Dads in hospital very ill possibly eol

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Also, what about extra heating/cooling costs…it’s on your gas and electric meter and maybe a water meter ….you will pay for that and it could be quite a substantial sum!!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sorry, your figures MUST be wrong

24 hours in a day x7 days = 168 hours

£2000/168 = £11.90 an hour ....for 2 Carers ( Between them) - no way hosea, never mind a nightime premium

£9.18 is MINIMUM wage. X 168 Hours = £1542 PER CARER per week

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe it would be better if they set it all out on paper, your role, the carers, when, how many, cost, whose paying, expectations of you then when you have all the details, you can make a decision.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
How large is your house? Who will be doing all the washing, cleaning, cooking etc. ? Do the carers buy and cook their own food, where do they sleep, bathe , have rest time off?

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
How large is your house? Who will be doing all the washing, cleaning, cooking etc. ? Do the carers buy and cook their own food, where do they sleep, bathe , have rest time off?
Hi the carers will not be sleeping its waking nights im not meant to provide food to carers
Ive got a small terrace house
With 1 large bedroom which i can turn into a bedroom/living room upstairs for the carers to sit n have a break
Ill be doing all the cleaning/cooking /laundry
As for a rest on a break they will have to go to the bedroom daytime or ive got a small open plan dining room its not ideal

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi the carers will not be sleeping its waking nights im not meant to provide food to carers
Ive got a small terrace house
With 1 large bedroom which i can turn into a bedroom/living room upstairs for the carers to sit n have a break
Ill be doing all the cleaning/cooking /laundry
As for a rest on a break they will have to go to the bedroom daytime or ive got a small open plan dining room its not ideal
still sounds like a lot for you to do. if he was placed in a nursing home, they would do it all and you could visit and not have the worry of almost looking after the carers as well

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you have him home, will you be managing the 2k a week, or will SS?

What are the advantages of having him home, rather han in care?

Practicalities: Do you hav a downstairs bathroom, and level acess shower?

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I have never heard of a LA providing such a large package of care at home. It is cheaper to provide care in a nursing home as carers can look after more than one client. I would be a bit suspicious about this. Get a written care plan.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
If you have him home, will you be managing the 2k a week, or will SS?

What are the advantages of having him home, rather han in care?

Practicalities: Do you hav a downstairs bathroom, and level acess shower?
So chc or ss will pay with a contribution from my dad approx 155 pw
I feel he will have a better quality of life i can ( potentialy) take him out in a wheelchair
In nursing home he might not even be allowed out of the bed ! Let alone a chair or wheelchair

He can decide what time he wants to eat or tv or what time he wants to sleep
I dont have to book to see him or take lft i can see what care he’s getting it will be all about him not 1x carer to 8 people frazzled out i can deal directly with dr on hes behalf couldnt before as dr with care home refused to spk to me and said why would i bother deal with care home let them deal with it had issues with dad in care home with residents picking on him n if he relented ie hit them he was getting the blame

No bathroom or toilet or shower all upstairs small victorian cottage tiny kitchen open plan living room no separate doors then straight up staircase to 2 bedroom n bathroom small garden but concrete stairs x 3 n step down to get in from narrow hall

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I have never heard of a LA providing such a large package of care at home. It is cheaper to provide care in a nursing home as carers can look after more than one client. I would be a bit suspicious about this. Get a written care plan.
Its not la it will be chc
I think if he comes home
If nursing home £1700 pw plus £1200 pw carers agency 1.1 falls risk
La paid £1200 care home fees till feb
£1200 pw for carers as well in care home 1.1
£2400 pw la paid

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I think it’s too much responsibility for you and in a physical environment which is not ideal. A care home is surely better for all.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
No bathroom or toilet or shower all upstairs small victorian cottage tiny kitchen open plan living room no separate doors then straight up staircase to 2 bedroom n bathroom small garden but concrete stairs x 3 n step down to get in from narrow hall
Is this possible to navigate with a wheelchair?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
so basically he'll take over your entire home, You'll be leftwith a bedroom.
How will he be bathed/Showered?

he wont get to choose when to eat- he'll have to have his meals when the carers come to do them, likewise pad changes, getting up etc etc.

How many people traiping about in your house everyday?
my neighbour has imilar care because she has profound learning disabilites
2 carers arrive at 7.30 am, stay until 5.30
2 more 5.30-10pm
1 more 10pm- 7.30am waking nights
Then there are district nurses & etcs randomly

so thats 5, then you say additional carers calls- 4 times a day? thats mybe 9 people a day...and possibly 9 different ones tommorow,and different again the day after, from a practical point of view , is there anywhere for themall to park?

Do you have space for things like a hoist? Room to use it and to store it? You may not need on now, but its only a matter of time before you do if he does end up non weightbearing

Just one more thing- sounds rediculous but........ If there was a fire, could you get him out fairly quickly and easily?

Last edited:

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
so basically he'll take over your entire home, You'll be leftwith a bedroom.
How will he be bathed/Showered?

he wont get to choose when to eat- he'll have to have his meals when the carers come to do them, likewise pad changes, getting up etc etc

Do you have space for things like a hoist? Room to use it and to store it? You may not need on now, but its only a matter of time before you do if he does end up non weightbearing

Just one more thing- sounds rediculous but........ If there was a fire, could you get him out fairly quickly and easily?
Yes could as have a garden off the living off
The hoist would have to be stored in the corner n yes the entire ground floor would have to be taken over most properly
Theres a shower over a bath but presently wouldn’t be able to use it as upstairs and tbh dad only had a shower once every 2 months in care home as didnt want them or wasnt offred so he will have to have a bed wash

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
2 more 5.30-10pm

so thats 5, then you say additional carers calls- 4 times a day? thats mybe 9 people a day...and possibly 9 different ones tommorow,and different again the day after, from a practical point of view , is there anywhere for themall to park?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
On the other hand, if you don’t have him where do they plan to send your dad? I think you are in London? They could send him anywhere involving difficulty and expense in travel.
Do you work? Can you afford to have him in your home ? Difficult decision with no right or wrong, only what is manageable for you.
Like others have said, I would check the care plan closely to see what they are providing and what you would be expected to do!

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
2 more 5.30-10pm

So will be 1 coming approx 8 am to 8 pm ?
Then on top of that another approx 9/10 am hoisting etc
Then another afternoon approx 3 pm
Then another 7 /8 pm
Then another carer waking nights
Appox 5 different carers
At some point if my dads mobility better might be able to drop waking nights n 3 calls at day to no waking nights just a alarm n crash mat n just 1 or 2 calls plus the day carer
There will be pysio as well maybe once a wk
No were to park only pay n display
Central London

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
On the other hand, if you don’t have him where do they plan to send your dad? I think you are in London? They could send him anywhere involving difficulty and expense in travel.
Do you work? Can you afford to have him in your home ? Difficult decision with no right or wrong, only what is manageable for you.
Like others have said, I would check the care plan closely to see what they are providing and what you would be expected to do!
Dont know given me a list all places nursing homes ( not just dementia) not local but okish to travel but if not gojng there will be placed miles out
Yrs London
Central
and most are full
Having difficulty even viewing as saying oh speak to manager
We dont have places
Waiting list etc etc
Then i need to find out if they are willing to allow him out of bed
Do pysio and try a wheelchair to take him out to garden etc

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Dont work
Was signed off as sick with anxiety depression /colitis which i had for yrs when my dad went to care home had a breakdown

would be 2 nd carer to excisting 1.1 carer ie to cover breaks erc
Im hoping id get carers allowance?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorisimo