advice please

Mr.A

Jun 5, 2021
You need to assess what and why you are ironing. I don't iron at all and not ashamed to say so. Things like underclothes; what's the point; nobody sees them. Bedding; You iron them, put them on the bed and then crease them as soon as you get in. I try to buy clothes now that don't require ironing. Dress shirts I take to the local dry cleaners who wash and iron them and do a good job. I know that ladies have blouses etc. that do need ironing to stay smart but this could be all that is needed. Try to keep it to a minimum and don't iron unnecessarily.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
You need to assess what and why you are ironing. I don't iron at all and not ashamed to say so. Things like underclothes; what's the point; nobody sees them. Bedding; You iron them, put them on the bed and then crease them as soon as you get in. I try to buy clothes now that don't require ironing. Dress shirts I take to the local dry cleaners who wash and iron them and do a good job. I know that ladies have blouses etc. that do need ironing to stay smart but this could be all that is needed. Try to keep it to a minimum and don't iron unnecessarily.
believe me my iron and ironing board dont see the light of day other than very rare occasions like his shirt and trousers when the mayoress officially opened the men shed. if you hang them properly the creases fall out. i had too many years of 4 sets of school uniform. never do bedding etc. why add to the work.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I think it’s a guilt and generation thing - I remember my Mum saying once (with pride), “I always ironed your father’s underpants “. She seemed to think that in some way it made her a better wife/person. ! She also always judged everyone by how smart they looked and the job they had. A solicitor was automatically a better person than a plumber for example. This despite the fact my father was a tradesman in the steelworks. Scrubbing your doorstep weekly was also important!!!! ???

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Scrubbing your doorstep weekly was also important!!!!
And finished with a decorative border using a Donkey Stone from Rag'N'Bone man.
Although only used aesthetically original use was to provide a non slip surface on greasy stone stairs in mills.
7D29074C-77AC-4B09-9863-64D53B267ACF-507x600.jpeg

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Ah the Donkey Stone! My mother told me it was her job to donkey stone the front step when she was young. I'll be honest - I never really understood why anyone would do that and still don't!

Re. prescriptions, etc, for about 3 years now I've been getting periodic text messages from the chemist sayng, 'Paula, we have your prescription.' Trouble is, I am not Paula! I get texts for my own meds, correctly addressed to me but also ones for this mysterious Paula. I've spoken to the chemist at least 3 times to tell them about this, shown them the messages, etc.... but they say it's not possible under their system - when they look up the patient with that number it comes up correctly as me, so they are mystified. Yet here we are.... Sorry Paula!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im a bit young for my mum to have donkey stone her step. if mum was alive, she would be 75/76yrs. she died when she was 57years. she didnt like ironing and cleaning was a bit haphazard. did wash the milk bottle out. age 7yrs, i had the job of babysitting my sister[5] and to iron my dads jeans for work and they used to go to the pier for dancing, drink etc. i was started early so i figure ive already done enough time behing the ironing board. i used to do 15 shirts for school uniform. i was so glad when they switched to polo shirts by the time the youngest started school. i used to sit down when i was pregnant.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Anyone remember the Cardinal Red used for polishing the terracotta tiles around the fire?
It was a bit like boot polish.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Another memory lane item - a little wire basket on a wire handle to put soap scraps in and waft around in a washing up bowl full of hot water to do the washing up.

Before detergents came along dishes were washed using soap, dreg ends of bars of soap were cheaper than soap flakes. Everything had to be rinsed after washing.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Fortunately, then they invented the television...

(Did people have nothing better to do than this make-work?)
they had the wireless as well for different plays and programs. my husbands mum and dad didnt have electric until the farmer put it in in 1956 so couldnt have a tv until after that. he was brought up on a farm in rural devon in a tied house owned by the farmer so the farmer was responsible for services on his farm. they had paraffin lamps until then as no electric and cooked on a range

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My Mum could never see the point of putting that Cardinal Red on the doorstep and the tiles round the windows as it just peeled off. She liked the natural look of the terracotta tiles.