But oh those lonely nights .........

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And just look at your teeny-tiny waist in the wedding photo! I don't know how many of you read the Woman's Weekly - but I love looking at the old photos in that "You look Great" section, where they photograph readers and ask about what they are wearing, and then they also feature a reader's old photograph of their style many years ago. Many of the photos were taken in the 40s or 50s. It's one of the things that has struck me more than once, is how slim people were back then. Tiny waists! My mum said she had a 22 inch waist getting married. She said that was quite common back then - because people didn't have cars so much, and everyone exercised a lot more because they had to either walk or cycle. She herself cycled 7 miles to work every day at one stage! And also, because chocolate and sweets were such a luxury, even when rationing finished. They were a treat. And of course, portion sizes were so much smaller, particularly when eating out - a portion of chips was much smaller. I remember that myself. I also remember when a regular bag of crisps was the size of one of the bags in the multipacks that you get now. Now, I find on the rare occasion when I get a fish & chip takeaway (about twice a year), I look forward to it so much - and then can't eat half it!

Love seeing old pics. And my goodness Scarlett, you had hardly changed at all between the two pics!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I had a 22 in waist too! Agree that smaller, in some cases, healthier portions and way more exercise were probably the reasons, but then I had 32AA bust (as Fred first said, where are they) and 34 hips too. Weighed just over 8 st. Played tennis or swam most nights, walked or cycled everywhere. Little choc or sweets after rationing as hadn't developed a sweet tooth, and, of course, no alcohol apart from a miniscule glass of wine or sherry at Christmas or celebrations! At least I had good teeth in those days

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
30 years ago, my own waist measured 21 inches. I have now got it DOWN to 31! Because a couple of years ago I read that the measure of whether you were overweight was more your waist measurement than just BMI. And it said a woman's waist shouldn't measure more than 32 inches. I remember thinking " THIRTY TWO INCH WAIST?!!That's very nearly what your hips should be! ", went and measured my waist - and just cried when I discovered it measured a whopping 34 1/2 inches! Now that I'm getting into exercise regularly again, I hope to get it down further, but it is difficult when you are older, isn't it?!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Love seeing old pics. And my goodness Scarlett, you had hardly changed at all between the two pics!

I have copies of the 2 photos in my bedroom, and about 10 years ago, my 2 grand-daughters were studying them, and whispering, and they both said "who's that man with you in your wedding photo Grandma"!!!!

These are some of the 2 of us together - taken about 3 years ago. Whoops, the red-headed one is more recent, I think and my hair isn't quite that colour - it's the light.:)

Attachments

• img001 (7).jpg
    img001 (7).jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Calendar13.jpg
    Calendar13.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
What a lovey day I've had. :) I went to the Chapel of Remembrance, very anxious, because, after the c*ckups with the draft wording, including the wrong date, I was half expecting the entry not to be there. But it was, and was absolutely perfect.

I then began my Nostalgia Day, driving first to Gants Hill and seeing our old home, where we lived for nearly 30 years, then to South Woodford, where I lived with Mum and Dad for 10 years, and both places, and the areas, have changed so much. I marvelled that I used to cycle to school, for 3 miles, along the main road, which is now full of very impatient drivers! Then I drove to the church, where we married and from there to the site of our Reception.

It was originally called The Kingfisher Club, and my Mum loved to tell people "Christine Truman also had her wedding reception here!", but the original building has long gone, and there's now a Premier Inn, with a restaurant.

I waited ages to get served, and eventually was taken into the dining area, where there was just me. The staff were very chatty and I told them it was my 48th wedding anniversary, showed them a photo of John and I outside The Kingfisher, and they were telling me about the weddings they have there now, and the changes there have been.

After, I went to the Reception to pay the bill, and the Manageress, and other staff came round from behind the counter, and said "no charge, it's on us and Happy Anniversary"!!!! Wasn't that kind. :) They all hugged me, and that reduced me to a blubbering wreck.

But I drove the 20 miles home, glad that I'd been, and though it's not something I would necessarily do every year, I wanted to do it today. So what could have been a sad day, turned into a lovely one, with wonderful weather, and a cloudless sky. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aw, that was so kind of them, Scarlett. Glad you had a special day. Happy anniversary. My dad's been dead 15 years, and mum still celebrates their anniversary every year. She feels their marriage is still something to celebrate, even if one is no longer here, and besides, she says "it's still my wedding anniversary. "

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Aw, that was so kind of them, Scarlett. Glad you had a special day. Happy anniversary. My dad's been dead 15 years, and mum still celebrates their anniversary every year. She feels their marriage is still something to celebrate, even if one is no longer here, and besides, she says "it's still my wedding anniversary. "

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Yes, I agree with your Mum, LadyA. It's still my wedding anniversary, even if John isn't physically here to share it with me. Somebody said last week "it would have been your anniversary" but to me, it still is.

A friend phoned me before and said she thought it was brave of me to do this on my own, and we all know it would have been nicer to have had my daughter with me, but I didn't feel alone. I felt John was with me the whole day, and every time I do something for The First Time, I feel that's another hurdle out of the way.

And - hic ;) - just had a Bailey's to celebrate ....... and might have another one later. :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well, after a beautiful day yesterday, it's now freezing here. My curtains arrived, plus the spare material for me to cover a stool, plus the inserts for the "windows" in the wardrobes, and I had paid half the cost, as a deposit.

We inherited these wardrobes when we moved here 17 years ago, and they were only a year old, and don't look at all worn now, but have 2 "glass" (probably plastic) inserts, and the previous owner left her inserts, and I kept them.

So first the fitter put the curtains up, and steamed them, and they look beautiful - silver moire, pinch pleated and lined. Then he gave me the spare material, and there is far more than the half a metre I paid for, so I should be able to cover the stool easily with the aid of my stapling gun.

But oh! The inserts. They have made them too narrow to get the rods through. :( He tried hanging them on wires, but the weight pulled them down, and sadly we both agreed they have to go back and either be remade, or tapes attached to the narrow hems to make them wider.

Why is everything so difficult? Fortunately, I hadn't paid the balance, and I won't until the inserts have been corrected, but it's so frustrating.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh dear. At least it's just a temporary setback. I'm sure they won't keep you waiting long, now that you have the nice curtains, and the extra fabric, and they don't yet have their money! :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh dear. At least it's just a temporary setback. I'm sure they won't keep you waiting long, now that you have the nice curtains, and the extra fabric, and they don't yet have their money! :)

Yes, that's what I'm thinking! The ukulele concert was very good, and I marvelled at the fact they could play many, many chords - without looking. ;)