Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Small things mean a lot these days, don't they.
Thank you, I think that the small things are actually the big things. Not just because of Keith, but as a result of a long time as a psychotherapist, helping people make meaning. It's always the small things ... that's comforting isn't it. So good to hear from you, especially with what you said. Thank you. Gxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I don't understand why but it suddenly seems really important to me to say how much I wish SWs or GP or someone had said to me that it's fine to care for someone beloved with dementia as long as you can, and then a nursing home is a healthy progression. It would have taken so much stress and fear away. Thanks guys, needed to say that. Gxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you, I think that the small things are actually the big things. Not just because of Keith, but as a result of a long time as a psychotherapist, helping people make meaning. It's always the small things ... that's comforting isn't it. So good to hear from you, especially with what you said. Thank you. Gxx
I think it is very hard for people in general. You have a caring background, I too have a background dealing with people who needed a helping hand and listening ear. It does give us a knowledge base, of course it does not stop our emotional pain, that catches unawares, the lack of energy etc. etc. I am grateful for my past experience, I am not saying it makes it all easier just different. Very good to hear from you too. AliceA xxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I don't understand why but it suddenly seems really important to me to say how much I wish SWs or GP or someone had said to me that it's fine to care for someone beloved with dementia as long as you can, and then a nursing home is a healthy progression. It would have taken so much stress and fear away. Thanks guys, needed to say that. Gxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I think it has always been the same, my mother and aunt were made to feel very guilty by the professionals, some 50 to 60 years ago.
Care has always been a problem never fully addressed. X

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I think it is very hard for people in general. You have a caring background, I too have a background dealing with people who needed a helping hand and listening ear. It does give us a knowledge base, of course it does not stop our emotional pain, that catches unawares, the lack of energy etc. etc. I am grateful for my past experience, I am not saying it makes it all easier just different. Very good to hear from you too. AliceA xxx
Alice, thank you so much. This is true, caring has never been properly addressed. It does, as you say make it different. Thank you for being here. Geraldinexxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well, that was interesting. Noisy, full of shouting. This happens sometimes and it affects other residents quite badly. Keith hates it so I sat close and tried to explain to him that the residents concerned were simply upset about something, so shall we sing so we can't hear it ...
And we did, Out of nowhere came the song Rawhide. I wonder how many of you remember this, and the tv series which, I think, could be mistaken, launched Clint Eastwood? Anyway, the song proved a great success, Keith bouncing up and down, so off I went to sing it to some of the other residents. One man got very perky and happy and we had a good conversation about the programme. I have no idea where that came from but certainly got a good response.
Then, while was feeding at lunchtime, on one of the endless music loops came a song I also have not heard since childhood: wild in the country. Name of an Elvis movie and a lovely song. Has anyone else ever heard this, I always loved the song. Movie not wonderful, but there, it's Elvis, the king.
Keith looked so nice this morning, all clean and fresh and handsome. He was talking engineering this morning and the importance of steam propulsion.
Thanks guys, tell me if you remember wild in the country?? with love, Kindred.xxxx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Well, that was interesting. Noisy, full of shouting. This happens sometimes and it affects other residents quite badly. Keith hates it so I sat close and tried to explain to him that the residents concerned were simply upset about something, so shall we sing so we can't hear it ...
And we did, Out of nowhere came the song Rawhide. I wonder how many of you remember this, and the tv series which, I think, could be mistaken, launched Clint Eastwood? Anyway, the song proved a great success, Keith bouncing up and down, so off I went to sing it to some of the other residents. One man got very perky and happy and we had a good conversation about the programme. I have no idea where that came from but certainly got a good response.
Then, while was feeding at lunchtime, on one of the endless music loops came a song I also have not heard since childhood: wild in the country. Name of an Elvis movie and a lovely song. Has anyone else ever heard this, I always loved the song. Movie not wonderful, but there, it's Elvis, the king.
Keith looked so nice this morning, all clean and fresh and handsome. He was talking engineering this morning and the importance of steam propulsion.
Thanks guys, tell me if you remember wild in the country?? with love, Kindred.xxxx
I remember Rawhide very well, loved Clint! I don’t remember wild in the country. We are on a nostalgia kick these days and today I found two old videos of our old home and garden which I had posted on YouTube which he absolutely loved. He had started off saying why did we sell it, but after the video he did actually realise that he wouldn’t be able to look after it at all. Happy and sad simultaneously. So glad to see that you are getting a great deal out of your life after your tough times, hugs (-:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I remember Rawhide very well, loved Clint! I don’t remember wild in the country. We are on a nostalgia kick these days and today I found two old videos of our old home and garden which I had posted on YouTube which he absolutely loved. He had started off saying why did we sell it, but after the video he did actually realise that he wouldn’t be able to look after it at all. Happy and sad simultaneously. So glad to see that you are getting a great deal out of your life after your tough times, hugs (-:
Oh lovely, thank you so much. I'm glad you remember Clint. No, I have NEVER met anyone who remembers wild in the country. Perhaps I made it up or dreamed it!!! Loved you posting videos of your garden on u tube. I think happy and sad together says so much about our situations. Thank you! love and best, Geraldinexx

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Okay Geraldine, no thanks to you I now have an ear worm (song stuck in my head) and it's Rawhide. But I only know one word: Rawhide! And the horses galloping!? I don't know that Elvis song either although I was a big fan. First thought of his song and movie was Viva Las Vegas with Ann Margaret.
I've been listening to my iPod on my car radio all the time now. Unfortunately, every night while asleep, one of the songs creeps into my dreams. I will awaken and have to deal with song lyrics while I try to go back to sleep. I'm seriously thinking of driving in complete silence so that bothersome issue will hopefully stop.
This morning, though, I'm stuck on Rawhide.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Okay Geraldine, no thanks to you I now have an ear worm (song stuck in my head) and it's Rawhide. But I only know one word: Rawhide! And the horses galloping!? I don't know that Elvis song either although I was a big fan. First thought of his song and movie was Viva Las Vegas with Ann Margaret.
I've been listening to my iPod on my car radio all the time now. Unfortunately, every night while asleep, one of the songs creeps into my dreams. I will awaken and have to deal with song lyrics while I try to go back to sleep. I'm seriously thinking of driving in complete silence so that bothersome issue will hopefully stop.
This morning, though, I'm stuck on Rawhide.
Ooops I am so so sorry! It's ever so catchy, isnt it. Its something like rolling rolling rolling, keep those ?? doggies rolling, etc. Must look up the lyrics! Went down well though. Gxxxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I do remember Rawhide, and the tune is rolling round my brain... I won’t sing it as I am tone deaf, but in my head I have a lovely voice, but even I know it’s bad!
What about Sugarfoot? He always reminded me of Adam Faith who I was madly in love with...... once upon a time .... xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I do remember Rawhide, and the tune is rolling round my brain... I won’t sing it as I am tone deaf, but in my head I have a lovely voice, but even I know it’s bad!
What about Sugarfoot? He always reminded me of Adam Faith who I was madly in love with...... once upon a time .... xx
Oh yes about sugar foot!! Adam Faith gorgeous! Apparently Wild in the Country dates to 1961.
Lovely to hear from you! Gxxxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
G...
This is like all our yesterdays...
I’ve got She was only 16, and Here Comes Summer going on in my head now!
Well... it makes a lovely change from being told to p... off! We are having a quiet 10 minutes.... now breathe, and relax...
B xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
G...
This is like all our yesterdays...
I’ve got She was only 16, and Here Comes Summer going on in my head now!
Well... it makes a lovely change from being told to p... off! We are having a quiet 10 minutes.... now breathe, and relax...
B xx
Oh wonderful, here comes summer! She was only 16!! remember them so very well. I think and hope that this kind of music/song is going to replace blasted daisy daisy in nursing homes from now on! Lovely to hear from you. Gxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I’d sing them to you G.... but I really think you might regret it.
I’m sure you are the same, but I have all my favourite songs on my tiny iPod and I listen to them almost every night before going to sleep. Always cry buckets, lie with a tissue across my eyes (must look like Zorro) but it gets the woes of the day out of my system. I wake up, iPod on floor turned off, but never remember doing it! Ready to begin another day...
And off we go on this merry go round again xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I’d sing them to you G.... but I really think you might regret it.
I’m sure you are the same, but I have all my favourite songs on my tiny iPod and I listen to them almost every night before going to sleep. Always cry buckets, lie with a tissue across my eyes (must look like Zorro) but it gets the woes of the day out of my system. I wake up, iPod on floor turned off, but never remember doing it! Ready to begin another day...
And off we go on this merry go round again xx
Oh darling, I know. I can't bear music at home because it will make me so emotional. All my fellow feeling to you. This merry go round.
I look back at the diaries I kept during those years when I was caring at home. Every day I'm trying to find meaning, like saying It's an honourable occupation, what else would you do with your life? Care for him like he cared for you etc etc. Going alongside sentences referring to the whole thing as a torment and an ordeal and when will my release papers come through ... (excuse change of font). Absolutely, a merry go round. So good to hear from you. With all love and best, Geraldinexxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just back guys. Not as noisy as yesterday, thank heavens, although a seated dance company has just arrived! I make sure Keith is well away from this as he just doesn't like the noise or the activities. Staff tell me he was talkative this morning, as usual, but by the time I got there after work, he'd shot his bolt! While I was there, there was a lovely activity about colours and things that go together. Trying to elicit the colours of the rainbow was rewarding, and folk put forward anything they could see that was red or orange etc. (These activities are really so good). And as for things that go together, the Activity nurse wanted to give an example, so she said, you know, like bangers and mash or Geraldine and Keith ...
Thanks, guys, thank you. with love, Geraldine aka kindred. xxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I love reading your posts Geraldine.... it’s rare that they don’t elicit a smile, or a tear, and how fab that you and Keith are like peaches and cream, or better still.... a nice chilled gin and tonic!
I take my hat off to you (well I would if I had one) that you are working and that you are visiting Keith every day and also involved with their activities.
Take care, and thank you,
hugs, Barbara x