Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Greetings! Today the lady who said I am the most boring person in the world said I am very very kind, she sees what I do and thinks I should interview for the job of Princess Margaret. Suits me! Keith not as lively as yesterday but bounced around when I sang Rawhide. Rawhide I have to say is the most popular of my offering, although Those were the days went down quite well today.
One of the residents called me over and whispered in my ear that she could swear in French and could I? I said no, but I can in German. She now wants me to teach her. Ethical dilemma!!
On a sadder note, I left with one of the other visitors who asked me how I can stand it, coming so often, joining in when Keith doesn't really know me. What do you say, guys? I said, yes but I really know him ... But yes, I know the visitor was really only expressing his own distress at his mum not recognising him any more. Somehow we have to stay above the sadness, don't we. Somehow. with love, Geraldine, aka kindred and thank you. xxxxx
Princess Margaret??? Erm no, not her!!! Definitely not her. I hope the resident who would like you to teach her German swear words forgets her request!!! I wish the visitor hasn't made that remark but yes, I too think he was expressing his own distress. The thing is Keith DOES know you. A little thoughtless really but most likely not intentional. As always G, an insightful and interesting post. So, Thank You Princess Geraldine!! Love J xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Princess Margaret??? Erm no, not her!!! Definitely not her. I hope the resident who would like you to teach her German swear words forgets her request!!! I wish the visitor hasn't made that remark but yes, I too think he was expressing his own distress. The thing is Keith DOES know you. A little thoughtless really but most likely not intentional. As always G, an insightful and interesting post. So, Thank You Princess Geraldine!! Love J xxxx
Well no, wasn't Princess M hooked on smoking and the like? Anyway, I should have said she did actually swear in French (the resident, not Princess M) and it was very mild but I looked suitably shocked and said I would have to have a cup of tea to recover. Oh yes, she will have forgotten tomorrow. No, the visitor wasn't being unkind, he just wanted to talk about his feelings, which he did, poor man. Thank you and so so good to hear from you, Jan. all love, Geraldine xxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Well no, wasn't Princess M hooked on smoking and the like? Anyway, I should have said she did actually swear in French (the resident, not Princess M) and it was very mild but I looked suitably shocked and said I would have to have a cup of tea to recover. Oh yes, she will have forgotten tomorrow. No, the visitor wasn't being unkind, he just wanted to talk about his feelings, which he did, poor man. Thank you and so so good to hear from you, Jan. all love, Geraldine xxxx
Hooked on a lot of things G! My cousin met her and said how horribly rude she was. Take care. Love J xxxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Geraldine @kindred
Glad you had a good visit today. Well done for rising above the other visitor's sadness. Of course Keith knows you!! And you him, naturally :)
Re working life.....psychotherapy was the one that got away, for me. In my early days as a probation officer, they seconded me on to a full year course at the Tavistock, Which would have given me a good grounding. I was thrilled, you can imagine :) However.....a few weeks later I had to tell my supervisor that I was pregnant, and she said she had no option but to remove my name from the secondment. That was public service in the 70's for you.....great benefits, but commitment had to be total.
I've never again had the opportunity, but the 'yen' for it has never quite left me. I did spend a year as a family conciliator at one point, and have a teaching qualification that enabled me to train social workers. Have done lots of things really....started off in the early 70's in race relations, that was interesting too.
Anyhow.....am now mainly mum's carer and grandson's devoted 'nanny'. Would still like to get some part time work somewhere, though......
All the best Geraldine, always good to read your posts.
Love
Lindy xx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Always such interesting posts Geraldine, I look forward to them.

One day..... yes, one day you should write a diary type book. I’m not sure who your writing reminds me of.... Adrian Mole comes to mind but I know that is probably wholly inappropriate .

Geraldine, please tell me you will wear a tiara for tomorrow’s visit. I would be very touched if anyone thought I looked regal and gorgeous, and yes young enough to interview for the role of Princess Margaret. What a compliment! Very well deserved.

I can swear extremely well in sign language.... the first thing I was taught by the deaf people I worked with. In truth they taught me signs that I would repeat, not knowing what they really meant, at great amusement by the deaf community. It did of course get me into trouble!
Have a good evening.... love B xx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Wow! What a thread ...
Princess Margaret - swearing in all languages including 'sign' - never a dull moment here. I cannot keep away ...
@Lindy50 mentioning Tavistock, nudged my memory of the years I worked at the British Medical Assoc in Tavistock Sq. It was there that I read in a doctors' mag a really funny and extremely rude story about Princess Margaret and a certain hospital visit. Sadly I think it may be a bit too rude to recount here ..... (I don't want to be asked to leave) but it is really funny and has earned my place at many a dinner party!
I am well impressed at @Sad Staffs being able to swear in sign and @kindred 's German ability in profanity.
I will add my contribution that I know quite a few swear words in Indonesian as I was an expat there for some years. But although I spent a considerable time in the Middle East too, I was a good girl and picked up no rude words (but thought plenty)!

Of course Keith knows exactly how important you are to him and how good you make him feel. Sad that other visitor is finding things hard. My career-slave daughter visits Mum on a Saturday, and was shocked that one of the carers asked if she was uncomfortable and found sitting at the lunch table with Mum and other residents 'difficult'. Daughter said 'not in the slightest'. Mum's table manners may be far from finishing school standard now, but IF she will eat, we really don't care 2 hoots how she does it!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Love xx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Sorry @kindred - me again. BUTTONS! I loved your mention of the button pies. I thought I was the only one that was slightly dippy about buttons.
When Mum was living independently, I made her a button bouquet. She loved it.
For the last few years I have made a small handmade Xmas gift for each member of the WI I belong to. As you love buttons too, I thought you might like to see the 'Button-y Offering' that I have in production for them this year ..

upload_2018-8-10_20-13-4.png

XX

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi Geraldine @kindred
Glad you had a good visit today. Well done for rising above the other visitor's sadness. Of course Keith knows you!! And you him, naturally :)
Re working life.....psychotherapy was the one that got away, for me. In my early days as a probation officer, they seconded me on to a full year course at the Tavistock, Which would have given me a good grounding. I was thrilled, you can imagine :) However.....a few weeks later I had to tell my supervisor that I was pregnant, and she said she had no option but to remove my name from the secondment. That was public service in the 70's for you.....great benefits, but commitment had to be total.
I've never again had the opportunity, but the 'yen' for it has never quite left me. I did spend a year as a family conciliator at one point, and have a teaching qualification that enabled me to train social workers. Have done lots of things really....started off in the early 70's in race relations, that was interesting too.
Anyhow.....am now mainly mum's carer and grandson's devoted 'nanny'. Would still like to get some part time work somewhere, though......
All the best Geraldine, always good to read your posts.
Love
Lindy xx
Oh my dear what an interesting, well gripping working life. Congratulations. Yes, indeed, no quarter given for pregnancy, I remember that well. And you started off in race relations! How good is all this. And now, hard but honourable occupations and beloved grandson. So good to read this, thank you with all heart. Love and best, Geraldinexxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Always such interesting posts Geraldine, I look forward to them.

One day..... yes, one day you should write a diary type book. I’m not sure who your writing reminds me of.... Adrian Mole comes to mind but I know that is probably wholly inappropriate .

Geraldine, please tell me you will wear a tiara for tomorrow’s visit. I would be very touched if anyone thought I looked regal and gorgeous, and yes young enough to interview for the role of Princess Margaret. What a compliment! Very well deserved.

I can swear extremely well in sign language.... the first thing I was taught by the deaf people I worked with. In truth they taught me signs that I would repeat, not knowing what they really meant, at great amusement by the deaf community. It did of course get me into trouble!
Have a good evening.... love B xx
My darling girl, swearing in sign language, Oh I love it!! I do also love Adrian Mole, especially the capuccino years. (cannot spell). Yes, a tiara. there are lots in the dressing up box at Keith's home. Along with policemans helmet and the like. More anon, I shall report ... with love and thank you! Geraldine aka kindred! xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Wow! What a thread ...
Princess Margaret - swearing in all languages including 'sign' - never a dull moment here. I cannot keep away ...
@Lindy50 mentioning Tavistock, nudged my memory of the years I worked at the British Medical Assoc in Tavistock Sq. It was there that I read in a doctors' mag a really funny and extremely rude story about Princess Margaret and a certain hospital visit. Sadly I think it may be a bit too rude to recount here ..... (I don't want to be asked to leave) but it is really funny and has earned my place at many a dinner party!
I am well impressed at @Sad Staffs being able to swear in sign and @kindred 's German ability in profanity.
I will add my contribution that I know quite a few swear words in Indonesian as I was an expat there for some years. But although I spent a considerable time in the Middle East too, I was a good girl and picked up no rude words (but thought plenty)!

Of course Keith knows exactly how important you are to him and how good you make him feel. Sad that other visitor is finding things hard. My career-slave daughter visits Mum on a Saturday, and was shocked that one of the carers asked if she was uncomfortable and found sitting at the lunch table with Mum and other residents 'difficult'. Daughter said 'not in the slightest'. Mum's table manners may be far from finishing school standard now, but IF she will eat, we really don't care 2 hoots how she does it!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Love xx
Well exactly! Priorities, all that matters is she eats. Good for your daughter. OO these memories of the Tavistock. When I trained I had a Tavistock supervisor and she was brilliant. So out of the box. And we are all EXTREMELY INTRIGUED about this story about Princess Margaret. Thank you for your beautiful words about Keith, so lovely. Thank you so much, with love and best, Geraldinexxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Sorry @kindred - me again. BUTTONS! I loved your mention of the button pies. I thought I was the only one that was slightly dippy about buttons.
When Mum was living independently, I made her a button bouquet. She loved it.
For the last few years I have made a small handmade Xmas gift for each member of the WI I belong to. As you love buttons too, I thought you might like to see the 'Button-y Offering' that I have in production for them this year ..

View attachment 59750

XX
Oh my dear, fantastic, fantastic. A button pie friend! Thank you so very much. Gxxxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Back again. Interesting. Keith was quiet to begin with then sort of warmed up after my eighteenth chorus of Rawhide and Lily Pink and he started to tell me everything was my fault because I left one of my sandals on the beach. So I asked him to tell me how this means everything is my fault? and he replies wearily, I don't remember ..so guys, I am responsible for everything for leaving a sandal on the beach. Explanations on a postcard please!
Put tiara on but the nice lady who tells me I am most boring person in the world and should interview for Princess Margaret asked me why I was being so daft and soft in the head ...
Did a microphone chorus of Those were the days ... good that. A couple of residents were sniffy and said they only liked classical music so I could, if I did not have a bad hip, do a good impression of a dying swan ...
I have a new custom now. I take a pack of sandwiches in with me so I can eat while I feed Keith. I cannot risk being seen sneaking the odd mouthful of his meat pie. Shame that but integrity wins out.
Quiet but nice atmosphere, and nothing like so hot. Some of the residents were actually cold and asked for their jackets. Much more calming though.
When I left, Keith gave me such lovely smile, so job done!
Thanks guys. Back on Monday as do not go in tomorrow if can discipline self to keep away.
all love, I so appreciate you reading this. Geraldine aka kindred.xxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Back again. Interesting. Keith was quiet to begin with then sort of warmed up after my eighteenth chorus of Rawhide and Lily Pink and he started to tell me everything was my fault because I left one of my sandals on the beach. So I asked him to tell me how this means everything is my fault? and he replies wearily, I don't remember ..so guys, I am responsible for everything for leaving a sandal on the beach. Explanations on a postcard please!
Put tiara on but the nice lady who tells me I am most boring person in the world and should interview for Princess Margaret asked me why I was being so daft and soft in the head ...
Did a microphone chorus of Those were the days ... good that. A couple of residents were sniffy and said they only liked classical music so I could, if I did not have a bad hip, do a good impression of a dying swan ...
I have a new custom now. I take a pack of sandwiches in with me so I can eat while I feed Keith. I cannot risk being seen sneaking the odd mouthful of his meat pie. Shame that but integrity wins out.
Quiet but nice atmosphere, and nothing like so hot. Some of the residents were actually cold and asked for their jackets. Much more calming though.
When I left, Keith gave me such lovely smile, so job done!
Thanks guys. Back on Monday as do not go in tomorrow if can discipline self to keep away.
all love, I so appreciate you reading this. Geraldine aka kindred.xxxxx
Well G, you really could write a book couldn't you!!! You put in all this work only to be told by a resident you are daft and soft in the head and if that's not bad enough you are a bad 'un for leaving your sandal on the beach. My theory is having only one sandal slowed you down, therefore making you and Keith late for his latest building project. There, all explained! Anything is possible in our world of Dementia. I hope you had plenty of tea because all that singing was a bit much - have you any voice left??? Thank you for this great post and for making me smile! Much Love, Jan xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well G, you really could write a book couldn't you!!! You put in all this work only to be told by a resident you are daft and soft in the head and if that's not bad enough you are a bad 'un for leaving your sandal on the beach. My theory is having only one sandal slowed you down, therefore making you and Keith late for his latest building project. There, all explained! Anything is possible in our world of Dementia. I hope you had plenty of tea because all that singing was a bit much - have you any voice left??? Thank you for this great post and for making me smile! Much Love, Jan xxx
Oh thank YOU. I keep going because of the kind of encouragement you and others give me when I post. It makes all the difference. I think your theory is grand! with love and thanks, Geraldine aka kindred.xxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Geraldine, I think you left your sandal for Keith, your Prince Charming. What or who else?
Yes, Glad my suggestion of Adrian Mole wasn’t offensive. But your diary entries are so readable.... love them.
All the talk about sand and sea has made me yearn for a walk on the beach. We are in Staffordshire, so cant just pop to the coast. I doubt I will get to see or feel the beach between my toes at least not until I’m on my own, and that doesn’t bear thinking about.
I bet you looked royal and regal in your tiara, a lot like Princess Margaret, but I still need to know the juicy gossip that @Toony Oony refers to, who needs to spill the beans and not keep us all in suspense!
What wonderful button bouquets @Toony Oony. I am so impressed. Although I did think they were edible when I saw them.
Love reading all these posts. Thanks everyone for keeping me sane and making me feel included and not alone.
Love xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh thank you so very very much. I only work two long days (7 - 2) and see Keith afterwards. That's when it has to be an afternoon. Otherwise I can go earlier. Barbara, it seems to me the only way, to enter into the life of the home, be one of the team caring. It's an effective way to combat the sadness of the situation. And thank you so very much for what you said, means the world to me. with love, Geraldinexxxx
How wise, going with the flow instead of against it. Like in the song Row Row Row your boat.
I tried going against it today and nearly flooded my boat. Going against my own advice too!

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Geraldine, I think you left your sandal for Keith, your Prince Charming. What or who else?
Yes, Glad my suggestion of Adrian Mole wasn’t offensive. But your diary entries are so readable.... love them.
All the talk about sand and sea has made me yearn for a walk on the beach. We are in Staffordshire, so cant just pop to the coast. I doubt I will get to see or feel the beach between my toes at least not until I’m on my own, and that doesn’t bear thinking about.
I bet you looked royal and regal in your tiara, a lot like Princess Margaret, but I still need to know the juicy gossip that @Toony Oony refers to, who needs to spill the beans and not keep us all in suspense!
What wonderful button bouquets @Toony Oony. I am so impressed. Although I did think they were edible when I saw them.
Love reading all these posts. Thanks everyone for keeping me sane and making me feel included and not alone.
Love xx
I don't think I will see the sea till I'm on my own either, haven't been away for nearly 3 years, taking OH and the dog plus the luggage on the train doesn't bare thinking about.:(. Lx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Who knows - maybe one day we could arrange to meet up somewhere we could all reach. We are so widely spread but you never know!! :rolleyes: x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Love xx
Well now, thank you! Listen, about this sea and sand lark. I am not one for apps and things on technology BUT one of the activity nurses has this app on her ipad and it's sand on a beach and you can doodle on it with finger and make patterns on sand and then press button and the sea washes it away. Residents love it. So do I but I'm not letting on ... Onwards, wild weather here ... rain, storms, wind ... what's going on? Gxxxxxx