You couldn't make it up!

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Oh Jinx, so very sorry you are having such a bad time. Lets hope Bernard can be moved quickly to a good CH. It is so unsettling for you. I know what it is like to not sleep and everything seems so much worse. Sending you lots of hugs xxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Another night of waking at all the times Bernard normally does, plus the dog wanting to go out in the middle of the night. I wonder how long it will take to get back to a proper sleep routine. Spent two hours with Bernard in hospital yesterday, visiting is only between 4 and 7pm. It does mean I can be there to make sure he eats and takes his meds. He was very relaxed and thought he was in a hotel, bless! The staff are brilliant but it's a dementia ward and they must feel like they're herding cats. No sooner have they got one wandering patient settled there's another heading for the door or needing the toilet. There was a poor old chap in Bernard's bay the day before yesterday demanding the chef be brought to him so he could tell him what meals he needed, he was very loud and using some choice language. He'd gone yesterday, not sure what they did with him!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Oh Jinx just popping in , such difficult times but good to hear Bernhard is quite cheerful . Hugs to you xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi Jinx glad Bernard is feeling relaxed sorry you are not sleeping too well I had same problem when Chris went into hospital it does get better hope you are managing to rest a bit during the day be kind to yourself sending you hugs xxx

June the spoon

Oct 18, 2015
Emerging from the bathroom tonight with wet patches on his trousers OH says "there's something between my legs that makes me very wet". I pointed out the obvious to which he responded rather crossly,"well I know that but why have I got wet trousers?" Somewhat at a loss after that to explain!

My husband did a poo on seat of toilet, standing up it looked like a swirly ice cream, another time he shouted me because something was happening turned out he was stood weeing and poo was coming out in a long strand I cough title in time, he now thinks pooing is something that shouldn't be happening

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
A catheter had been put in again yesterday as Bernard was retaining urine. He has been passing wee OK albeit he is incontinent but wonder why this retention happens, is it part of the dementia? Says in his notes he is very sore and swollen down there not sure if that is cause or effect. So difficult when you never see a doctor to ask any questions.

Last edited:

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Hi Jinx I've just read through this whole thread and I'm so sorry to read about the tough time you're having. My dad had to have a catheter once as he retained urine due to an infection and my God he was so poorly !! He couldn't stand, sit and was totally confused. It was quite frightening. It happened again when they tried to remove it. They checked his prostate as sometimes if it's enlarged it can cause problems going to the loo. It was and now he's on tablets to relieve the problem.

It took a while to get him sorted but it was the worst I've ever seen him. I hope they get it sorted for you and your husband and things settle down.

Thinking of you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I'm very sorry to hear that Bernard is having more problems Jinx. This is what was happening to my husband, he was passing urine but not emptying his bladder. The GP said it was because of the combination of an enlarged prostate and slight infection - as Stresshead said. I may be wrong Stresshead, but I think the poorliness was due to the UTI rather than having the catheter, it may not be that that was what you meant, so apologies if I have misunderstood. My husband was just as you describe before he had the catheter. I think catheters are a mixed blessing, sometimes essential to have them but they do predispose to infection or even exacerbate it if an infection already exists.
Do hope things improve soon Jinx, this is a horrible situation for you both.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

June the spoon

Oct 18, 2015
Pete went through a phases of having a wee standing up and pooing at the same time.:eek: I didn't know whether to stand front or back!

Hi Lynne, that also happened to me (wee & poo) I mean with my husband, I agree to play down the accident I jut said not a problem and got him changed. He was good with that

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
A catheter had been put in again yesterday as Bernard was retaining urine. He has been passing wee OK albeit he is incontinent but wonder why this retention happens, is it part of the dementia? Says in his notes he is very sore and swollen down there not sure if that is cause or effect. So difficult when you never see a doctor to ask any questions.

Jinx I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug I know what you mean about trying to talk to a doctor hope Bernard feels better soon and that you are looking after yourself xxxx

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Just checking in to see how things are with you both, I hope you are getting some rest amongst all this uncertainty.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just caught up with your thread Jinx, and am sorry that you and Bernard have gone through so much. Well remember our assessment meeting when tears flowed freely. Wouldn't like to have to go through that again. I hope you can soon find the right CH where Bernard can settle and be well cared for. I am sure that you will feel really bad for some time but, hopefully you will reach a better place as he becomes settled and contented and begIn to take pleasure from your visits as I do now. Big hugs. Verityxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Have yet to catch up, Jinx, but get the gist from other comments. Truly hope things start to settle for you both, soon as.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
We had the hospital meeting today, very stressful with the SW keeping up the line of 'coming home being in Bernard's best interest' despite the medical team telling us that B is now doubly incontinent, needs two people to mobilise him, the physio has withdrawn because B is not able to remember what they have told him from one day to the next, he needs constant prompting for drinking, eating, meds etc. towards the end of the meeting the SW said 'I actually decided that going into a care home would be in Bernard's best interest before the meeting but wanted to document the reasons for him going home first'. The medical team said they had never been in such an intense meeting before and my daughters and I came out feeling completely wrung out. We were all in tears, particularly my younger daughter. It is such a big change but I can't cope with his increased needs and I know it's the right decision. B will stay in hospital until a suitable care home can be found, I just hope and pray it won't be too long before a place is available, hospital is so miserable. Feeling very teary and emotional. xxx

I was just stunned when that happened to us. Didn't have anyone to be with me to help ME make the right decision. But as for my hubby's care, it's been a Godsend, especially for him. He fell in hospital a few times. If that happened here, we'd be in one hoo-hah of a mess.

Still reading through, Jinx, and hope you're managing to cope a little better, xxxxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smile65