you had to email the death cert, how did you do that? And as I'm not executor I don't think we have grant of probate yet so is better for the exec to deal with it? I was attorney.
Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I will have to do phone for mum. Beate when you say you had to email the death cert, how did you do that? And as I'm not executor I don't think we have grant of probate yet so is better for the exec to deal with it? I was attorney.
Thanks
I've scanned the death certificate so I can send it in PDF form. However, I haven't had their email yet so I couldn't do it yet.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I hope where the donor has died all ex-attorneys applying for a refund have sent the original of any LPAs back to the OPG with a copy of the death certificate, they return it marked 'not valid'.
Failure to have done this will upset their systems and maybe cause delays.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
How do you know that? Why wouldn't sending a death certificate now do the same thing? I certainly never heard of having to send the LPA back on death. An LPA automatically is redundant upon death.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’ve still got all the documentation somewhere! Will have to find the LPA health and see exactly when it was done. The other is an old EPA, no luck there!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How do you know that?

1. Summary 1.1 The Public Guardian is responsible for maintaining a register of attorneys acting under a registered power of attorney and deputies appointed by the Court of Protection. This practice note outlines the requirements for notifying the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) of deaths affecting the registers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-guardian-practice-note-notification-of-death

Why wouldn't sending a death certificate now do the same thing?

It ultimately will, the system will first look for a cancelled power, not find it and then have to take both actions, cancel the power and give refund, or maybe they have set it all up knowing that several people do not return original powers.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I’ve still got all the documentation somewhere! Will have to find the LPA health and see exactly when it was done. The other is an old EPA, no luck there!
It depends when it was registered not when it was drawn up so if you registered the EPA between April 2014 and March 2017, you'd be in luck.

Nitram, I guess it will take ages anyway as they will get loads of refund applications at the same, kind of when my council introduced charging and sent out thousands of financial assessment forms, then acted surprised when they suddenly had to process thousands of financial assessment forms, taking months longer than they had initially told us. :rolleyes: