Worried about John

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Great news Hazel. :):):)

Well done you and well done John.

Your posts about John and the care he receives in the home gives hope to those of us who have yet to tackle the hurdle of placing our loved ones in residential care. Thankyou.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Wonderful news Hazel. My love to you nd John.

"Viscopaste" was used at least 40 years ago for the treatment of leg ulcers. Surely not the same pne now.:confused:

My MIL had very badly ulcerated legs, but she kept them under control with good old viscopaste.

Anyway whatever did the trick, so glad for you both.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
"Viscopaste" was used at least 40 years ago for the treatment of leg ulcers. Surely not the same pne now.:confused:

Yes Connie, I think it is. When it was first prescribed the staff nurse commented that they were going back to the old remedies!

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hazel,
Such good news!!

Well Done, I agree.. it does pay to fight, and you prove that it does, every time!!

Lots of Love to both of you,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Hazel..

Such good news..

For the record..Viscopaste is wonderful..it could be a combination of all 3..Viscopaste, Antibiotics, Manuka honey...:)

And the 4th element..the Viking Spirit...:D

And the 5th element..Hazel..;):D

So happy for you...

Love Gigi xx

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Hazel
Thats great news for you both. Like you say - dose it really matter whats got rid of it - its gone. Well done, Hazel you are so dedicated and caring. John is so lucky to have you. He probably knows that anyway!
take care
hendy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you all so much! What would I do without your support?

I actually slept for 10 hours last night! Wow!!!

Love to all,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
10 hours...fantastic Hazel...you must have needed it...

(How many hot toddies did you have before bed?):D

Love Gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Only one, gigi -- but don't ask about the atrength!:D

And I've been putting Manuka honey in them, it's my new miracle cure!

Wonder what excuse I can find when this cold finally packs its bags?

By the way, when I was saying at the beginning of the week that I didn't think it could be flu, because I'd had the jab (or jag, up here), one of the staff nurses told me that it could be, there was a lot of flu about. Apparently she'd been told by her doctor that they got the jab wrong this year, and it wasn't totally effective. One of my favourite carers has been off for a fortnight with flu, and all the staff had 'jags'.

Anyone else heard that?

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Hazel

Glad to hear that finally Johns heels have healed (pardon the pun:))

Lovely photo of the pair of you too.

Libs

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
that they got the jab wrong this year, and it wasn't totally effective.

The problem is that the virus can mutate so quicky, we can't always keep up. Apparnetly, this is what has happened this year. My mother's home has just come off a 3 week quarantine due first to an enteric outbreak & then flu. Everyone receives the flu shot (as we call it here) - staff and residents.

Hazel, I'm certain you'll think up another good "reason" for hot toddies when your cold is gone.:D

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
We had our SW in yesterday for John's review.

It all went very well, he checked John's care plan, discussed how he had settled, mobility issues, recognition, feeding, continence, awareness, mood -- everything.

Then he asked me how I got on with the staff, and whether I felt able to raise any issues with them. How often I visited, how often John's sons visited. All very positive so far.

Then he asked how I was feeling. Ouch!

I said I still missed John terribly, and would give anything to have him home.

He said very firmly, there's no chance of that, it wouldn't be possible for me to care for him.

I know that, but it doesn't make it easier to have it spelled out. :(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear Hazel. :(

I wonder how many people are able to return home after a term in residential care, very few I`m sure.

I suppose it sounded very final to you, which must be hard to hear, but think........only a while ago you were fearing John would be on palliative care only, so there have been some improvements in his condition.

Love xx