When is the right time for carers to say enough is enough?

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Sorry for slow response.
If you Google Aupairs.com you can sort out an aupair yourself or if you prefer, there are many agencies that vet the candidates for you. Aupairs for the elderly are becoming more and more recognised as a great help for partner carers.....it has saved my life! Our Spanish aupair is wonderful and my wife loves the pampering like getting her hair done nicely which has always been one of my failings!
Thank you. I did do a bit of a search on it but it might be that we get a live in dementia carer to help with my partner. Still a bit undecided. He's having two weeks in respite at the moment and, though I miss him, it's really good to have some time to myself.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
Hi everyone. Happy New Year to one and all and I just want to give you a quick update on how we are getting on.
Our Spanish Au-Pair for the elderly is still with us and her assistance helping me is the only reason my wife is able to still be at home. My dear wife cannot communicate but laughs and chatters away in her own special language. She is unable to dress , wash or feed herself but can still walk with assistance.
As I said, if I was on my own I could not cope but our Au-pair makes it possible and she herself says it is no more difficult (and often easier) to look after my wife than some children she has Au Paired for.
Really, I just want to throw a lifeline to those who could benefit from having an au-pair for the elderly living with them.
Remember, the au-pair is not a carer, you are the carer; the au-pair is simply an extra pair of hands that make it possible for you to cope with your partner at home .
If you are fortunate enough to have a spare bedroom and need help, I recommend you give it some thought.
It has certainly worked for me.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I am so pleased that you have found something that works for you - it just goes to show that in the dementia world thinking out of the box is what often works. Well done you and I hope your au pair continues to be the answer for as long as you want.
I am sure there are many of us on here who have long since reached the end of their tether and are looking for answers, so perhaps other people can or are able to consider this.
Good Luck