A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O goodness Sylvia, what a way to end such a wonderful holiday.
I do hope this passes quickly. The upside is that you'll be home in your own home soon and there's no place like it when you feel Ill.
The trouble is you have the long journey to reach it first
It's good that you have Helen there with you and I hope she doesn't succumb to this too.
Very best wishes for your homeward journey. x

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
I'm sorry to read that you don't feel well this morning Sylvia :( Hopefully you'll feel better for your long journey home. Thinking of you both and you'll both soon be home to be cosseted by your families :)

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Glad the UTI symptoms have eased Sylvia, but rotten luck to get Delhi belly. Hopefully it is ‘just’ a short term upset similar to what Helen had early in your holiday. I hope she remains alright. Also that this doesn’t make your flight home difficult for you.

You will be glad to get home now and there is no place like it when feeling unwell.

Thinking of you both winging your way home, not too long now. Hope everything goes smoothly.

With love
Loo xxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The symptoms of a UTI seem to have eased now I'm drinking but thank you Jennifer I will see if I can buy pyridine to help.

Honestly, I don't get on a plane without this stuff in my handbag. I've rarely had to use it, but it's a godsend when I have. Oh, and it's pryridium (chemical name Phenazopyridine) :).

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve just got home and Helen is in the car on he way home.

Another eventful day but I`m too tired to write it up . I’ve been up 24 hours with short a couple of short naps on the plane.

I`ve just cleaned my teeth and rinsed them with tap water. What a weird and wonderful thing to be able to do.

Good night all. UK time now. It`s great to be home and I think I`ll sleep for a week. xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Welcome home Sylvia :)

You must be very tired and things will seem quite strange for a while......but you truly have had the experience of a lifetime, I think :) Memories to reflect on for a long time....

Sleep well, our intrepid TP friend :)

Lindy xx

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope you're both sound asleep just now! Looking forward to hearing your news of the journey home. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I forgot my alarm goes at 7am. :roll eyes: I`m awake and feel fine. Having my first cup of tea and will update before i get cracking on a load of washing.

Our journey home.

After a good night in hotel number two, and waking at 5am. we were delivered to Indira Ganhdi Airport New Delhi by taxi, ready to start our journey home.

Security was thorough which neither of us minded, the more secure the better. However I was so intent on getting everything packed I forgot the safety precautions, so after my hand luggage had been x-rayed I was stopped.

I`d packed cutlery ( knife . fork and spoons ) and nail scissors in my hand luggage. :eek:

Airport baggage checker “ Have you any scissors in this bag? “
Silly Sylvia “ No ? “
Airport baggage checker “ Have you any spoons? “
Silly Sylvia “ Spoons? :confused:” “ No. “
Airport baggage checker “ Open your bag please. “
Silly Sylvia :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had to unpack it all and Helen had to unpack hers too. I`m not sure what she`d put in her hand luggage but needless to say we were both hot and flustered but grateful for the level of security.

The flight was good but one hour late , instead of touching down at 6.30pm it touched down at 7.30pm. We both had timetables for trains home at 9.25pm. Two hours sounds OK but it didn`t allow for waiting for our luggage on the carousel, going through passport control, having a badly needed toilet stop, managing extremely heavy luggage and hand luggage , getting on and off Heathrow Express trains, missing a connection for the second Heathrow Express train, rushing down lengthy platforms, navigating our way to the front taxi and paying over the odds for a journey from Paddington to St Pancras and arriving at St Pancras with minutes to spare.

Neither of us wanted to leave the other in case one of us missed our train and I said if we did, and it was the last train we`d just stop overnight at a nearby Premier Inn or other similar hotel.

We said the hastiest goodbye ever and dashed our separate ways .

I got my train with one minute to spare, thanks to the help of a gentleman who helped me onto the lift and through the ticket barrier and even took my heaviest suitcase onto the train and into the luggage rack.

I sat as the train moved off, full of anxiety about Helen. There were so many tunnels My texts wouldn`t send till after 9.30pm and I really didn`t know what had happened. I felt awful, thinking of her missing the train while I was safely on mine.

Then I got a text from Helen, equally anxious about me. She`d caught her train with the same one minute to spare. She was so stressed, the sympathetic staff allowed her to travel in First Class, which was the first carriage on the train .

So that was the end of our journey. Events and adventures almost every day down to the final minutes.

Paul met me at the station and it is lovely to be home.

Martin met Helen and I haven`t heard since. No doubt she`ll have her own version to post.

Now I will have to attack those suitcases and that washing before jet lag takes over.

Thank for all your support and interest. We had a wonderful connection with TP while we were away which made our holiday even more special.

Love to all. xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I hope you are still sleeping Sylvia.
When you have the energy to write but only then, it will be lovely to hear news of your final days.
Until then, just rest and get used to this weird and wonderful world you left a month ago. It must feel very strange. x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A dramatic end to your story but I'm glad you reached home safe and sound.
I had my own problem with a forgotten bottle of sparkling water at Edinburgh airport , it's easily done! I hope the jet lag isn't too bad. At least you had a jet!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Welcome home Sylvia and Helen,
You certainly had an eventful end to your holiday but glad you managed all the hurdles
Good to hear you are both safe and sound and hopefully resting now.
x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome home Sylvia and Helen. Good to know you are safe and well. Can't say we missed you because we were there with you, every step and every Tuk tuk ride you took. Thanks for taking us.

Status
Not open for further replies.