Personal Carer support / dementia coach?

GFoxcroft1

Apr 30, 2024
My dad has vascular dementia, with my mum as his sole carer and my sister and I doing what we can.

We have carer’s who come in and get him up/put him to bed but my mum is blown away by the lack of individual support, and wishes there was someone there who she could meet with on a monthly basis to discuss my dad and how he was, what to expect from the phase he’s in etc.

Does this kind of thing exist?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hella @GFoxcroft1 , sadly this kind of thing is rare and depends on the local area. Social services don’t offer this and most GP surgeries are not really interested. However , if there is a carers centre in your mums area then she should be able to meet up with other carers and compare notes. Some also run information sessions for carers on their rights, what to expect , how to look after themselves.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Have you admiral nurses in your area? Your GP would know ….they might be able to do something like this….

Is your mum able to access here? This I feel can sometimes be like group coaching!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There might be a dementia hub nearby.
If so there is usually support for the carer there too. Unfortunately hubs aren't in all areas, but worth checking

GFoxcroft1

Apr 30, 2024
Thank you all! We’ll ring admiral tomorrow.
I almost feel like there needs to be a buddying system - those who’ve cared for someone paired with current carers!