Worried about John

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Reminyl..

Apparently once they've stopped being effective in slowing the decline, they may be having a purely sedative effect

That's very interesting, Hazel..as Eric has been on the maximum dose of Reminyl for almost a year now..

And he sleeps more than he is awake...

Any idea how we would know when they've stopped slowing the decline?

Love Gigi xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Hazel,

Glad you and John are both doing better and so pleased to hear about your St Patrick's day - it sounds wonderful.

Can I ask you about Reminyl?

Clutching at straws really but I know John's condition is quite similar to my mum's but we're being told there is nothing at all they can give us that would help.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Kate, John was originally diagnosed as AD, and was put on Reminyl straight away. (Pre NICE)

Four years later, after we'd moved up here, the consultant decided it wasn't AD at all, but PPA (which I'd never heard of).

He was doing so well on Reminyl he was kept on it, and it worked well until his infection last summer. That put him straight into end-stage, and obviously the med was having little or no effect, so he's now off it.

AD meds are not supposed to work for other kinds of dementia, but they do work for some people. It would be worth a try if you can talk the consultant into prescribing it.

Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Another lovely party today, this time for Easter.

They had an accordionist and singer again, and the carers danced with those who were mobile.

The Easter bunny visited, with eggs for everyone, and there were lovely refreshments.

John managed to stay awake all afternoon, and enjoyed the music.

I asked if we were now going to have a party every Monday; they said we could if I organised them.

Attachments

• Easter bunny.jpg
    Easter bunny.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 321

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Hazel,

Lovely photo! One to treasure..:)

So we know what you'll be doing each Monday from now on...:D

Love Gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, everyone, I'll certainly treasure the photo, and a memory of a good afternoon.

Yes, Mameeskye, the Easter Bunny remembered me, and I also got a large chocolate bunny from CN for helping. All those calories!:eek:

I don't think I'll be organising any parties, gigi, at the moment I couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery!

Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Great Day!

Just had to share the good news with you all!

I got in to see John today, and this evening the staff nurse told me they've just had the result of John's latest heel swab.

IT'S CLEAR!!!!!!!

I don't know whether it's down to the antibiotics, the Viscopaste, or the Manuka honey. I don't care! It worked.

It just shows, don't accept everything the medics say, it pays to fight!

Thank you all so much for the support, you got me through a very difficult time.

Love and hugs,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09