So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yesterday (Sunday) was the annual getogether of me and my 2 sons, both of whom have birthday just a day apart in early December, and so we combine it with a christmas meet up.
All was well as I left home and a cheery message of where I was and why was written on the white board and so had just 2 1/2 hours together then home to prepare Sunday dinner and BOOM!
Vitriolic is a good word to use to cover her outburst and total demeanour. It would have been anticipated but her son called in while I was away and so she had company and that gave me a false sense of security I suppose, but this time it really upset me. Talk about a Big Dipper of a life 😜

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Given I have yet to hear anything from FIT test results and still having to cope with early morning toilet accidents I did a bit of research based on her eating (nibbling/grazing) habits. Having read about so called sugar free foods possibly causing bowel changes I realised I may have been an accomplice in causing the issues. This is because she just loves Macvities 30% less sugar digestives and so I have been bulk buying to save constant visits to the supermarket and now find she has been eating at least a packet a day! So I have put a block on them although she is upset about it and will put up with the aggro while watching for any changes. Anyone else know about such reactions from sugar free stuff?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Given I have yet to hear anything from FIT test results and still having to cope with early morning toilet accidents I did a bit of research based on her eating (nibbling/grazing) habits. Having read about so called sugar free foods possibly causing bowel changes I realised I may have been an accomplice in causing the issues. This is because she just loves Macvities 30% less sugar digestives and so I have been bulk buying to save constant visits to the supermarket and now find she has been eating at least a packet a day! So I have put a block on them although she is upset about it and will put up with the aggro while watching for any changes. Anyone else know about such reactions from sugar free stuff?
Quite a lot of these products contain alternatives that can actually cause diarrhoea. Substitutes such as sorbitol and aspartame are well known for this so it should say on the packaging that this can occur.

While sugar can be detrimental to overall health, it may ease your situation to switch back to ordinary sweet things. Worth checking out on Google about the side effects of sugar substitutes.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Agzy
The ingredient list of Macvities 30% less sugar digestives does not contain artificial sweetener (have a look on packet to check), it's just less sugar.
Still worth a try stopping, or reducing, intake as other ingredients such as palm oil may be the problem

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i looked it up and is says it has 50% more fibre than an ordinary digestive. may also contain bicarbonate of soda which is a laxative. i would check the ingredient and the nutrition on the packet

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
As an aside.

At the mention of digestives My Patsy's party trick was to put three whole digestives together into her mouth.

I have just asked her, her response is that she found that two were easy, and three were a bit of a struggle but was possible. She now opened her mouth wide and said ' I've got a bit of a big g*b'

Bless her 😊

Colin.

Last edited:

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
As an aside.

At the mention of digestives My Patsy's party trick was to put three whole digestives together into her mouth.

I have just asked her, her response is that she found that two were easy, and three were a bit of a struggle but was possible. She now opened her mouth wide and said ' I've got a bit of a big g*b'

Bless her 😊

Colin.
😏🤣

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As an aside.

Bless her 😊

Colin.
😂 Pauline will, if allowed, will eat 3 or more very quickly one after the other and that is bad enough bu somehow I can imagine her try a ‘Patsy’ trick if it came to mind 😊

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
No toilet accident this morning but poo is still very loose and she still struggles to wipe herself clean although she is coping with self showering very well. Maybe cutting out the biscuits has worked but not convinced yet, thank you all.
Given the new skin cream and adhesive dressings I now have to use on myself, it has messed up my morning routines and that is not helped when she needs the toilet/shower as I am in the middle of my own ablutions. Add to that the struggle she has to put her leggings on when dressing as, either through confusion or awkwardness from her bad back, she just can’t seem to be able to get her 2nd leg into the appropriate leg on the trousers and it's heartbreaking to watch Her struggle
Given it is Saturday, the medicine blister packs have to be replenished, which takes ages, the laundry has to be done, hearing aids cleaned and batteries renewed all probably not helped by my breathing difficulties, but by 9,30am I am exhausted and yet still have to do more shopping!
Bah Humbug came to mind briefly but cast aside as we are going to enjoy the festivity even if it is just the two of us 😊.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Agzy, I hope you get everything sorted and manage to have a proper rest. I really think its time to try and get more help in, as you don't want to end up wearing yourself totally out.
Hope the poo problem continues to improve.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@Agzy, I hope you get everything sorted and manage to have a proper rest. I really think its time to try and get more help in, as you don't want to end up wearing yourself totally out.
Hope the poo problem continues to improve.
Thank you @Sarasa. I have been diagnosed with a diaphragm issue in my right lung and further test have been ordered although I am assured there is nothing ‘sinister.’ Nontheless it leaves me struggling for breath but not so that I can’t cope for a while. Once the tests are done I will know if an operation is needed and then the question of care and respite cannot be ignored by her sons and I am hoping a proper care plan can be agreed but at present Pauline refuses all suggestions of help from ‘outsiders.’

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s really tough @Agzy.

I do hope your health issues are treatable. Obviously I’ve no ill wishes for you but it sounds as if your hospitalisation will be the only way for Pauline to accept help

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Late afternoon and Pauline disappears to the loo for another wee and is, like earlier, a long time so, after she had finished I checked the nappy bin and yes, 2 pairs of pull-ups bagged and binned. After asking her she admitted being on her third pair of the day as she had had accidents. So sad but worrying as to what is really causing it all.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Has crossed my mind x
Have you looked around at local care homes @Agzy? I guess it’s hard for you to do that but I wonder if it would be helpful to have in mind places you think Pauline is more likely to fit in…..so that when the crisis occurs ..you have a shortlist in mind or even her on the waitlist?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Have you looked around at local care homes @Agzy? I guess it’s hard for you to do that but I wonder if it would be helpful to have in mind places you think Pauline is more likely to fit in…..so that when the crisis occurs ..you have a shortlist in mind or even her on the waitlist?
@sdmhred , it has crossed my mind more than once more especially for respite so that I can make a final visit to family in Canada but also I have asked her sons, to no avail, to help choose as if anything happens to me it falls to them to sort out care. Given that I think day care will be first priority in 2024 and hopefully, as part of long term plan, in a facility for care too. Thank you and all the best.