advice please

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I don't iron my own clothes - I'm very good at smoothing and folding...

However, I sell vintage clothes for a living - mainly sleepwear, slips, etc. I wash and iron each and every one... which would be fine if they were easy-care cotton! Mostly these vintage gowns are nylon + lace with very full skirts. Often they have two layers which need to be pressed separately. It can take more than an hour to iron just one...

Still, it's only another 3 and a half years till I can retire... ?

jzw01

Jun 12, 2021
@nitram What did you do with your sewing machines? We have two that have not been used for about three years and are not sure what to do with them. Is there a market or do we have to give them away.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
can i please draw a line under the discussion of domestics and return it to my thread to be able to express things as and when i need to and for others to contribute to that. the debate has been interesting mainly history lesson for me but has now digressed to a different subject. things like sewing machines can be done on the thread crafty which was set up for that type of thing. its been good to have these memories. i hope im not upsetting anyone.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
ive managed to bounce back up again. i noticed my husband was having problems with his knife and co-ordinating using cutlery together so i suggested the spork[ thank you @canary] he was happy to try it and it has made it easier for him especially with pasta which tends to slide off of a normal fork. im lucky that i can talk to him about trying other things and he tells me my approach that we are open and talk without him feeling less of a person. its preserving his independence and dignity by making things easier for him. im lucky i know that he is open to discussion and what he needs. i know a lot on here havent got that.
#jennifer 1967 I bought a spork but it is more the size of a cake fork. Are you able to get larger ones?

Mr.A

Jun 5, 2021
Have used sporks for many years but just spoon size. However, if it's any help just put `spork` in your search engine; there are numerous adverts etc. on the internet. They all seem to be the same size but you never know. Good luck.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Im sorry for the thread hijack

Are you having a bad time ATM?
just a bit weary. i wake up with a to do list and go to bed with an even bigger one. no different to anyone else i think. it was one thing after another he wanted me to do yesterday. he had his tablets at 9pm then i declared im off duty barring fire or other real emergency.
no need for apologies, i asked him if his mum used any of the things that were mentioned. ive only read it in books

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
funny thing - we had a delivery this morning. loud knock on the door so my husband stood up to get it and i forgotten to put his belt on his shorts. stood up and his shorts were round his ankles so i got it. not very dignified but caused us to giggle.
Just picturing this.

MaNaAk

PS: Hope you're okay today.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Just picturing this.

MaNaAk

PS: Hope you're okay today.
i wouldnt picture it. i usually thread it through his loops but forgot as he was sat down. my stomach is playing up again but enjoyed the peace today. i dont do much when he goes so after a busy few days, it was nice just to relax and do what i wanted to do with the music up loud.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
i wouldnt picture it. i usually thread it through his loops but forgot as he was sat down. my stomach is playing up again but enjoyed the peace today. i dont do much when he goes so after a busy few days, it was nice just to relax and do what i wanted to do with the music up loud.
And so nice to have your choice of music, hope the stomach has settled.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan