Forget me not: a space to share your memories and photos

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
That’s fascinating, thank you for sharing Lynne. Ive never heard of anyone called Niven before. A lovely meaning too!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This is my wife Eileen who died eleven years ago this evening, it was also Accession Thursday
Villa Erin May 2008 077.JPG

Photo taken May 2008 in Kerkyra, Corfu with dementia still at the 'is it?' stage.
I've already posted that in 2009 on holiday in Agios Nikolaos, Kalamata everything changed dramatically.

Not all holidays were in foreign climes, this is a memory of one in the Lake District - she was a foot shorter than me.
Postcard - Copy.jpg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been staring at your photos and the card @nitram, reading into them what a lovely life you had and how it had to end.

So sad!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks @sdmhred, it is a Scottish name, he came from the west coast of Scotland. It translates as 'holy boy' and his family has used the name for the first son of the first son for many generations. Needless to say, I didn't break the tradition when our own son was born!

I think the name has become more widely used than it used to be. I even met a female from South Africa with the name a few years back. Mr Google says it translates as 'little saint' rather than 'holy boy' - maybe because it is used by both genders now 😁
Interesting info.on the name ,thank you. My daughter has a nephew called Niven and we'd never heard of it until then.

Lovely photo too x

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @nitram Let the long shared happy times and what you meant to each other out weigh the short (by comparison) but sad dementia period you experienced. Lovely photos.

(There's probably a reason why you had to disguise yourselves when out in the Lake District.😄)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thanks everybody.
The sunshine did not arrive till this afternoon and has stayed so I've just eaten a special meal outside.
I made one of Eileen's favourite Greek meals, Kalamarakia Tiganita with Skordalia followed by Kleftiko

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thanks everybody.
The sunshine did not arrive till this afternoon and has stayed so I've just eaten a special meal outside.
I made one of Eileen's favourite Greek meals, Kalamarakia Tiganita with Skordalia followed by Kleftiko
sounds lovely and a good way to celebrate and remember Eileen

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@nitram that is a lovely photo of Eileen, it looks like she was enjoying her holiday. I have fond memories of Corfu from about 40 years ago when I went with my husband on a camping holiday. It was great fun but I expect it has changed a lot since then. I love the lake district and we may go again this year.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@LynneMcV , lovely to see that photo of Niven and hear about his name which is a lovely one. @nitram a great picture of Eileen and that postcard is very special.
Wednesday was my 25th wedding anniversary and we were showing the photos to a friend who was there last night. This is one of my favourites of me with my parents. My dad died suddenly, but not unexpectedly, a month later and mum died of advanced dementia last October.

1715329547853.jpeg