So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you @Knitandpurl and yes, the accidents have faded since she has been taking codeine for pain relief but not constipation which was the worry. Yesterday was, to say the least, drab, or it was until 1,30 when my youngest brother and his daughter arrived for a visit and it was like a maelstrom of fun and laughter which just flew past and left us both exhausted, really good and a change from visitors sitting and clearly awkward and struggling to make conversation. Today we have our weekly Tuesday group, a favourite, and this afternoon we have a singalong group supported by The Lions Club and 3 guitarists and always enjoyed. Just hope the storm keeps away until we get back home 😊

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
A couple of weeks ago my youngest daughter, a nurse, asked me to take part in a research project about caring thrugh and after covid lockdowns so I applied. Yesterday afternoon the telephone consultation took place and I made a statement that hadn’t been in my conscious mind before and that was that Lockdown, looking back, was an island of peace and togetherness for me and Pauline. What I meant was not that it was easy but that it brought us even closer together and going for isolate walks down traffic free roads was great as was the way family responded and came together to help with food and other deliveries was also a positive. For me the biggest negative I thought was, E-Consult the online consultaion system we were forced to use and which I still think was not for for purposes. Interesting hours chat though.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After spending so much time dozing in her yesterday and then going to bed at 8.15pm it was a surprise when, after I had finished in the bathroom and was fully dressed, she hadn’t made an appearance. I looked in and spoke but no reaction so I left her and had breakfast before going up and calling her again to which she responded she didn’t want to get up, just sleep! I know this is one of the developments in many with Alzheimer’s but this is fairly sudden so caught me on the hop. Not sure how it will develop or how to deal with it if it impacts and our daily routines but we will see.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
😂 😂 Pauline has only been up about 2 hours and yes, has slept in her chair for the past hour but, as I clicked on ne of my iPad apps it played a fanfare and if looks could kill isn’t in it!. A really serious angry glare and then back to dozing as I switched the sound off 😜.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
😂 😂 Pauline has only been up about 2 hours and yes, has slept in her chair for the past hour but, as I clicked on ne of my iPad apps it played a fanfare and if looks could kill isn’t in it!. A really serious angry glare and then back to dozing as I switched the sound off 😜.
Hi @Agzy ,I've been following your posts. My partner is asleep most of the day and night. I wake him for breakfast, he falls asleep after, I wake him for dressing, he falls asleep after, I wake him for lunch, he falls asleep after.... It seems he is only awake if we go to our dementia coffee clubs, singing group or weekly cafe visit. I thought he slept from boredom but I've come to the conclusion that actually he finds things too confusing and too much effort. He too has started having toilet accidents.
He occasionally falls asleep at coffee club if conversation gets lively. I continue to go because I enjoy the company and he is very easy going by nature.
He was diagnosed in 2021 and his decline has been quite quick.
I hope your dementia club outings don't get affected as it's good for us carers to have someone to chat and share with.
Best wishes

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
My OH currently asleep too, and phone on silent. Likewise looks could kill if it bleeps, rings or otherwise makes a noise, as for having a chat with someone on it, definitely a no no.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Agzy ,I've been following your posts. My partner is asleep most of the day and night. I wake him for breakfast, he falls asleep after, I wake him for dressing, he falls asleep after, I wake him for lunch, he falls asleep after.... It seems he is only awake if we go to our dementia coffee clubs, singing group or weekly cafe visit. I thought he slept from boredom but I've come to the conclusion that actually he finds things too confusing and too much effort. He too has started having toilet accidents.
He occasionally falls asleep at coffee club if conversation gets lively. I continue to go because I enjoy the company and he is very easy going by nature.
He was diagnosed in 2021 and his decline has been quite quick.
I hope your dementia club outings don't get affected as it's good for us carers to have someone to chat and share with.
Best wishes
Thank you @maggie6445 it sounds as though our loved ones are on a par and like you I think that lots of the time ‘life’ exhausts and bewilders her and so sleep is her escape. You are right about the clubs and outings too as they are a lifeline for me and allows me to interac with others and even test my skills at minor craft work. All the best to you also x

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yesterday morning she was up early with no prompting but was in bed before 8,30 the night so before so a good nights sleep I presume. When I went online to order her prescription, her new meds for Osteoporosis were listed and not straightforward to administer so that should prove interesting.
During the afternoon she asked if we could drive to New Brighton and go for a walk along the prom so, well wrapped up we went to search for a parking space near to the promenade and were so lucky to get one just where it was wanted. She asked to walk to the boating lake but within 50 yards her mind was changed and so we went back to the car and drove home. The frustrating thing is that she wouldn’t allow me to get the wheelchair from the boot as, “I don’t need it.” I think that next time I will just unload it and push it while empty and she can climb aboard for me to push given it is flat and free from kerb edgings.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Is it Alendronic acid Pauline has to take @Agzy? If so I’m aware of the rigmarole around it. We never managed it weekly as planned Im afraid!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Is it Alendronic acid Pauline has to take @Agzy? If so I’m aware of the rigmarole around it. We never managed it weekly as planned Im afraid!
Can’t remember what GP called it but to be taken first thing before anything else including her cuppa, then she has to sit upright drinking a pint of water in half an hour prior to breakfast etc! I see trouble ahead 😂 😜

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Can’t remember what GP called it but to be taken first thing before anything else including her cuppa, then she has to sit upright drinking a pint of water in half an hour prior to breakfast etc! I see trouble ahead 😂 😜
sounds like it. the first thing you want is cup of tea. i have that when i have to do the blood sugar. best of luck with that

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I took that (called Fosamax here) for a while but had dreadful side effects from it. Now I am having a six monthly injection called Prolia and my last bone density tests showed quite a degree of benefit from it. And I haven’t had any side effects.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I took that (called Fosamax here) for a while but had dreadful side effects from it. Now I am having a six monthly injection called Prolia and my last bone density tests showed quite a degree of benefit from it. And I haven’t had any side effects.
Thank you and have noted PROLIA should she suffer similar which she will knowing our luck 😜

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
At our Tuesday group today we made Valentine cards and so seperated into different rooms, carers and cared for and amazed at how much we, the carers, found to share and discuss in just an hour. Excellent therapy and good advice shared also 😊

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pauline managed showering etc this morning again and still no bowel accident although the bin of used pads from urine accidents is epic.
Once downstairs and, as she now does a lot, she kept falling asleep and yet again I have to watch as she nods off while holding her cup of tea and near panic as it tips towards spilling so, while she has a cup of tea I am on tenterhooks.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Pauline managed showering etc this morning again and still no bowel accident although the bin of used pads from urine accidents is epic.
Once downstairs and, as she now does a lot, she kept falling asleep and yet again I have to watch as she nods off while holding her cup of tea and near panic as it tips towards spilling so, while she has a cup of tea I am on tenterhooks.
Oh yes! Falling asleep while holding a cup of tea - know it well. We have a couple of white sofas, too. I've found if I hand wash (normally cushion cover) immediately, it normally gets it off. I now sit next to her and watch like a hawk. 👀

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Well I bit the bullet and have got a place at day care for her starting next week. It is a lovely place and I met the manageress in the ‘bar’ (all kosher to look at but no alcohol obviously ) and she was wonderful as were two members of staff I met too. I am advised to bring her 15 minutes early so they can make her a special welcome and advise I just slip away as they do. I have explained our disasterous first attempt and also her eating foilables. I really need it to work and can’t imagine 4 hours all to myself!