Worried about John

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I feel so helpless.
Oh Hazel, how unfortunate that you cannot get to Linda. She really must be so cut off. Do hope that conditions improve before the funeral. Is it on Wednesday?

Glad that you got to John though. Love n'hugs

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes, it's on Wednesday afternoon Connie, which means I'll miss the unit party. But I suspect John will sleep through it, so it's not really important.

We've had more rain today, so hopefully Linda wull be able to get her car out tomorrow. She had a new BMW on order, and it was delivered the day Des came out of hospital. The garage phoned her on Christmas Eve to ask how she was enjoying her new car -- she's never been able to drive it!:(

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just pop in to see how your both getting on sending you both lots of love big hug . its was also lovely to see a photo of John (((hugs)))

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Very strange day with John today.

He was trying to talk all the time I was there, and CN said he'd been like that all morning. This is a man who has not spoken beyond yes or no for over two years. I couldn't make out what he was trying to say, but at one point he was trying to ask me a question.

Then he started to SING! John was never a singer, the only times I ever heard him were in church. But he was singing, quite loudly.

I said 'Are you singing to me?', and he answered very clearly, 'Yes'.

I'm puzzled, but strangely depressed. I ought to be thrilled, but why can't I get the dying swan out of my mind?:(

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I'm puzzled, but strangely depressed. I ought to be thrilled, but why can't I get the dying swan out of my mind?

Oh Hazel...what a shame that this hasn't uplifted you. I doubt if anyone can explain why John was like this today...and I'd be puzzled too in your shoes.

Did John seem happy..or distressed?

xx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hiya Hazel, i can only hope that you will remember this time with fondness, nobody knows why this happens, but it must have been so special, thinking of you both, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So why can't I stop crying?
Because Hazel, whatever the cause it was an emotional experience and one which took the wind out of your sails.
Instead of stability at the best, or a decline at the worst, nothing prepared you for this.
And it is human nature to seek a reason.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
He seemed happy, gigi, he smiled when I asked if he was singing to me.

So why can't I stop crying?

Maybe because it was so unusual..and you saw a glimpse of the man behind the disease.

Take comfort in the fact that John was happy and connecting with you...:)

xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dry your tears Hazel. No point in looking for answers - there is no rational where any form of dementia is concerned.

Try to accept that, for a short while, John was more like the old John than he has been for a long time. At least you were there to witness for yourself. You probably would have found it incredible if you had heard second hand.

Thinking of you both, and sending love.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
I don't know what to say to you, but I am thinking about you. It is always the most unexpected that throws us the most good or bad. John appeared happy so that is lovely for you both.

sully.

Jan 7, 2010
uk
There was a programme over christmas on tv about a group of alzheimers sufferers and their carers who sing and they all remember the words.:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you everyone.:)

Connie, you're absolutely right, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there.

Sully, I saw the programme, it was brilliant. Unfortunately it's at least five years since John could have done that, he has the form of dementia where speech goes first. That's why today was so amazing.

I'm still on edge, I've been half-expecting a phone call all afternoon. I suppose I won't relax until I see him tomorrow.

Daft, aren't I?:rolleyes:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Hazel, you are not daft. What an emotional experience for you. Thinking of you. Izzy x

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Of course you're not daft Hazel. Such an unexpected, emotional, bitter-sweet surprise - you're bound to be deeply moved by it.

Attachments

• grouphug2.gif
    grouphug2.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 302

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Hazel:
Daft, aren't I?
No you are not! I think as loving spouses our instincts work overtime.

I have not seen David for 3 days until today - I was reminded of his deterioration :(:(:(

I guess you have had a similar break because of the weather - so has John reacted in a most unusual way:confused::confused:.
I understand your fears and hope they are unfounded.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
All we can do Hazel which I'm sure you do all the time is dry our tears and see what tomorrow brings us. But I'm so glad that John seemed happy - a miracle indeed that he tried to communicate with you. God bless him.

xxTinaT

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Think of it as a wonderful present from John. I understand why you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I don't think it will. When you look back to this day, it will be a beautiful memory.