Hello I am Linda. My sister who was 5 was considered to not be normal

smattels

Apr 26, 2024
Hi. I am wanting to deal with this as best i can. We did not grow up together. Margaret is showing signs of mid to later dementia. Lost 50 ibs. Obsession. Feeling cold. I grew up an only child and met Margaret 5 years ago. I am having a hard time with this

smattels

Apr 26, 2024
I am one of her caretakers who cooks for her. Eating habits get crazy. I need to learn how emotionally I can deal with this. I have her sister, who is 6 months younger than me, the grew up together, so the bond is close. It will be difficult and I don't know how to be supportive. Help

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @smattels and welcome to the forum.

I wonder if your sister has had a formal diagnosis as the symptoms you describe are a bit vague and could be caused by things other than dementia. Maybe a visit to the GP would start the ball rolling towards getting help.

If you have any specific questions just ask as the forum members are a friendly and experienced bunch.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @smattels and welcome from me also. It must be difficult looking after a sister that you have only known for a few years. I would agree with @karaokePete that it would be a good idea to consult your sister's doctor regarding her symptoms to ensure that you know exactly what is going on. There could be reasons other than dementia for the weight loss and only a doctor would be able to check for this.

This is a UK site and from your use of the wording 'caretaker' I am assuming that you are based in the US so I have attached a link to the US Alzheimer's Association which you might find useful. In the meantime I hope that you will continue to post on the forum for support or to ask for advice.