What use is a telephone appointment with a GP to a man with FTD? Feeling exasperated

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
We finally got the diagnosis of fronto temporal dementia I expected for my partner (which was copied to our GP surgery). While at the Memory Clinic, the doctor there discussed with us the importance - indeed, my partner’s right - to have in person follow up from his GP. I was staggered today when he received a letter from the surgery offering him a PHONE appointment. Do they know nothing about the condition? His main symptom is difficulty communicating. If they look at his records, they will see he is already referred for Speech Therapy. He can barely communicate face to face. If they talk to him on the phone, he will just murmur agreement with everything they say - because it’s the easiest thing - and they will learn nothing. Although his understanding is still good, and his memory not bad, he is unlikely to follow up on anything the doctor recommends, or tell me what was said, so I can help him to. He may retain and pass on a few random elements of the conversation, often missing the central points. So … with his agreement, I’ve emailed the surgery, as politely but clearly as I can, and asked for a face to face appointment, saying we’re prepared to wait as long as we have to, But I’m still tearing my hair out

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Fingers crossed you get the face to face appointment. It’s ridiculous, they never seem to be able to read any notes prior to an appointment in our experience, makes me wonder sometimes why they make them. I always put the phone on speaker and sit next to my OH whoever he is on the phone too, I also have it recorded on his records that I can speak for him, make decisions on his behalf. They still always ask for him , but at least I know what has been said and can and do interrupt.

Hermann

Sep 24, 2023
I have had numerous telephone appointments with the GP on behalf of my parents. The GP knows enough to understand he will be speaking to me on the phone, not my parents.

It's an arrangement that works very well. There is no power of attorney requirement in order for a GP to do this, i.e. speak to the patient's family rather than the actual patient.

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
Fingers crossed you get the face to face appointment. It’s ridiculous, they never seem to be able to read any notes prior to an appointment in our experience, makes me wonder sometimes why they make them. I always put the phone on speaker and sit next to my OH whoever he is on the phone too, I also have it recorded on his records that I can speak for him, make decisions on his behalf. They still always ask for him , but at least I know what has been said and can and do interrupt.
Thank you. Speakerphone is a good idea. Unfortunately they will call him on the landline this time, but I will remember in future to see if I can get them to use my mobile - if he will agree to it

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
I have had numerous telephone appointments with the GP on behalf of my parents. The GP knows enough to understand he will be speaking to me on the phone, not my parents.

It's an arrangement that works very well. There is no power of attorney requirement in order for a GP to do this, i.e. speak to the patient's family rather than the actual patient.
Thank you. We’re taking baby steps at the moment in terms of me doing things on his behalf: he accepts me going to appointments at the Memory Clinic with him - they invite it - but I’m not sure he’d be ready yet to hand the phone to me. The thing with FTD is, there isn’t much confusion. He is still very self aware, and doesn’t want to hand over his autonomy - nor do I want to take it from him. Ho-hum

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i talk for my husband. he gave them permission to talk to me instead. it was getting to the point they were telling him what he needs to do next eg. make a scan appt and hed forget as soon as he hung up. i had to then phone them and ask what was said and what i needed to do. took twice as long. if he has to go for face-to-face, my daughter or son will go with him to report back to me and help answer their questions.

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
My father was a GP. He retired in c1990. I know, I know, I know. Things have changed: apart from anything else, medical advances mean so much more is expected of them. But I grew up knowing he would never not respond to a patient who asked for his care - when he was on duty, which was 50% of the time because there were two of them in the practice. I could weep

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Maybe this is a good time to get a new handset, large numbers, portable, amplifier button, they aren’t very expensive. You can programme with usually up to 9 speed dial numbers, which would all make it easier for him to use as time goes on. And at one press of the green button they go onto speaker mode. You can also programme to block and screen numbers, very useful for helping to reduce risk of scam calls.