You know that shuffling thread...

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
...well MIL fell yesterday and broke her shoulder! Spent last night at hers cos she was nil by mouth today till they made the decision to operate or not. Luckily not. Couldn't feed or water her till 12.30 when they rang.
I always knew at some point I would be undressing her, washing her etc but didn't think it would be now. All she has is a collar & cuff (which she keeps trying to take off)
Six plus weeks of this!!! Gosh

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Oh No Lizzy - poor Mil, and poor you! I hope it heals quickly and easily for her, and that you don't have too much of a battle ahead of you xxxxx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Had three hours at home, then went back to find her wandering about, collar & cuff off wondering what to make for her tea. Give me strength. Put the collar back on sat her down, put her tea on, then she's going on about the fact that she's not dusted today!
She has no concept that she has broken her shoulder, or that she is meant to be keeping it still. I wish I'd counted the amount of times I've said "you have broken your shoulder blah blah blah"
What do you do?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Had three hours at home, then went back to find her wandering about, collar & cuff off wondering what to make for her tea. Give me strength. Put the collar back on sat her down, put her tea on, then she's going on about the fact that she's not dusted today!
She has no concept that she has broken her shoulder, or that she is meant to be keeping it still. I wish I'd counted the amount of times I've said "you have broken your shoulder blah blah blah"
What do you do?

Oh Boy - I have no idea how I would cope with that one :( Mil has a painful shoulder, damaged after a fall over a year ago, and things like hoovering cause her a lot of pain - but she can never remember. Because I'm here with her, its just a matter of constantly reminding her - but with something like a broken shoulder, where its imperative she wears that collar, and where you can't be with her 24/7, has to be a nightmare. I wish I could suggest something, but I honestly can't think of anything that would stop her removing it, and acting as though the shoulder wasn't broken :( Maybe can the hospital suggest something? Something she couldn't take off herself?

I really feel for you :(

Eleonora

Dec 21, 2012
Abingdon Oxfordshire
Oh what a problem Lizzy! I can only hope that it was not a very serious break, and that is why they decided not to operate.
In the old days, they used to put breaks in plaster - I remember when my two year old had to be immobilised, they plastered her from arm-pits to knees.
Possibly they might immobilise your mil's shoulder for her if she won't or cant keep it still.

Do hope someone comes up with a good solution for you.

Hang on in there!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Oh Lizzybean, so sorry to hear that. This is why I worry about the shuffling! I noticed on mum's file at the CH that she's at risk of falling down the stairs. I've noticed they've started using the stair gate more regularly now. Worse nightmare.

Hope it's not too much of a trial for you, I can't think of anything to help xxx

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
The other option is that you put MIL's collar n cuff on her next to her skin, i.e. under her clothing,then put a jumper over the top, make it more difficult for her to get to the collar n cuff. This suggestion not ideal if she lives alone,I guess. When I worked in children's A&E,that's how we encouraged the kiddies to wear their sling for @ least some of the time,not so easy to get to & remove it. Don't forget to tuck the empty sleeve in !

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks Ann Mac & Eleonara, I wasn't expecting any answers just wanted to say it really. Will have to keep a close eye on her luckily I am close by. It is very swollen at the mo & her arm is literally black & that is creeping down past her elbow, which I presume is pretty natural but will monitor it as best as I can.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks AnonGirl & Mun, half way thru post & was called away, finished & posted & then realised you'd both responded. Good idea about cuffing her inside the clothes, may try that.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry to hear about your mum and the trials you are having with the collar and cuff.
I hope mum heals quickly

Am going to pm you re something to help with the bruising

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Sorry to hear this lizzybean :(

I hope MIL recovers well and that you somehow cope with that collar and cuff :eek:

I had one myself actually about 10 years ago, when I broke my shoulder in 3 places!!! Took me about 8 weeks to get back to work, but I was able to wash and dress after a couple of weeks ( with a lot of painkillers!)

Also mum broke her shoulder a few years ago ( must run in the family, lol :p), in her case they pinned it and she recovered within weeks :)

Hope all goes well for you both :)

Lindy xx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
She drives me nuts. Just rang her, she said she's in a lot of pain, took her ages to wash & dress & make her breakfast! She will not sit around in her night clothes. The agency come anytime between 8-10.30 this is useless for her. I am hoping that when I speak to SW on Monday she will let me use the agency which started last week doing 1 visit (these were the ones I was using for respite, they are LA approved & I sourced them) I like them & as of yet they have always gone between 7-7.30 which is far better for her.
Also asked her if she had her sling on, "don't know where it is" Aaarrrggghhhhh
When we put the phone down, can you go & find it?
I might move in for 6 weeks, it is more tortuous being away (perhaps not)

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Don't know whether I am coming or going. OH went this morning, checks the log that the emergency care agency has put in place & NOTHING has been written in! Have they been! A male carer arrived while he was there, he had called this morning & didn't know where the meds where so has called back. Bearing in mind that the log & meds are in the same place (the allotted place I might add) does that mean that she had no bedtime meds? Nothing from 5 yesterday till 11 this morning! No wonder she is in pain.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I know I keep banging on but...

Rang her this morning to make sure she was ok & remind her to put her sling on. She had got washed & dressed herself & was just about to make her breakfast so she said she would put it on after that. Rang back later to tell her to put it on which she did. Was really pleased when I went down after Mass to find that she had it on, pity it was on the wrong arm!!
We were at A & E last night, she rang me at 9.45pm to say her hand was really swollen. I had last seen her at 5.15pm & there was no swelling at that time. So I went down & wasn't happy so took her. They were a bit concerned but basically said bruising & swelling were normal (which I knew but I think it is excessive) Today the bruising has increased again. It is now all the way down her arm to her finger tips & even in her palm. Don't know where it can go from there unless her arm actually pops!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi lizzybean :)

This is such a difficult situation for you to manage :( Do the hospital medics realise how little MIL is actually wearing the collar and cuff? If it's really important, surely they wouldn't leave it to someone who is 'confused' and lives alone to manage? Limitations of the NHS, I guess.....:rolleyes:

Anyway just thought I'd mention that I had major swelling and bruising when I broke my shoulder. I may be mistaken but I thought that part of the reason for wearing the collar and cuff was to prevent the fluid gathering in the hand and arm, and so reduce discomfort ? :confused:

Does anyone else know actually what the purpose of it is?? It might help if you knew how vital if is or isn't to MIL's recovery.....

All the best :)

Lindy xx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
The Dr in A & E said last night that it is advisable that she wears it as often as possible, but that she won't do any lasting damage, probably just delay her recovery a bit if she doesn't wear it continuously. I have tried to stress the problems but as anyone knows that is hard to do when they are sat next to you, he seemed to get the picture last night.
I wish I had a pound for every time I've said, you have broken......I know she is never going to get it but generally speaking it is her that asks me -what's happened to my hand/ooohh my arm is hurting/what's up with this hand, my other hand is ok (my personal favourite) etc etc
She also keeps asking me whether the nurses are coming, as she has never seen any.
They went 4 times y'day, twice so far today.
I think that the swelling has gone down a little from this morning, she says she has not moved all afternoon & she did have the cuff (on the correct) arm when I got there.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Lizzybean,

So sorry that your mum and you are having to go through this. This was the beginning of the end of independent living for my mum when she broke her shoulder. I think the struggles just brought her dementia to the attention of those who hadn't shown much interest up to then. As mum lived alone and we were down south at the time, they readmitted her to hospital so they could keep an eye on her rather than struggle at home.

A couple of bits of info for you. Mum too was bruised from her neck to her fingertips. Arnica was used to clear the bruising and certainly seemed to work. Like your mum, she never remembered falling or that her shoulder was broken. Collar and cuff? Never! Sooo, the consultant said it was time to revert to the old fashioned approach and they used an old fashioned sling to hold her arm close to her body and then put her clothing on top of that. That seemed to work quite well BUT it did make her less stable if she chose to move so they made sure someone was with her when she was on the go. She was on painkillers but not too many. The consultant said this was for 2 reasons, so she didn't get groggy and have another fall if she went on the move and also he said that a little bit of a twinge if she tried to move the arm was a reminder not to do it. On the days she was really agitated about the sling they would use a pillow and make her rest her arm on that. According to what we were told, the aim is to make sure that the shoulder doesn't drop as it heals as this could cause problems in the longer term and make it more susceptible to arthritis. Luckily, mum's shoulder healed just fine - not in any way due to her having been careful I might add!

In addition to the carers it might be worthwhile (on the basis that this is a medical situation that requires medical input) to contact her GP and to ask if the DN could call and check on your mum over the next few weeks until the shoulder is healed. I would argue that whilst carers are fine, they are not qualified to recognise or treat any issues eg pain. I'd also point out that with her dementia, there is a danger that without the input from DNs that she may well have to be admitted to hospital in order to get constant supervision.

It is gonna be a long 6-8 weeks isn't it. I hope you both get the support that is needed to see you through this.

Fiona

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Glad to hear lizzybean that MIL does have nurses going in, and that the swelling seems to be improving :)

I guess the 'good' thing (if there is one) is that she is not finding the pain too excruciating......

Hope it's going well

Lindy xx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks Fiona & Lindy, I hope it isn't the end of independent living for her. Inside her flat she is pretty good, still does most things herself. She doesn't venture out by herself & OH & I do all her shopping etc. It's just that she has her routine & sticks rigidly to it. She just (even if she could remember) cannot wait for carers to get her washed & dressed. She's usually done that by 7.15, they've been going much later. If SW is ok with from today I am hoping that we go back to the agency I've been using. They know she likes an early call.