You couldn't make it up!

pamann

Hello Jinx, sorry to hear B has a cold, you are very brave to be thinking of taking B out, l would love to take Ed out, but nervous incase l have a problem getting him back in the CH,

Jinx

Hello Jinx, sorry to hear B has a cold, you are very brave to be thinking of taking B out, l would love to take Ed out, but nervous incase l have a problem getting him back in the CH,

Pam I am worried about that too but don't think Bernard is as challenging as your husband, neither is he very mobile so I think as long as I can get him out of the car it would be a case of getting him into his wheelchair and by the time we were back in to the home he wouldn't know any different. I hate the thought that he is stuck in those four walls and while he can still go out I want to give it a go. Quite understand with the problems you had with your husband that you wouldn't want to risk it though especially if he is now settled. xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Hello Jinx l do awful that my hubby will be in the home without ever going out anymore, l visited today
, he said l was just coming home as l thought you were not coming to see me today, he was very distressed, first time he has mentioned home, made me feel sad. Its difficult to know what to say.

Jinx

Pam, Bernard does talk about home but then he constantly did when he was 'at home'. Home for Bernard is where he lived with his parents, I doubt if I took him home he would recognise it and I wonder if your husband has a different concept of home? It is a difficult one to deal with, I try and distract him in some way but it doesn't always work. xxx

pamann

Thank you Jinx l know what you mean, we down sized 7yrs ago, after living in a house for 20yrs, my hubby misses that home so much, l often think that upset him so much after we moved, but we had 6 bedrooms which was far to large for 2 of us, after thevfamily left home we didn't need all that space. Now he is in a house with 42 bedrooms he is happy. How good is that for him. ☺

Jinx

Pam, that is good and being that big he probably has plenty of space to wander. Bernard can wander freely and decide which sitting room he wants to go in. We used to have a big house too and I think he's enjoying the space. Our latest place is just a two bed annexe on my daughter's house, it's ideal for me but I think he found it quite restricting. He was forever trying all the doors and getting agitated to find they were locked. He's asked me about keys a couple of times in the home but it's easy to change the subject. x

Chuggalug

Thank you everyone, do so appreciate your support. My younger daughter visited early afternoon with her two boys and she said her Dad was very relaxed and in fact dropped off to sleep after about half an hour so they left him to it. I went in just before tea for half an hour with the dog and he was fine except he appears to be getting conjunctivitis so will have to make sure they get him some drops for that. He does seem prone to it of late.

I am just beginning to get used to the idea that I can just go and do things on the spur of the moment. Nothing very exciting but decided to take the dog to our local reservoir for a walk and then had coffee and cake in the cafe there as could never get B to go in. It's a lovely new resource overlooking the water, very relaxing. I then went and got the car valeted, first time in three year I am ashamed to say, looks like new now!!

Ha! Love the bit about the car. That's the thing, tho', where you suddenly find yourself with nothing but bags of time to yourself. It took me a while to learn how to cope with that. Everything's a learning curve again. I swear I've done it all before, somehow!

I'd love to do that. Sit somewhere with beautiful scenery and just indulge. I can do that, jjust sitting here, looking out of my window, but to be able to go out and do the same. Hmmm...wouldn't half be nice :)

Look after yourself, Jinx. Much love to you and Bernard, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, by the way - saw the water drops you uploaded after this comment and wanted to show my appreciation. That's an incredible talent, being able to paint drops of water on a leaf.

Last edited:

pamann

Hello Jinx, pleased to hear B is settling, l feel good that now l can go and do what l like, being your own person is a nice place to be. I go to see Ed everyday, some how it feels good to walk away. ☺

Jinx

Ha! Love the bit about the car. That's the thing, tho', where you suddenly find yourself with nothing but bags of time to yourself. It took me a while to learn how to cope with that. Everything's a learning curve again. I swear I've done it all before, somehow!

I'd love to do that. Sit somewhere with beautiful scenery and just indulge. I can do that, jjust sitting here, looking out of my window, but to be able to go out and do the same. Hmmm...wouldn't half be nice :)

Look after yourself, Jinx. Much love to you and Bernard, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, by the way - saw the water drops you uploaded after this comment and wanted to show my appreciation. That's an incredible talent, being able to paint drops of water on a leaf.

Aw Chuggs, so sorry you can't get out and about so easily, I know I'm lucky being able to jump in the car when I want. The water drops are quite easy once you know how to do it, you could do it too!

Didn't manage to visit Bernard today as my dau has ricked her back and so I was on call to do the school runs and look after my 2.5 year old granddaughter as dau can hardly move. Her husband is away on business till tomorrow evening so she's very stuck.

The weather here was atrocious today, strong winds and pelting rain, hope it's better tomorrow.

Jinx

Went in to see B during my lunch hour, he was in the toilet being changed and by the time he was ready I had to go back to work. I went again this evening and same thing. Only saw him for about 15 minutes before I had to leave for art class. He is very unwell, they tested his urine this evening and he has another 'off the scale' urine infection to quote the nurse. He is absolutely doubled over his Zimmer frame and hardly able to put one foot in front of the other again. They'll get ABs for him tomorrow but I am worried about him, he's beginning to cough again too so hope infection hasn't spread to his chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Went in to see B during my lunch hour, he was in the toilet being changed and by the time he was ready I had to go back to work. I went again this evening and same thing. Only saw him for about 15 minutes before I had to leave for art class. He is very unwell, they tested his urine this evening and he has another 'off the scale' urine infection to quote the nurse. He is absolutely doubled over his Zimmer frame and hardly able to put one foot in front of the other again. They'll get ABs for him tomorrow but I am worried about him, he's beginning to cough again too so hope infection hasn't spread to his chest.

Oh Jinx , so sorry to hear that . Of course you are worried . Hoping B will get the ABs quickly so they start to kick in. This year there are so many infections about and it makes me wonder if they thrive because it has been so mild ?! Lots of hugs to you xxxx

esmeralda

Do hope Bernard is feeling better soon, Jinx. You must be very worried. It seems to have been one thing after another for you both.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oh dear. Hope Bernard will be better soon. Infections are so awful - they can have such dramatic affects on people with dementia sometimes.

thebes

Hope you have better news today and he is more comfortable, another worry for you. I do admire the way you keep going, xxx

Jinx

B started ABs on Friday and wasn't too bad yesterday evening, a bit sleepy but eating and drinking OK. I usually take the dog in with me as most of the residents love seeing her, but this evening someone else had their dog visiting too. All was fine until the other dog, also a Jack Russell, came over to me to say hello, my dog was across the room but took one look and came tearing over and attacked it. No harm done as managed to grab mine and took her out to the car, little horror!

I decided not to wait for a physio referral so that B could be given a taller walking frame so went and bought one which is a big improvement and means he's not quite so stooped. He is well over 6' and I think the one the hospital sent him to the home with was made for someone at least 6" shorter!

Jinx

Lovely sunny morning this morning so I thought I might try taking B out for a drive. As seems to happen regularly, he was in the toilet when I arrived, checked it would be OK to take him out and he seemed to like the idea. So got him into his coat, bit of a struggle as he finds it hard to stand up straight, got him into his wheelchair and out to the car, thinking as he'd just 'been' we'd be OK for an hour or so. Just about to get him into the car when he decided he needed a wee! Back inside we went to the bathroom and by then he'd decided he didn't need a wee after all. By that time he was so exhausted I took him back to his chair and he promptly went to sleep.

I've got to take him to a hospital appointment in a couple of weeks so hope that will be OK.....

esmeralda

I understand that experience completely Jinx! What a pity he missed his outing. Do you think he might have prostate problems? It might be worth asking the GP as there is medication which can help.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx