Respite

Duckieduckbill

Feb 23, 2024
Hi
How does everyone manage to get a break ?
I’d love to have a week away but my Mum won’t accept that she needs a carer if I’m not here and certainly wouldn’t agree to go into a rest home.
I also have 2 dogs so a break might cost me £2000 before I’ve even paid for a holiday !
My Mum has just started to get attendance allowance which will help pay for care but I don’t even know how to find it. I tried on line via a ‘finding professionals’ site but I blocked the only response I got as it was so random.
Any ideas welcome

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Duckieduckbill.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It does sound like you need a break. This link explains the process of seeking an assessment of care needs. It might be somewhere for you to start -

Knitterknatter

Dec 20, 2022
Hi
I’d love to have a week away but my Mum won’t accept that she needs a carer if I’m not here and certainly wouldn’t agree to go into a rest home.
I also have 2 dogs so a break might cost me £2000 before I’ve even paid for a holiday !
My Mum has just started to get attendance allowance which will help pay for care but I don’t even know how to find it. I tried on line via a ‘finding professionals’ site but I blocked the only response I got as it was so random.
Any ideas welcome
Have you spoken to Social Services? They can help. They also have a list of agencies that can help. Try googling dementia care agencies. Check with mum's GP as they may have suggestions.

Can't help about the dogs, I have cats.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi
Any ideas welcome
Thank you for raising this as I am in the same boat without the dogs though. I know she will refuse to go into respite care or have carers coming in.