A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I spent the afternoon raking windfall apples off the front lawn and gathering them into a bucket, and then mowed the lawn. I felt SO self satisfied when I came in, because just as I sat down, I wondered what the noise I could hear was. It was heavy rain! Really sudden downpour, but my mowing was done, ha! It passed a Sunday afternoon too! Then I took the apples to Dau, who wants them for Apple Butter, a sort of sweet, spiced spread. It's cooked overnight, slowly, and turns dark brown and just smells like Autumn!

At least you've been active and constructive Lady A. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
SE Kent has a Wellness Programme, for all who are over 50, called Ageless Thanet. There is an open day today to showcase what is available so we will go and give it a whirl. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is usually an excellent turnout for these events which shows how willing people are to seek out pastimes and hobbies to suit them.

There is a large ageing population in this area and many are very active.

When I get on the buses during term time, all the seats are filled by over 60s ready to go out and about.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I went to see what was available through the U3A and was amazed that many of the activities were over subscribed so great to see all that was there to do but sadly not available. It does show how we, of a mature age, are wanting to be doing and learning.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Sylvia, would you mind if I drop in here now that I qualify?

It's a wet Saturday, and because my mastectomy was the day before Rob died, I can't drive the car at the moment.

Been reading back here, and have already recognised that empty feeling.. His unoccupied chair bothers me now, in a way that it didn't when he was in his other home...
Years go I remember a film in which a widowed Meryl Streep announced passionately " I miss him, I miss him I miss him!" That's how I feel.
The quiet is quieter. Jokes are less funny. Food is less interesting.

No doubt I shall learn. You were the first to hold out your hand when I found TP. I'll never forget.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @DeborahBlythe

Thank you for asking.

As Saffie said , there was a lot on offer but the once I was interested in were over subscribed.

I nearly volunteered to help in a Sure Start nursery but they wanted outdoor activities such as gardening which as you know is not my forte. They didn't`t seem to have the facilities for story telling, reading, music and baking which I would have loved.

Fair to say, this nursery was in the grounds of an allotment but I didn't`t find out what they did when it rained.

Also it was only once a week, on a Thursday morning. I would have been hard pressed to get to my Lip reading class on Thursday afternoons.

That's one of the problems. Classes overlap.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Rageddy Anne

Of course you are welcome to drop in at any time although I'm really sorry you qualify. Drop in as often as you wish until you feel strong enough to start your own thread here.

Some find it easy, others find it really difficult.

I found it easy. I was dealing with loss and this was the place for me.

My friend Helen [Helen33] found it very difficult. She felt she'd be shut out from the rest of the forum and no one would know she was here.

Its a dreadful day today and I haven't ventured out. I'm aware there are more dreadful days in other areas of the UK so won't grumble.

I find the isolation helpful at times, especially during the times when I don't want to talk, I just want to be alone with my thoughts.

It must be so hard for you now, recovering from major surgery and suffering such a recent bereavement.Your poor husband suffered badly and hearing about it was painful enough, never mind having to experience it and witness it.

I hope you will stay with TP for as long as necessary. At least here you will be among friends who do understand.

Perhaps its as well you can't drive just yet. You do need to give yourself time to heal physically. Emotional healing is another story.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Yes, I can understand what Helen felt. I had a thread where I talked about Rob's dementia journey, but that's come to its natural end now. Perhaps a new beginning will be the way ahead. Just at the moment, though, i hope I can just sit here in the corner.

What a pity the allotment nursery didn't need those particular things, but I know you would not have enjoyed the gardening with worms and creepy crawlies!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Yes, I can understand what Helen felt. I had a thread where I talked about Rob's dementia journey, but that's come to its natural end now. Perhaps a new beginning will be the way ahead. Just at the moment, though, i hope I can just sit here in the corner.

What a pity the allotment nursery didn't need those particular things, but I know you would not have enjoyed the gardening with worms and creepy crawlies!
Just caught sight of you here, Raggedy, and sneaking into your corner to give you a quick and gentle hug. Love, x x x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello @DeborahBlythe

Thank you for asking.

As Saffie said , there was a lot on offer but the once I was interested in were over subscribed.

I nearly volunteered to help in a Sure Start nursery but they wanted outdoor activities such as gardening which as you know is not my forte. They didn't`t seem to have the facilities for story telling, reading, music and baking which I would have loved.

Fair to say, this nursery was in the grounds of an allotment but I didn't`t find out what they did when it rained.

Also it was only once a week, on a Thursday morning. I would have been hard pressed to get to my Lip reading class on Thursday afternoons.

That's one of the problems. Classes overlap.
Oh that's a shame Sylvia. Sorry to read that. Do you have a volunteer bureau locally? They usually try to match volunteers to tasks/opportunities. I can't believe there aren't groups who wouldn't bite your arm off in the rush to involve you. But I can see that some activities might get oversubscribed. Where I used to live there was a lady who set herself up as an independent storyteller and offered her services very successfully to libraries. If you had a library near you I am certain they'd be keen to use your skills and these days libraries do loads of activities with children and schools. Just a thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If you had a library near you I am certain they'd be keen to use your skills and these days libraries do loads of activities with children and schools

I do have a local Library Deborah but I won't be offering my services. I'm having a bit of an eye problem so am unreliable.
I will be using the library though for a new meditation and relaxation class in November.

To change the subject.
Dhiren was a good cook and one of the most hospitable people I knew. he would drop everything to cook for family and friends and their appreciation of his food was one of his biggest pleasures.

Paul came yesterday. Grandson Harry had made a surprise visit home from his Drama College. Daughter in law Julie helps Harry a lot with his monologues and sonnets . They face time daily and he gets wonderful support from her.
After visiting me, Paul was off to shop for food. He wanted to make Harry a special meal before he retuned to London.

Paul said " I'm turning into Dad." :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I’m no closer to doing anything either Sylvia. I’ve just about given up on the U3A and haven’t even been to a monthly meeting. I can’t really see the point of sitting in a hall with 499 other people, listening to a lecture in which I have zero interest. I have - as my sister has told me - a bit of a recluse.
Sorry about your eye. I do hope it’s not serious though I know it will be worrying for you.

I have been thinking a lot about you over the last month or so and hoping you were coping ok. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree about the 499 people @Saffie. I might be guilty of becoming a bit reclusive myself. I`d rather do nothing than be irritated. It sounds a bit arrogant I know but its hard being sociable with people you have nothing in common with.
I'm happy I have Tai Chi meditation and yoga which I thoroughly enjoy.

My eye is OK Saffie thanks. Its the drops for dry eyes which are affecting my focus so I'm not unduly worried, its just a nuisance.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Flipping Clocks.

I've mislaid the manual for my bedside radio alarm.

It has to be the most complicated procedure ever.

Its a good one otherwise I`d change it for a radio controlled one. All my user manuals are in the same place but for some reason I remember putting this one in a safer place last year, because its the one I need the most.

I need a GPS tracker for manuals.

Edit.......Amazing. The manual is on line. Job done. :)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing! I has to download an internet manual for my bedroom TV this week as I had managed to get rid of the tuning! What a relief to find it online!

My bedside radio clock has a docking station for my iPhone. All I needed to do was unplug the clock so that the connection was broken. When I plugged it back in and put my iPhone in the dock it automatically changed to the iPhone time!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb