But oh those lonely nights .........

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lady A, I so agree with you. Scarlett's GD will have memories of love from her Grandma-so priceless.

I'm glad that Gloria is feeling a tiny bit better.

Scarlett, another year almost over; I know that you feel as I do so I hope for both of us peace and strength. That goes for everyone on this Forum who feels loss and sadness, particularly at this time of year.

XXXXX

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Love to you too. Good to hear that Gloria is just a little bit better. I hope 'mourning week' isn't as awful for you as you fear but such a difficult time for you with all those memories. So pleased your granddaughter is keeping you to the Christmas traditions, she sounds like a lovely young lady. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
A teeny weeny improvement for Gloria at the end of last week - not much, but definitely something. I'm clinging to any hope at all. She's so upset that she won't be able to come to the Panto, but hopefully, someone's 2nd cousin twice removed is going to record it.

My granddaughter continues her Saturday Job with me, and yesterday we bought this year's bauble for the tree - John and I used to take her every year to do this. I wouldn't bother with any decorations, but she wants to continue the tradition, and I update the list every year listing what we have bought. She put the tree up yesterday and all the baubles, and has confirmed that she will definitely accompany me to the Crematorium on the 23rd - 2 years since John died.

I've sponsored the floodlighting again, at the Church, for the month, in John's name and though I'm dreading "Mourning Week" again, I hope to cope better than last year. December 21st we met, first date the 22nd, John died on the 23rd, proposed on the 24th and his Birthday was Christmas Day. Agony piled on agony, piled on agony.

There are blank pages in my diary from Christmas Eve until 3rd January, and I know Gloria's extended family will want to take advantage of their work-free days to visit her, and it's not fair for me to take up their time, or overtire her, but obviously I will be available to visit whenever.

And I have Jobs Planned to keep me going, and Billy can share my turkey dinner. Love to everyone. xxxx

Hello Scarlett. I haven't kept up on thread, in the last couple of weeks. I'm so sorry to read your news. Hopefully the little bit of improvement with Gloria, is just the start. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Gloria.
So pleased your granddaughter is keeping up with Christmas tradition, and, supporting you at the Crematorium. A very sad and stressful week for you. Wishing you strength.

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) Love M xxx :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
And, thank God, Gloria continues to make a little progress each day. :) However her unfeeling Man Friend has now just found out that he has bowel cancer with secondary tumours on his liver, and another dear friend has just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

Today's concert went very well - 500 people in the audience - and I achieved something I couldn't manage at the same concert last year. I sang "It's the most wonderful time of the year", without my eyes brimming over. :eek: In fact, I kept smiling, all the time. :D My goodness, what an actress!!!

Outpatients tomorrow for my lip cancer, another concert on Thursday, and the Panto on Friday, plus visiting Gloria daily, so no time to feel sorry for myself. I have flung myself into my part so much, that when I opened the door to the postman, who was wearing a Santa hat, and he said "Ho ho ho", it was all I could do, not to slap my thigh!!!

And my Christmas present to myself, a new rug for the lounge, has arrived, and I'm so pleased with it. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well done Scarlett! And the thing is, you see, smiling affects how we feel. It actually does lift us. Whether the smile is real or not, apparently. So, if you keep smiling, hopefully, you will get through your hard week a little easier this year. Even if your smile wobbles a bit from time to time. xx

Your postie's a bit early with his "Ho Ho Ho's" isn't he?! :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well done Scarlett! And the thing is, you see, smiling affects how we feel. It actually does lift us. Whether the smile is real or not, apparently. So, if you keep smiling, hopefully, you will get through your hard week a little easier this year. Even if your smile wobbles a bit from time to time. xx

Your postie's a bit early with his "Ho Ho Ho's" isn't he?! :D

My postie is Another Helpful Man in my life. :) He used to have in depth conversations with John, prior to AD, about West Ham's football prowess, or lack of it, and adjusted his comments as the years passed.

I have often asked him to undo bleach bottles for me, as they defeat my arthritic hands, open an awkward cupboard door, for the same reason, even undo a parcel for me, as scissors are becoming a challenge - and I give him £10 at Christmas, and his cheerful smile, helpfulness and the fact he even gave me a condolence card, make it worth every penny. :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I couldn't face the stress of parking at the hospital (when did it become such a challenge?), so went by bus, even though it's a very roundabout route and took 40 minutes (15 by car). And found, for no reason, the tears rolling down my cheeks, and had to look out the window, blinking.

When I arrived at the hospital, I sat outside for a while, trying to get a grip, and decided to have a coffee, as I had time. And I had only just started to queue, when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was a lady from the gym, who went to many of the classes that I attended, during the 5 years we went regularly.

I hadn't seen her for about 9 years, when we left the gym, as John's illness progressed, and of course, the first thing she asked was "and how's John?" I finished my coffee quickly and went for my appointment, where I was told I would need a further appointment with (and this is what it sounded like to me) "Max Factor". :eek:

As I'm deaf in one ear, I refrained from asking if the great man was still alive, and why I was receiving such special treatment, and just said "pardon?", and the beautiful consultant said "I'm so sorry. I keep using abbreviations. We say Max Fax, instead of Maxifacial", which is apparently the dermatology department that deals with facial cancers.

I'll get a further letter to attend that department, "at some time", and as I left, I felt so alone. There was a bus in the bay, about to leave, and I got on that, but had to get off at the next stop, as I felt so sick. I waited 10 minutes for the next one, and managed 3 stops this time, but then felt hot, clammy, and the sweat was running down my back, as if it was 90 degrees in the summer.

So again I got off, again I waited, berating myself for being such a wuss, trying to stop the tears, ashamed of myself, got on the next bus, still feeling sick and managed to make it home by singing the panto songs to myself, one for each bus stop.

When I got in, I sobbed and sobbed, and poor Billy kept licking me, and eventually, after a couple of coffees and some toast, I'd calmed down enough to make a couple of phone calls to sick friends, and then a hot bath (and a few slugs of Ba*leys) helped enormously.

So this was a lousy day, but I'm determined to nail that smile back on firmly, for visiting Gloria in the morning, and the Women's Fellowship in the afternoon, when I shall sing about 20 carols and Christmas songs. I Will Not Cry!!!!!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Scarlett - sorry you had such an awful time. Well done for managing to get there and back on the bus, and singing to yourself.

Just sending hugs.

Probably a long shot and something you wouldn't be comfy with, but is there anyone in one of your choirs you could confide in?

Sending some more hugs.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Scarlett - sorry you had such an awful time. Well done for managing to get there and back on the bus, and singing to yourself.

Just sending hugs.

Probably a long shot and something you wouldn't be comfy with, but is there anyone in one of your choirs you could confide in?

Sending some more hugs.

Thank you for all the lovely hugs. Much appreciated, but there is nobody I want to confide in - because nobody could keep it to themselves! Unfortunately, it appears that the sort of people who were gossips in the playground, get worse as they get older. :eek: And potential-gossips become fully fledged experts.

I have been told so many things about other people "in strictest confidence", and I usually give my stock answer "well, she's always very pleasant to me", and then scuttle off and get a coffee. I have to bite my tongue when I see the gossip of the day, and the gossipee (if there's such a word ;)), 10 minutes later, in earnest conversation, with the gossip putting her arm round the other one, shaking her head, and looking sympathetic.

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
Scarlett,
I empathise with you and wish I could do more than send a hug.
Your comments about gossip made me almost laugh.
We live in Sheltered Housing. We have our own lovely flat but the communal aspects could be given various titles
e.g. Tea Room gold star gossip centre
Laundry silver star gossip centre
etc etc.

Trying to become used to Communal living ( I avoid as much as I can) is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
I'm supposed to be a Christian but find it very difficult to practice 'love thy neighbour!':)

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Oh Scarlett, I'm sooo sorry you had such a bad day yesterday, but well done for getting home in the end. I cannot offer any real help but wanted to send you massive (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) and lots of love we are all thinking of you. Diana xxxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you for the kind comments and the hugs. Several slugs of Mr Bailey managed to send me into a blissful, uninterrupted sleep. Just returned from Gloria's home, as her cousin is now there, and I must gussy myself up for this afternoon's singing.

Amble, I can well imagine how difficult it must be with Communal living, and gossips having a field day. Although I have many acquaintances, I only have about half a dozen true friends, and 3 of them live several hours away, then I have another half a dozen who are periphery friends.

I once heard someone describe a true friend as a person to whom you would lend your knickers, and a periphery friend as someone to whom you'd lend them, but give them another wash when they were returned, as you couldn't be sure they'd laundered them. :D

I thought that summed it up beautifully. ;)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Scarlett, crying is ok. So is cuddling up to Mr Baileys;) I cuddled up to Mr RED Wine last night. Stupid thing to do as somehow my glass jumped out of my hand and broke on the floor. I didn't clean it up as well as I should and, in the cold light of day, I found wine stains on my coffee table and white wood floor. Oh well! Forget the damage-but what a waste of wine.

Bless your Billy for licking your face.

Hugs from me-and more licks from MY Billy and Cindy.

xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry your choirs are full of gossips, I well know the type you describe, my daughter made friends with a girl whose mum was one, the mum took against my daughter, and encouraged her daughter in the bullying of mine, continuing it by saying goodness knows what about me so that the other parents wouldn't even meet my eyes as I walked into the playground.

I am familiar with Mr Baileys, when the big crisis with my mum happened, I was so stressed that the only way I could sleep was with a nightcap (explosive bullying incident involving dau had happened 4 weeks earlier, when the other mum turned up on my doorstep and only left when I was dialing 999 - so I was in bits anyway)

We all do the best we can and all approach what life throws at us in our own way.

More hugs being sent through the ether.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I Will Not Cry!!!!!

Why-ever not? Weeping a little weep now and then - especially now - surely won't do you any harm! Probably do you good.

Smiling and lifting our spirits by doing so is a good thing. And it does work pretty well, Scarlett. But it's not infallible. And at the moment, you have plenty to make an occasional cry just the thing. Think of it like the safety vent on a pressure cooker - when the pressure gets too high, the safety vent blows, and the excess pressure escapes safely through the vent, rather than the pressure cooker exploding! Well done on making your way to and from the hospital by bus. It was just unfortunate that you had encountered a trigger in what was already a very stressful day. Tomorrow is another day. Whether it will be a good one or not, who knows. But it will be another day. Good day or bad, it will only be 24 hours, and it will pass, and you will be fine. xx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Adding my hugs to everyone else's, Scarlett. You have so much on your plate to deal with alone it's no wonder you break down sometimes. I hope 'Max Factor' don't keep you waiting too long for an appointment. So pleased Gloria is slowly improving fingers crossed that she continues to get better. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I normally just tend to read Scarlett but wanted to add my hugs too. Such a lot to cope with on your own . We are all holding your hand xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
:)Good description Scarlett.
My best friend's husband died this year 6 weeks after their Golden Wedding anniversary.
We meet up ( by bus ride) to talk about anything and everything. Also talk by phone as she doen't use a computer.
Other than that, my daughter is my best friend and so much wiser than her Mother!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh, they all are, Amble. They all are! :rolleyes:

Er, if only LadyA. :( But my darling grand-daughter is wiser than her mother. She has texted me to say she can definitely leave school at lunchtime, as she is now in the 6th form, and has no afternoon lessons, and will be coming to watch her Grandma in the panto. :D

My cup runneth over. It is now 15 months since my daughter spoke to me (for those who don't know, I have no idea why), and though I have had to harden my heart to the situation, for self preservation's sake, and would be loathe to meet her, should she ever ask, I would do, for my grand-daughter's sake. Which is why I still send birthday, anniversary and Christmas cards, to my daughter and son-in-law, though I had neither a birthday card or a Mother's Day card this year.

I received 2 letters from the hospital this morning. The first I opened is for an appointment on the 5th July 2017 :eek:, but then the second one is to see the Maxillo Facial Consultant (MaxFax!) on 21st December! So the first one is obviously to see me after the surgery, as a follow-up.

I'm surprised that I'm seeing MaxFax that quickly, but hopefully that will mean that the surgery will take place soon in the New Year as well. And my lovely Gloria has phoned me this morning to wish me luck and say she will be with me in spirit this afternoon, as I know you all will too.

My only regrets are that my parents, and John, won't be in the audience, but I know they're all Up There, with front row seats, cheering me on.

And I won't let them down. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65