Our magic bitter sweet moments 🥰🥰🥰

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Just my ramblings.
Yes @sdmhred when you've been separated from the wider world you don't know what you've been missing (if that's the right phrase) because you've been locked away in a carer's parallel world.
Now you're out and about, you'll probably much more sensitive to all the world around you, which in my view is a good thing, and and probably better off for this more observant and more appreciative viewpoint.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Betwixt Christmas and New Year..

Thats how this time between death and the funeral feels for me…..especially the working days when you have to carry on as normal but all is not normal. ……I also feel we’ve had the Big Event and now we’re waiting for it’s younger sister. We’ve needed the gap to get bookings and organised but it does feel a long wait.

Fairly busy day…..2 friends called me (lovely but tiring), insurance company pains, a lovely walk ( new to me and interesting to see leftovers from Canadian troops in WW2) and a visit to the care home. It’s lovely to be welcomed there…staff and residents just engaging as before….a bit of pacing, asking if I can help with the paying the bill to the Pied Piper and reassuring a lady that her husband will be well at sea. As I engage with bits of the real world tho again I’m saddened at the exclusion of dementia. How the residents and especially the mobile ones, have not left those walls since I visited last week 😢😢 Again I know why, but it feels wrong to me that such lovely lovely people are in all senses incarcerated away from society. Maybe as they can’t leave for various reasons - society should go to them???

Attachments

• C0A73F8F-778F-47FA-968A-869506E3230B.jpeg
    C0A73F8F-778F-47FA-968A-869506E3230B.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 669D9061-EDDF-40FB-A0DE-40263540B3D0.jpeg
    669D9061-EDDF-40FB-A0DE-40263540B3D0.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 27
  • CED13F8D-7542-49D4-9DAF-2AE378C697EB.jpeg
    CED13F8D-7542-49D4-9DAF-2AE378C697EB.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Brilliant post as ever, @sdmhred
Yes wouldn't it be better if a lot more of the community were involved with our friends with dementia.
Maybe things will gradually improve. A lot of people just won't want to know, of course.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
jelly drops…

I forgot to say yesterday my sister was shopping in Wimbledon. Apparently they were going down the tennis train queue asking people if they knew someone with dementia and giving out jelly drops! Have heard much about them but thankfully never needed with mum…she got me a packet to prevent dehydration on my walks! And a 20% off voucher for my next purchase.

Pouring pouring today. I got out this am whilst only spitting. If I’m not too careful will actually get some sorting done!

We’re all set for funeral tomorrow. The only tricky thing is Dad’s old friend who doesn’t socially get when he needs to butt out. I’m usually very tolerant but for some reason not with him. We have a family meal (plus old friend) after and we will have to work hard to keep him away!

Attachments

• 65F16ABC-947E-4456-8FC6-A78940C3D229.jpeg
    65F16ABC-947E-4456-8FC6-A78940C3D229.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
jelly drops…

I forgot to say yesterday my sister was shopping in Wimbledon. Apparently they were going down the tennis train queue asking people if they knew someone with dementia and giving out jelly drops! Have heard much about them but thankfully never needed with mum…she got me a packet to prevent dehydration on my walks! And a 20% off voucher for my next purchase.

Pouring pouring today. I got out this am whilst only spitting. If I’m not too careful will actually get some sorting done today.

We’re all set for funeral tomorrow. The only tricky thing is Dad’s old friend who doesn’t socially get when he needs to butt out. I’m usually very tolerant but for some reason not with him. We have a family meal (plus old friend) after and we will have to work hard to keep him away!
tell him its some where else. when my great aunt died, my cousin just walked around after the funeral and invited us individually so those that she didnt want didnt find out. there is always someone that doesnt get it and has the diplomacy of a gnat. good luck for tomorrow, i hope it goes as well as it can.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thank you all for your wonderful support - what a great place this is 🥰🥰🥰
Today went very well and I am pleased …
but exhausted…

proper post to follow…