Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Evening @rosy18

Oh yes, the sunshine puts Mum in a much better mood. Long may that continue :) Trust me, if the sun peeks out, I’m shoving her out the door. She falls asleep, but she wakes in a good mood. :rolleyes:

The agency has the key safe number, but we have so many different ones, there is little point in telling the carers. It must be 6 weeks with this lot & we had 2 new ones this week :( I’d like to take Mum to the seafront, but it’s such a palarva & she’s happy just in the garden. So pleased you got your Mum out & got smiles. She’s such a sweetheart :(

I’ve thought about suggesting a meetup, but I seem to be chasing my tail & never catch up.

Mums had a cast on for 6 weeks now, boy it stinks :eek: Naturally, she told me at the weekend it’s been hurting for the last 2 weeks ( why tell me after 2 weeks???). Anyway, I got her up the hospital yesterday & they told her she must keep it elevated (I’ve been telling her 20 times a day) but she’s also supposed to keep straightening her fingers. I’ve just been nagging her to try, so of course I’ve had a mouthful off her about how I need to lose weight :rolleyes: I told her what she can do with that thought.

Generally feeling better in myself, the weight loss is “maintain” & I’m disheartened, but I’m still trying. I don’t feel so overwhelmed by everything, but the suns been shining, so everything feels better :cool:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Yes, it is amazing what a bit of sunshine can do, isn't it? :)

Sam, I am glad that your mum has generally been in a better mood - although it is clearly not all sweetness and light.

I am fed up of having to wear socks! They are not easy for me to put on (I do have a 'sockaid' but usually manage without) but my tootsies do get too cold to go without at the moment. I love being able to wear sandals with bare feet (nearly said 'bear feet') as it is so much easier.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta

Yes, a bit of sun makes a hugh difference in this household :). I also noted, that after a month (since returning from holiday), of going out every day, Mum didn’t make a fuss yesterday when I said I was off out. She did try questioning me, but it was half hearted & she didn’t get in a snit over it. Progress. :)

Mum has some trainer socks, I think they are runners socks, has the foot bit but stop just above the heel, have you tried those?

Forecast says cloudy, but the sun is beating down now, fingers crossed it stays this way. I’m not bothered about getting a tan, so much as getting Mum relaxed.

Every time I tried to go strip her bed yesterday she decided she was going to lie down to read. Of course, having thwarted me, she then reappeared in the garden. Today I’m on a mission. Those sheets need changing. Mission Impissible has nothing on a carers ability to get clean sheets on a bed!!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Sam, the music is playing in my head and I have an image of you darting around covertly to get those sheet changed :D

Thanks for the suggestion of trainer socks. Unfortunately, I cannot keep them on. It must be something about my gait that means they just 'walk' off my heels :(

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
the music is playing in my head and I have an image of you darting around covertly to get those sheet changed

I'm afraid the reference to music has now put an image in my head of the Benny Hill music and you running round like a loon to change the sheets when she goes out of the room, then she goes back in so you dart out again, she goes out you dash in - hopefully you get the idea

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I'm afraid the reference to music has now put an image in my head of the Benny Hill music and you running round like a loon to change the sheets when she goes out of the room, then she goes back in so you dart out again, she goes out you dash in - hopefully you get the idea

De de de dee de diddle diddle de dee diddle diddle . . .:D

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sam, I've not been posting much lately, but wanted to wish you every success with Operation Clean Sheets!

Now I have the Mission Impossible music, plus the Benny Hill music, both playing in my head at once!! Such an odd combination. My local public television/PBS station (how many in the States first watched British television shows back in the dark ages before cable and the Internet, when we were at the mercy of whatever our local stations chose to broadcast) used to show Benny Hill when I was a child, before you ask how I know it. That was also how I first saw Doctor Who, Are You Being Served, Monty Python, Eastenders, and many others.

All is well here, just busy. Last week I was mostly out of town and this week I have been working. A friend is office manager for a medical practice and they had an employee depart suddenly, leaving them short handed. I have filled in for them before, so they called me, never mind that I know nothing about what this particular employee did. So that is mostly where I've been.

Hope everyone is well!

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi all

Your so right @rosy18 to have sometimes for you, even a trip to the hairdresser for a pamper session is appreciated when necessary x

Good luck with the mission impossible @Sam Luvit , the things we have to do slyly :(

Sun is out around here. Evening meal prepared, achieved loads today, cleaning , garden tidy.

Await dear brother who will be over tonight for a two night stay with mum, he will call here first to collect £20,
He actually charges this for petrol !!!! I can't wait to see him ( not ) he has plans for a little drive around our area tomorrow to have a look at care homes for mum, I'm not ready for that at the moment, so it could lead to the air been rather frosty :oops:
Or something inserted :eek:

BK

Ps all I've gone back to my old name of bossy knickers, it's probably more appropriate in readiness for brother.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta

I darted in mums room as soon as the Carer took her for her shower, running up & down stairs with arms full of sheets, I even got the mattress cover off & everything in the machine before she was out the bathroom. It went downhill from there :-(. The spin didn’t get going as the load was unbalanced, so I had to pull out PJ’s & hand wring, then the sheets, re-spin the mattress cover, put everything back in & spin those. I felt like I’d done 3 loads of washing by the time I got it all hung out

However. She ended the day with a fresh mattress cover, fresh pillow protector & clean sheets. Her room was so much sweeter so worth the effort :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex

That’s about how it went @jugglingmum ... not a peep out of Mum about it, so that was a result :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Operation Clean Sheets has been successfully executed :)

We had to hire videos of any English TV series, mostly “copies” IFKWIM. Mum & dad didn’t approve, so I’d watch at a friends house. I only remember Dallas lol

Hope the “working” was fun, even if you didn’t exactly know the job, I’m sure having someone there to answer a phone, send a fax or smile sweetly was helpful to your friend.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning BK

I still find it hard to believe he charges your / his mum for petrol. I know when I was coming down every weekend dad wouId give me something towards petrol, but I was taking him to hospital to see Mum (30 miles a time) & running around getting shopping etc, but I was paying a massive mortgage & in a slightly different financial situation :rolleyes:

Let him go off & look, I’ve heard it’s very tiring & disheartening, so let him get disheartened. If he finds a nice one, let him do the research on CQC rating & “comments” etc & let him take the time to get the prices. It’s not like there will be a place you like, in the area you want, with a vacancy next week. You will need to put your Mum on a waiting list. You don’t have to take the place if she’s not ready yet, you can let it pass to the person below her, until you feel the time is right.

I suspect that when he sees the real cost, (£500 a week is £26,000 a year), he might decide that he can keep spending time with his mum for a bit longer

Hugs. I think you need a few just now ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I had one of those days yesterday, the kind where I put the washing up in the bowl, filled with hot water & soap, then something happened ... the phone rang, visitor popped in, Mum lost something etc, every time I walked back into the kitchen, Mum had “helpfully” emptied the water out the bowl. I gritted my teeth. Walked away. Went back & re-filled ... only for it to happen again

Operation Clean Sheets was replaced by Operation Clean Plates!!

Six times, I tried to wash up. Six

After we’d eaten, I was calm & Mum was in a good mood, so I asked her to please, please not keep emptying the washing up bowl

Her reply ... it wasn’t me :rolleyes:
Well we must have a washing up fairy says I
Mum giggled
Well, the washing up fairy is fired says I
Mum laughed & asked why
She can’t wash up to save her life, so if you see her washing up, please tell her she’s fired
Mum laughed :D

It was a good day, even if I still didn’t get the washing up finished :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The sun has got his hat on again today, so I’m going to walk pooch, have a shower & chill in the garden :)

Hope it’s beaming down on you all :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Sam, well done on dealing with The Mystery of the Washing Up with humour. I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be, even without dementia in the mix!

It has been bright and dry here, although a little cool at times. Just seeing the sun raises my spirits :)

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Morning BK

I still find it hard to believe he charges your / his mum for petrol. I know when I was coming down every weekend dad wouId give me something towards petrol, but I was taking him to hospital to see Mum (30 miles a time) & running around getting shopping etc, but I was paying a massive mortgage & in a slightly different financial situation :rolleyes:

Let him go off & look, I’ve heard it’s very tiring & disheartening, so let him get disheartened. If he finds a nice one, let him do the research on CQC rating & “comments” etc & let him take the time to get the prices. It’s not like there will be a place you like, in the area you want, with a vacancy next week. You will need to put your Mum on a waiting list. You don’t have to take the place if she’s not ready yet, you can let it pass to the person below her, until you feel the time is right.

I suspect that when he sees the real cost, (£500 a week is £26,000 a year), he might decide that he can keep spending time with his mum for a bit longer

Hugs. I think you need a few just now ;)
Well I we

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Oh Sam all of those situations we go through the sheets the washing up bow if someone was to write them in a comic strip they would make a fortune. So pleased you could laugh about it, your Mum too :D even though it can get woohoo frustrating. I have to laugh at Mum, if she throws anything onto the floor or grips hold of something she shouldn't she always says it's "him" Seems we have a permanent male living with us:eek:
Margi..BK like Sam says leave your brother to do what he wants everything takes time and you certainly don't have to agree until you feel you want too. How do the rest of the family feel? For someone whose done very little for his Mum sounds like he thinks what he says goes.Sending you humongos (((hugs))) as well x
Amy sounds like you had fun helping your friend at work. Great to have someone to rely on at short notice :) They must have really appreciated you filling in.
You're not the only one Slugsta that can't keep the sport socks to stay on, think it's just that I've got long feet size 7 :(
No sun here today but good forecast for tomorrow :cool: fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann