Feeling horrible!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I often wonder if mum "settled" reasonably quickly in her care home because she knew deep down inside I was at breaking point.

She used to talk about me moving near her and we could perhaps buy a pair of semi detached - she would have one house, me the other.

It's taken nearly a year, but Now she asks if I'm moving yet. And when I say not yet, she said, that's alright I quite like it here. I wonder how long I can stay

Another time she asked me if minded if she stayed where she was when I moved but she would come to stay with me for visits.

There again..... Another time she got angry because I hadn't sold my house yet - maybe it's because she wanted to come and visit? :)

Sounds like, hard as it would be for you, it's time for him to stay permanently. xxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So relieved for you. Selfishly it also eases my worries about F going into respite soon. Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I often wonder if mum "settled" reasonably quickly in her care home because she knew deep down inside I was at breaking point.

She used to talk about me moving near her and we could perhaps buy a pair of semi detached - she would have one house, me the other.

It's taken nearly a year, but Now she asks if I'm moving yet. And when I say not yet, she said, that's alright I quite like it here. I wonder how long I can stay

Another time she asked me if minded if she stayed where she was when I moved but she would come to stay with me for visits.

There again..... Another time she got angry because I hadn't sold my house yet - maybe it's because she wanted to come and visit? :)

Sounds like, hard as it would be for you, it's time for him to stay permanently. xxxxx

Ah, well he can't you see! He's in the "respite bed". And, we haven't got funding approval yet. The forms are gone in, but it takes about ten weeks, they told me. And to be honest, it wouldn't be the home I'd want him in permanently, I don't think. It's fine - but (a) it's a bit far for me to be making very regular visits to, and (b) it's a bit too small. There's literally only the one day room - to be honest, I don't know where all the other residents were! They must sit in corridors or something! And they have a lot of high dependency residents, and several with behavioural issues - and it's a small home to have too many issues. William is very quiet - the staff told the CPN that he's an absolute gentleman - so it would be nice if he could have somewhere quiet to sit too if he wanted.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So relieved for you. Selfishly it also eases my worries about F going into respite soon. Thank you.

Nothing selfish about it! I hope it goes as well for you. Do let us all know!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Was over to visit William again this afternoon. He was having his tea - chips & sausage, bread and butter, and a mousse with his meds in. He ate the bread, sausage and the mousse, but he's not a potato fan in any shape or form, so only ate a couple of the chips. They have said his appetite is ok but not great. He was very glad to see me, and after tea we sat in the day room and looked at a book I had brought him on famous gardens - with lots of pictures. And watched people come and go. And another resident came and chatted with him. The other man made as little sense as William, and I suspect was deaf too, so neither one of them could hear a word the other was saying, but they chatted away politely to each other for quite a while, smiling and nodding, and being perfect gentlemen! :)

He is still enjoying himself on his "holiday", and didn't even mention coming home with me. Just waved me off from his chair.:)

I have put my back out! So, I am creaking about slowly and painfully, stuffed full of painkillers, and smothered in anti-inflam gel. And I wasn't doing anything - just went to put something in the washing machine, and found I couldn't move up or down!:eek: So, no more bike rides for a bit! Yesterday I had a family day out with dau and her husband and his 10 year old son. We went bowling, (I'd never bowled before, but found I'm actually brilliant - beat them all hollow, much to their disgust!:D) then to the cinema - The Amazing Spiderman in 3D! :D Then we went to their house and had tacos and watched Fawlty Towers on dvd. A lovely day.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Glad that William seems settled. Pity about the home only being respite... But on the other hand probably fortunate (?Better word needed?) it's only respite if you are not totally happy with it.

If only you lived near where mum is. I could recommend that place quite highly... It's "only" a residential home, but also have challenging, unpredictable and nursing care residents who they seem to be able to keep at the residential home without too much difficulty. Most of the residents appear to be content 80% of the time. The motto seems to be "once you move here, it's your home for life, whatever"

Hope you can find something as good for William xxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Glad to hear William is settled and hope your back is better soon. Must have been the bowling!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Glad to hear William is settled and hope your back is better soon. Must have been the bowling!

Do you know - that hadn't occurred to me! I bet you are right. Bending down with a whacking heavy bowling ball - yes, it probably was the bowling! :( Still - I won!!:D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
How do you pronounce "Bowling"

Am I the the only one who calls it

bowl-ing

My family call it

bow-ling

I call those pastry tea cakes scoans they call them skons

For goodness sake!!! I taught them to talk. They were with me 90% of the time.... But still they can't talk proppa like wot I do :D

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I say boling......as in bow ling.
I say scons not skownes....and I say ptayto and you say pohtahto>....................:rolleyes::rolleyes::D
But is it Vayse, varse or vose as my Dad used to say?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Lady A, William has taken to respite so well, you must feel so relieved. Now take it easier and lay off the excessive exercise for now!!!:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Glad your William seems sort of contented, Lady A.
I hope your shoulder eases too.
I'm glad you have the chance to allow it to recover now that William is in respite.

I say bowling, all together - what's the difference in bowl-ing and bow -ling 2jays?
Or do you mean the accent on the ling instead of the bowl, in which case I put it on the bowl!
I say scon too, but others laugh at me because, coming from Wales, I say tuth, not tooooth (isn't that Liverpudlian as in booook!):D

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I worked in newspapers for years which was a real problem as I say adver -TIS- ment
not advertisement as it should be said. I have a complete brain block with it.

My mum also says "tirty tree" - thirty three.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My mum also says "tirty tree" - thirty three.
Is she Irish? If so, sounds about right.
Don't understand about advertisment.I've never heard anyone say adverTISEment!

Srory, Lady A. We should start another thread on this topic rather than take over your's!

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
I am really pleased that William has settled well in the CH.

I hope you will feel strengthened by your rest for when he returns home. Hope your shoulder will be better soon too.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Eye arm sore re: two 'ear about yore saw shoal deiu.

S'nice two ere that Double You is sought of come fort able inn hiss temper rare re: plaice of re: spite.

Beau-ling? Eye own lee go four the bier. Mai bawls fall in t'gutter, with owt the side zup.

How pew key pun halfing a peas full thyme. x

Butt her...all anger goo age she pro moat ted, that eye four one, a door, hand miss. :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Is she Irish? If so, sounds about right.
Don't understand about advertisment.I've never heard anyone say adverTISEment!

Srory, Lady A. We should start another thread on this topic rather than take over your's!

Oh dear I always get corrected by my children for saying advertisement, instead of advertisment, I might be right after all :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Garnuft. Very clever. Took me a while to work it out!

We kept that up for pages on a thread in the Tea Room one time! Very good for the brain cells!

Eye two fish but her wood comb act oo deaf or rum Garnuft!:D

Saffie, I'm Irish, but I don't say tirty tree! It depends on the regional accent. Which are legion! Just within our local city, (although in recent years they are getting a bit more mixed, as the population moves around more) there used to be at least four distinct local accents, depending on which area of the city you came from - and that's a very small city.

PS. It's actually not my shoulder that got hurt - it's my lower back. Jolly good thing William is in respite this week too - there's no way I'd be able for dressing him! Thankfully, I have a wonderful son in law, who does gardening work, and who came with his crew tonight and you should see my garden! It would have been a week's work for me even if I hadn't hurt my back - trimmed and strimmed to within an inch of it's life! :)

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Oh dear I always get corrected by my children for saying advertisement, instead of advertisment, I might be right after all :)

Well not according to the Chambers dictionary. That says definitely pronounced with "tis" as opposed to "tise.
But you just keep saying what you like Jeany!

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point mobile app