Young early on set alzheimers

claire.burke

Jun 3, 2024
Uxbridge
Hello. Hope everyone is well.
My husband has just been diagnosed with young early onset Alzheimer's late last year. He started assessments for a trial in jan but the trial was pulled before he could get accepted. We start another one on 17th of the month.
He want talk about it and is v depressed and im not sure how to deal with this. His consultant prescribed antidepressants plus the 2standard disease drugs but these havent been reviewed since oct as he has been discharged from hospital.
I went to a support group where all the made me very welcome but i wondered if anyone has any advice or can share their experience
Thank you
Claire

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @claire.burke.

I’m sorry to read about your husband’s diagnosis. Even more heartbreaking that it’s young onset.

I think depression is quite common in people who have been given a diagnosis of dementia. I recall that my husband was given anti depressants as soon as he was diagnosed and remained on these for the 15 years following his diagnosis.

It might be useful to contact the GP and ask if he can have a medication review. I would note down all of your concerns and send or take them to the GP prior to the appointment so that you don’t have to talk about your concerns in front of your husband.

You might find something of interest here

I hope you find this forum useful. There will always be someone here ready to listen and share their experiences with you.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me too.
My wife was diagnosed early fifties (her age not the 1950's) I know it's rude to ask someone's age, however, can l ask, just roughly don't need a date of birth or anything.
Just realised I've been posting on here for over 10 years, time flies when you're having fun as they say. K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lottie 26