Dads in hospital very ill possibly eol

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
It seems to me your main objection to him going in a care home is that he will have to stay in bed. And at home, you feel you'd be able to get him up from bed to chair and back and outside in a wheelchair, etc.

But things are sliding with your poor dad. What if you set everything up at home and he's simply not able to move from his bed any longer or finds it too painful? You've said he's sleeping a lot so will the carers get him into a chair if he's asleep in bed? I can foresee a lot of arguments between you and the carers over what you think they should do and what they think they should do. Who will be 'in charge' - you or them?

Have you thought about the duration of this arrangement? If it was just for a week or two and you were taking dad home for his final days, I'm sure you'd be prepared to put up with any amount of disruption. But how long could you realistically stand it for? A month? Six months? A year?
Hes not now 2 days he was snoozing on chair
In regards to the aurguments then surely a care plan will be put in place as to what time he sleeps , what he eats who does hes meds what happens if he wakes who helps etc etc
Yes thats the reason so he can have some quality of life

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
In regards to the aurguments then surely a care plan will be put in place as to what time he sleeps , what he eats who does hes meds what happens if he wakes who helps etc etc
No, care plans are not quite like that, not that explicit.

Will say he needs double manning
wil say he needs his toiltting needs met
Needs hoisting/standing transfer/whatever
needs food and drink preparing and encouraged to eat.

Etc ec. Wont say WHAT he eats, or when
CANT say whe he sleeps

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hes not now 2 days he was snoozing on chair
Yes thats the reason so he can have some quality of life
he can sleep in between the care hes given. it will say what his needs are and how many carers need to provide that need. they will fit it around the second carers visits so they can manage 2 carers. you really wont have a say in any of it. there will be breaks in between when he can sleep or whatever. say what diet he needs eg soft. but not what to give him. i cant give him care at night with a carer because i dont think you are trained in all aspects of health and safety. they wont risk it and if you get it wrong the carer and your dad could be injured because of it. you will be the daughter and really thats it
sorry @Jessbow i had the same ideas as you.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Ive called carer uk and alzeimers both say as ill be dealing with laundry cooking cleaning assistance ie at night /day suppliarty carer should the carer need to go to loo erc also in between ill be ( hopefully taking my dad out) and drs appointment etc
My dad doesn’t sleep regular hours so could potentially be up all night what if he tried getting out of bed carer x 1 cant deal with it thats why im xtra carer

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
if he tries to get out of his bed and falls then you are going to have to call the ambulance if you couldnt get him up off the floor safely
Ill try and get a careline i think they come to assist with falls
I called 5 nursing homes on list none have vacancies

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
No they dont, All a care line does in the normal sense is , when the person presses it, they contact you to deal with the crisis.
or like us, we pay tiny bit extra and the paramedics will come and pick us and make sure we are alright. we have a keysafe for them to get in. the careline just directs help.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Please dont forgetwhyhe went intocare previously- its not going to getany better and look at what it did to you, trying to look after him.

12 months ago, you were at your witts end, Pulling your hair out- What has changed?

Last edited:

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@deepetshopboy . I understand that you want to care for your dad but every scenario you suggest sounds impossible and I really think you need to take advice from those of us who know what it entails when you live with and care for someone in your fathers condition 24/7.
Maybe you will have overnight carers but believe me that doesn’t mean that you will get a decent night sleep as I found out for myself in my husbands last few weeks.
There were times that they had to wake me just to settle him down etc.
Im not sure if you are male or female and what age you might be but unless you are young and very fit you could soon find yourself burnt out with the stress of it all. I am only just recovering my strength after six months.

I would ask you to please reconsider your position. There are very good reasons that almost every post on this thread tells you not to do it.
Im very sorry if this offends you I certainly don’t mean to. I feel for you and the predicament you are in. Please don’t let this ruin your health. Having carers is never straightforward.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
The hospital should send occupational therapists from the discharge team to the house to assess what equipment is needed and how accessable things are . I think they will find it hard to provide this package of care . If you dad was eol with a very short time expectation I think yes have him home but otherwise have a good think . How is his mobilty now .
Still very much the same he can go from bed to chair with help not hoisted and trying to constantly jump up from chair to walk but cant weight bear
Has to have someone sat with him to prevent him walking and falling ☹️

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
@deepetshopboy . I understand that you want to care for your dad but every scenario you suggest sounds impossible and I really think you need to take advice from those of us who know what it entails when you live with and care for someone in your fathers condition 24/7.
Maybe you will have overnight carers but believe me that doesn’t mean that you will get a decent night sleep as I found out for myself in my husbands last few weeks.
There were times that they had to wake me just to settle him down etc.
Im not sure if you are male or female and what age you might be but unless you are young and very fit you could soon find yourself burnt out with the stress of it all. I am only just recovering my strength after six months.

I would ask you to please reconsider your position. There are very good reasons that almost every post on this thread tells you not to do it.
Im very sorry if this offends you I certainly don’t mean to. I feel for you and the predicament you are in. Please don’t let this ruin your health. Having carers is never straightforward.
No that's ok
I know carers in the home are not great had it previously when i looked after him at hes flat

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'm sorry @deepetshopboy but not only are you going to be under any more stress but your son is also going to be under pressure because he will be very worried about you. If there are no vacancies in a nursing home near you will have to look at ones slightly further afield we are very concerned about you.

MaNaAk

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Yesterday i had a call from the discharge nurse they are not sending my dad home as now they are saying its too risky hes too strong and need to get x 2 carers to sit day n night plus me and it will be too stressful for me i said my dads mobility will or could be a temporary thing
On top of that they are asking the la my dad was in care home /drs for 9 months to fund hes care despite him living in the previous area /social services paying for hes care and had lived in area 32 yrs same area im from hes got no connection to the care home area ( were hes been evicted) at all and is miles away have been told if they fund i wont get a choice 3 homes thats it if they have vacancies
I went around looking at n h on list to ne told why have you botherd as if xxxx authority paying if we get them to pay your dad wont be going there anymore
And i will lose good sw as well
Its just gets worse
Dad had blood test yesterday as well shows infection

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Your fathers last home, whoever and however its was paid for, will be the authority required to pay the bill. irrespective of where he lived before. I really wouldnt worry about who/what authority fiunds it - thats their problem not yours.

They fund- they choose- it really is that simple. And if the best homefor your father that they re paying for happens to be out of your area,so beit- thats just the way it is. His needs are quite high, and not just anywhere will take him. He's not going to sit quietly and be compliant wherever he goes.

I am really quite relieved to read that he isnt coming home- I know thats what you wanted- it would have been impossible, and dangerous to both you and him.

Now that decision is made ,wait & see what evolves, where is proposed. The ball is in their court now, and I imagine things will move fairly fast.

If you have a good social worker....I really dread to think what a bad one would look like!

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
The la ss paid ( with a contribution from my dad) which was in hes old area were he lived but the care home was next area along
Ss were in old area
Now hospital in applying for chc in care home area even though he only lived there 9 months and ss were paying in old atea were he lived for 32 yrs and were hospital is were i live erc

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think you are going to have to let them sort out where they will place your dad. i would have thought that choice would be very limited given the complex needs of your dad. it will probably be better than him being in hospital.